Lawn Mower Poll - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

View Poll Results: Which would you choose/purchase?
A honda mower for $250 and a $50 off coupon 6 54.55%
A briggs and stratton mower for $150 and a 10% off coupon 5 45.45%
A briggs and stratton mower and other purchases totalling $250 to qualify for the $50 coupon 0 0%
Pay someone to mow the lawn of the vacated house 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2010, 04:07 AM   #11
Registered Member

almost forgot, i got a 3 horse B&S edger that does have a choke and it is more complicated.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:38 AM   #12
Registered Member

A friend gave me a 5.5 hp Honda push mower last year. He had hit something big with it and had bent the blade and crankshaft. I took off the blade and am using it for another project. It runs great (just a little vibration b/c of the bent crank) and a new Honda OEM crank is just $30 should I ever get tired of the vibration. The choke is a really simple lever- it operates a butterfly valve in the carb. The muffler is also well designed so that the engine is nice and quiet. I never owned a Honda mower before (only B & S)- but i am impressed with this engine.

Edit- I will agree that the Honda small engines are more complex/have more features such as:
Overhead cam/valves- but this probably gives better fuel economy
Mechanical governor
Fuel shut off valve

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:32 AM   #13
Site Team / Moderator

My dad still has the same B&S push mower he bought in Kmart for I believe $20 in the late 60's. I remember him saying that after he got married Grandpa got tired of dad borrowing his mower every week, so he gave dad $20, and he bought the cheapest push mower Kmart sold. Dad still has it, still runs great, and it still even has the original spark plug in it. (Has white overspray on it from when the block was painted white) Dad just cleans & regaps the plug every year, and puts it back in. At the end of every season he lets it idle till it runs out of gas so he doesn't have problems with old gas gunking up the carb over winter. Dad also still has a 1954 Simplicity Landlord lawn tractor that he bought used in 1976 (B&S), and a used Ford YT18H lawn tractor with a twin cylinder B&S motor that he bought in 1989.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:07 AM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
Edit- I will agree that the Honda small engines are more complex/have more features such as:
Mechanical governor
Fuel shut off valve
The fuel shut off valve should be on every small engine. Letting the fuel run out of the carb takes a lot less time than letting it run out of the gas tank, unless you want to try to dump it out first.

Are you sure B&S engines don't have a mechanical governor?

bowtieguy, I agree about the prices on used mowers. I also agree on preferring the primer bulb (until it rots away) over the choke. I'm not sure how Honda push mower engines are equipped; that choke I mentioned is on a different kind of Honda small engine.

Where are you getting B&S carburetors cheap? Carburetors are the bane of my existence and if I could get a cheap one whenever one starts treating me wrong instead of trying to fix it...well that'd just be great.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:21 AM   #15
Registered Member

if you recall, from the "suppliers" thread. maybe you did visit the site and decided it wasn't cheap...http://www.psep.biz/index.htm
Old 07-04-2010, 08:53 AM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I guess I must have asked before.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:57 AM   #17
Registered Member

When I was speaking of a "push" mower, I was speaking of a reel-type mower with no engine. Better exercise, but really annoying if you have a very large yard.

Similar to what I grew up with...we didn't even HAVE a power mower until I was nearly 20!

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:46 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I guess I must have asked before.
no worries. cheap is after all relative. when i had my edger carb rebuilt(by a shop) it was ~$50. when my mower carb went, i decided to buy a new one for $20 and install it myself!

your carb new would no doubt be more, but certainly cheaper than letting someone else rebuild it.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:57 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
A friend gave me a 5.5 hp Honda push mower last year. He had hit something big with it and had bent the blade and crankshaft. I took off the blade and am using it for another project. It runs great (just a little vibration b/c of the bent crank) and a new Honda OEM crank is just $30 should I ever get tired of the vibration. The choke is a really simple lever- it operates a butterfly valve in the carb. The muffler is also well designed so that the engine is nice and quiet. I never owned a Honda mower before (only B & S)- but i am impressed with this engine.

Mechanical governor
Fuel shut off valve
its a pushmower, doesnt need OHC...

most (if not all, unsure of the early ones) of the B&S have mechanical governor (easy to disable tho haha)

most new mowers have fuel shutoff.

if you wear ear protection like you should muffler noise isnt an issue.

alot of the newer B&S engines have auto choke/throttle that works great

if its got a throttle lever usually there is a start position (aka choke)

one of the bad designs honda used is in the self propelled system, yea it worked great but the control lever on the gearbox itself is cable operated(not a problem) but that lever is plastic and pretty much pushes on a small metal plate that pushes a gear into the gearbox to engage self propelled. that stupid plastic lever wears out causing the gear to not fully engage or it engages, hit a bump disengages. usually adjusting the cable can "fix" this till it wears all out then oh joy! get to replace the whole gearbox...

also the all plastic mowing decks alot of honda mowers have aren't any lighter than the metal counterparts, hondas just saving money trying to tell us its lighter...(gotta have extra thick/alot more plastic to stand up to the mowing forces)

kinda sounds/acts like when a starter solenoid on a car goes out, will have a second of normal cranking then the gear retracts but starter motor still spins.

like i said go get the $80 walmart special already!

IF the B&S ever gives u hard starting usually juts a shot of carb cleaner down/in the intake (just remove the air filter, either one flathead screw or a tab) and then pull it it will fire over.

the only thing ive ever seen really "wear out" is the lever you have to hold down to start the mower, well thats essentially releasing a parking brake on the flywheel. sometimes that shoe can be worn out, but that depends on how often you stop the mower (just like brakes on a car)

i gotta admit Ive never replaced one, way easier to disable it just take that black wire off, remove the bracket/cable/lever/shoe and it wil start. to stop just short the wire to the block or deck (not your fingers its shorting out the spark is what your doing - be smart lol)

so to counteract all the negativity up there i will give a list of things to look for in a good mower:

1 high back wheels, makes turing easier

2 IF you can find one for a reasonable price ball bearing wheels, makes pushing REALLY easy and the plastic wheels wont wear out

3 comfortable handle position, kinda personal preference as some like the straight bar others like the u shaped thing.

4 brand doesn't really matter (non honda that is) as thier all made by pretty much the same companies with other stickers/colors (just like chevy and GMC is pretty much the same damn thing)

5 fuel shutoff is nice but not completely necessary, if the gastank is lower than the carb it aint needed at all but if its above then id look for one.

6 what HP to get - depends on how thick the grass is, if its alot of weeds or typical grass then 3 hp is plenty, if you have really thick grass then 4-6 (prolly use another mower to figure out how thick is too thick) also depends on how often u mow
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:15 PM   #20
Site Team / Moderator

I thought the reason for the plastic deck on Hondas was so the deck didn't rust out.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote