LED lighting - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-12-2008, 06:26 AM   #11
Registered Member

I started using compact flourescents (CFLs) back when they were $12 to $15 a bulb. Adjusting for inflation, LEDs are cheaper today than CFLs were back then, and will last longer than even the highest quality CFLs. It's the color of the really bright ones that keeps me from getting more of them.

WisJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:20 AM   #12
Registered Member

I was listening to a podcast the other day from Greenlivingideas and they had a guest on that was with a company that was going into production on a dimmable LED screw in light. So something should be available soon.

Toyman321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:18 PM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to baddog671
I've looked up "LED Lighting" on Ebay and there are alot of options on there. However, it seems the specifications of the bulbs are loosely based. Ive seen estimated life from 30,000 hours to 100,000 (either way, very long). And Ive seen consumption rates vary. Again, either way, alot more conservative than standard 60W light bulbs.

I'm thinking of purchasing a few just to see how they are. These go for 6-7$

http://cgi.ebay.com/Free-Shipping-11...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 05-30-2008, 05:35 AM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MiddleMike
I tried out three floodlight type LED's that gave an illumination at about a 50w bulb factor. They were quite harsh as far as lighting, however they were for a stairwell in the basement so I didn't care.

What I learned is that you have to have a pretty clean electrical feed (good sine wave) or they burn out in a matter of months.

Ask me how I learned this.

That said, with good clean electricity they seem to be pretty decent of a concept. Price needs to come down.
MiddleMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 01:36 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleMike View Post
I tried out three floodlight type LED's that gave an illumination at about a 50w bulb factor. They were quite harsh as far as lighting, however they were for a stairwell in the basement so I didn't care.

What I learned is that you have to have a pretty clean electrical feed (good sine wave) or they burn out in a matter of months.

That said, with good clean electricity they seem to be pretty decent of a concept. Price needs to come down.
I'll have to look into that. My CF's don't last long at all.

friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 03:55 PM   #16
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleMike View Post

I'm assuming it was the same way I learned it. Simply put, I no longer trust the "longevity" estimates of home (110v) LED lighting...

However, I still seem to use LED "nightlights" around the house. And I have some nice screw-in fridge/freezer LED "bulbs" (LEDs do well in cold). However, for the moment I just go with CFs for the majority of my house lighting.

Now, that said, LEDs in a car can really be nice for the electrical (and therefore fuel) savings. However, even in a car, you have to shop around (those that buy just on price, I likely to get garbage LEDs that don't light very well).

DracoFelis is offline   Reply With Quote