Little Black Boxes - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2006, 11:18 PM   #11
Driving on E

Re: Little Black Boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
By the way, what are the ties to Jacomo, if you don't mind me askin'? I live in Lee's Summit on the Cass/Jackson line (extreme Southwest edge of town).
I had a long thing written out, but I had some of my facts wrong. Basically, the early mormon settlers lived in Jackson County, MO and were driven out when the state of Missouri issued an extinction order against all Mormons.

For more interesting information about the Mormons and early Missouri, read this exciting tale: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam-ondi-Ahman

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 05:57 AM   #12
Registered Member

Used to Live on the KS Side

I'm not really proud of Missouri's History, even though I've been a resident for only about 8 months now. I used to live on the Kansas side (about 12 years collectively), and when I had to move over to MO, it was kind-of a mental adjustment to accept the nasty past that it has. I know it was a long time ago, and it might sound funny, but maybe some residents think the same way these days as passed on from generations further outward from the city. It's the whole: Kansas was part of the North and MO part of the South during the Civil war. Kansas City was a rough area back then, and even Lawrence (where KU is) was massacred by a rogue faction from MO back in the 1800's, just because they supported the North (the Jayhawkers). Lot of History...

Actually I have some friends that are Mormon, so that's what I was figuring was the connection.

RH77

Old 04-27-2006, 01:13 PM   #13
*shrug*

Missouri's present isn't

Missouri's present isn't very good either. Second state to amend their constituion to outlaw explicitly gay marriage, so yeah, they're clever. Not to mention the plethora of confederate flags you'll see on any given day. *shrug*
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 03:21 PM   #14
Registered Member

Re: Missouri's present isn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Missouri's present isn't very good either. Second state to amend their constituion to outlaw explicitly gay marriage, so yeah, they're clever. Not to mention the plethora of confederate flags you'll see on any given day. *shrug*
I was waiting for that from someone. Yeah, our State Government isn't much to brag about. Luckily my Federal Rep. is a Dem, but everyone else seems to be in the "religious right-wing". Not the best for "open-mindedness". All I can do is vote and bug the crap out of the conservatives in the meantime.

RH77