Kid Hauler - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2006, 01:22 PM   #31
Registered Member

I guess it would be in every manufacturer's benefit to not build cars that last forever...

I haven't had mechanical problems with the two Fords I have owned, but electronic and body issues - absolutely!

I think every company has specific strengths and weaknesses that show up in their vehicles. It does seem as if dealing with weaknesses is low on the priority list for most of them.

Old 06-27-2006, 01:32 PM   #32
*shrug*

Quote:
I guess it would be in every manufacturer's benefit to not build cars that last forever...
One of the things I was told at the shop is that this is very true, *shrug* (except, he said, for honda).

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:46 PM   #33
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
(except, he said, for honda).
Of course... Every die-hard says this about they're favorite brand.

I think maintenance is the key to any vehicle lasting a long time. Taxi drivers are religious with their maintenance and it shows in the mileage of some of their vehicles.

I phoned about a Caprice in the paper a few years ago. It was an ex-taxi with 750,000 km (465,838 mi). No motor or transmission replacement/major repairs.

Anyway, I've hijacked this thread enough...
Old 06-27-2006, 01:49 PM   #34
*shrug*

Actually, this guy was a ford guy, and he referred to hondas as "little jap cars," so I doubt it was his favorite brand.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 03:30 PM   #35
Registered Member

Ford guy says Hondas last forever? Okay, so what do I know?
Old 06-27-2006, 10:30 PM   #36
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
My idea of a kid hauler?

A Jaguar E-Type coupe 2+2. Seating for 4.

In all seriousness, I'd look for an old diesel Volvo wagon, and run it on SVO.

Quote:
That's precisely why you can't go into a dealership and buy an EV. Electric motors are good for 100,000+ hours of operation. Do the math as to what that is at say, 60 mph. The EAA is rather conservative at estimating the life of an electric motor in a car at 1 million miles.
The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 11:24 PM   #37
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
yeah, vasectomy. I'm the first in line when the time is right. Why should she go through major surgery when I can have it done in an afternoon?
because men want to be men, or so they say, this greatly reminded me of the family guy epsidoe where peter decides to get one. Ironically that's how I've learned from it in the first place

although I give you props, Matt, you are the real man for doing that for your wife. Real men give respect to their women, not ones that can make babies!

Hey Dax all I got to say is, congrats and when you do have your first born, make sure it goes agaist the statistics in terms of "planning to have a child or not." Since the majority rules towards a one sided figure and I shamefully admit a part of that chunk -_-; As for your car, now you can see why I hate my coupe when I see my wife and kid suffer trying to cozy up in there, and if I had to choose a car right now i'm looking at a hatchback for sure. The cargo carrying capability (right now ONE baby stroller eats up my whole trunk!) is something I could really use when I go out with the family to somewhere.

That and hatch offers great visibility in terms of backing up and changing lanes so ya hatchman coming up soon I hope!
Old 06-28-2006, 04:39 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmcneal
Hey Dax all I got to say is, congrats and when you do have your first born, make sure it goes agaist the statistics in terms of "planning to have a child or not." Since the majority rules towards a one sided figure and I shamefully admit a part of that chunk -_-; As for your car, now you can see why I hate my coupe when I see my wife and kid suffer trying to cozy up in there, and if I had to choose a car right now i'm looking at a hatchback for sure. The cargo carrying capability (right now ONE baby stroller eats up my whole trunk!) is something I could really use when I go out with the family to somewhere.

That and hatch offers great visibility in terms of backing up and changing lanes so ya hatchman coming up soon I hope!
Thanks! I don't think we'll be having an unplanned child. My younger brother is though...he's not even 20 yet. I'm the only family member that knows right now...I keep telling him it's better for him to tell them than for them to find out on their own.

Anyhow, I think we're going to just try the Accord sedan for a while and upgrade from there if needed.

GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote