lock nut removal tool? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2008, 06:24 AM   #11
Site Team

I've used these tools before, and they are difficult but workable. Good chance you'll mess up the wheels too.

I always advise people to remove wheel locks and go back to regular lug nuts, this stuff happens all the time.

-Bob C.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:29 AM   #12
Registered Member

that is the plan, chuck the lock nuts and go with plain old lug nuts. I did think it was odd that a car with factory wheels had the locking lug nuts on it but I figured whatever. when we bought the thing, it had the key and the original 4 regular lugs with it (the ones the locking ones replaced.

I plan on getting just regular lugs to go back on it.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:40 AM   #13
Registered Member

might as well since one locknut is useless in preventing theft. 3 is best.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:46 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
the problem is that the few places that I have been have no idea what I am talking about when I mention it. also, I am up in a hospital today because my wife is having surgury. it doesn't give me much time to run around.

I just went ahead and bit the bullet and bought the tool. that way if I ever have a friend that needs it, I have it. also, my buddy moved out this weekend and left his impact wrench behind. he told me to hang on to it until I get all this stuff straightened out.
hope your wife is okay!

i got the best of both worlds w/ my lug nuts...

they have such tight clearance, a standard tire iron will not fit to loosen them. kinda like a no-lock lock. i use a socket and breaker bar.

wonder how many thieves carry a socket set w/ them?
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:54 PM   #15
Registered Member

the wife is doing fine. she came through it better than last time and the dr said it went very well.

another think about the safety issue is that I rarely even lock my doors in my car so to be concerned with the rims is a little crazy. especially factory ones on top of that. I know it only takes once to change my mind on that one. but I have always said that I don't really have anything to steal. In my car I have a very...very...bottom of the line CD player that was around $100 over 4 years ago and that is it. on top of that, my car stays pretty dirty so I would think that my car wouldn't be a target. my wife's vehicle is completely stock with nothing aftermarket (maybe a water bottle in the back seat) so there again not really a target.

my main concern is that she will get a flat and have no way to change the tire. she does have a cell phone but still that is just a bad situation to be in. I hope to get this tool before the end of the week and take care of this issue.

thanks for all the advice from everyone

*edit* I figure that thieves (if they are any good) would have quite an arsenal of tools but also be after the 20+ inch rims that go for several times what my car is worth. there again trying not to be a target. funny story, with gas so expensive, someone ask me if I was worried about someone stealing my gas. I was parked between two SUVs that held about double what my car does. I said nope, they'd hit all of y'all first.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:58 PM   #16
Registered Member

Around Charlotte thieves have been targeting Honda's that are for sale and sitting near the road and stealing the tires and rims. They showed one on the news a few weeks ago where the thieves left the car sitting on empty milk crates. I have a locking lug nut remover that I would sell cheap if it would work, but it is for aftermarket locks. If you could get a close up picture of the lug locks you have and post it I could see if it looked like the same shape as the one I have. I could get it in the mail and it would probably only take 2-3 days to get to you. I just wouldn't want to see you damage your wheels in the process of trying to remove them using the incorrect tool. You said in one of your previous posts that you didn't have an impact wrench. Harbor Freight had an electric impact (1/2" drive) on sale when I was in there Saturday for $39.99, but I think the sale ended either yesterday or today. I have one just like it that I bought several years ago and it has a lot of torque, but isn't adjustable. You could always check and see if it is still on sale or not.
#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:20 PM   #17
Site Team / Moderator

I once ordered a wheel key for my Buick - it didn't cost much. Under $10 I'm sure. Other than that, check the gloveboxes of similar cars in a scrapyard. You just might find one.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:55 PM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
I once ordered a wheel key for my Buick - it didn't cost much. Under $10 I'm sure. Other than that, check the gloveboxes of similar cars in a scrapyard. You just might find one.
An almost-fit could probably do the job with a little bit of creative grinding, as long as you don't intend to use it too many times.

I know you already ordered the tool, but now we're all just taking the topic and running with it so we can make and collect these ideas...
Old 09-22-2008, 07:46 PM   #19
Registered Member

I'm not sure what style of lock you have, but the trick that has worked for me twice now on two different types is to sacrifice a socket that won't quite fit over it. Hammer it on. Turn it off. No welding. No special tools. Just one slightly hosed socket and ruined locking lugnut, unless your aim with the hammer sucks.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:15 AM   #20
Registered Member

I actually already ordered the tool and it comes in a kit with two sizes and according to my measuremetns, one of the two should fit. My buddy that just moved out this weekend, left his impact wrench behind. I don't use impact wrenches very often so there is really no need in getting one just to remove these lugs. also, he only lives about 30 minutes away anyway so he can help me tear it up.

as far as continuing the discussion, discus away. i have my solution but there may be others out there with this same problem. if there weren't then they wouldn't make this handy dandy tool to take care of it.

« Lawn Mower Help | ? »