Long Road Trips and Longest trip - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2016, 04:17 PM   #1
Registered Member

Long Road Trips and Longest trip

I see lots of posts about driving slow and coasting but how many of the members go on long road trips on a regular basis and just enjoy the ride. ??

We normally go on one long trip per year unless travelling out of the Canada / U.S. area.

Average trip is about 5000 - 6000 KM and longest trip was a little over 15,500 KM.

Planned a 6000 KM trip this year but Wife's upcoming operation has made us postpone it to next year.

Any other long trekkers out there??

You can convert KM to miles by multiplying by app 0.62

BlueRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 04:50 PM   #2
Registered Member

A couple of years ago i drove to the top of Scotland and back, around 1,200 miles in 3-4 days.
I'd like to do it again this year.
Had a 900 mile round trip to a Scottish Island 10 years ago.
We live near the North York Moors - each weekend for the last month i make an 80 - 100 mile scenic drive and walk.
The hills kill my economy!

Old 08-13-2016, 04:56 PM   #3
Registered Member

We found bits of a crashed German bomber near here! The heather is turning purple, so i'm up there most weekends. Not a mammoth road trip, but driving for pleasure.
I used to be engaged to a girl 300 miles away, and each weekend was a drive there and back - my diesel at the time could cover 600 miles on £36!
(For all Canadians & Americans, that was an incredibly cheap cost). That was overnight motorway drudgery though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160806_105217.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	2258  
Old 08-13-2016, 05:10 PM   #4
Registered Member

In fact, back in 1994, when i first had a car, i drove 4,500 miles around the UK in 3 and a half weeks - all around England, Wales and Scotland (including Orkneys and Outer Hebrides).
I'd love the lack of responsibility (and money!) to be able to do that again.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:31 PM   #5
Registered Member

I just drove from Ontario Canada to Florida USA (1900 km = 1178 miles) 1-way, at 50 MPH. I was hypermiling, and enjoying the casual, unhurried, right-lane drive. I do this 2 or 3 times a year to visit a close friend. He flies up, 1-way, and we drive down to his place together over 2 days.

2015 Audi Q5 "Progressiv" + S-Line + Scuba Blue, 3.0L V6 TDI
(Highest fuel economy for all Audi Q5s on Fuelly!)

SteveMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:57 AM   #6
Registered Member

Those are some pretty epic trips! Never really done more than 1000 miles in a week, the UK is pretty small! I'd love to do more Euro road trips though, just never got around to organising anything, difficult when friends and family work so many different jobs etc. My courier friend typically does 50,000 to 75,000 miles a year across Europe in his van, he's clocked over 575,000 miles in his 2006 Mercedes (not to mention 30,000 in his new van, and 88,000 in his 2013 little van too!)

I typically loose patients on big trips, not fussed over saving fuel. I'd rather just get to my destination as quickly and safely as possible and then relax. The highway stints usually yield good figures for any car anyway, so even without much effort, you can still save a lot of fuel.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:27 AM   #7
Registered Member

Draigflag: Try measuring your fuel economy at a steady 50 MPH for several hours. You have a very respectable lifetime number on your Chloe, but you'll get a "mind blown" pure-highway economy-mode number in pure highway driving :-) If you ever try it, please email me to let me know what you got. I suggest (1) fill-up near a highway, (2) drive at 50 MPH for at least 3 hours, (3) fill-up near a highway, just to reduce or eliminate the effects of non-highway driving.

2015 Audi Q5 "Progressiv" + S-Line + Scuba Blue, 3.0L V6 TDI
(Highest fuel economy for all Audi Q5s on Fuelly!)

SteveMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:35 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
Those are some pretty epic trips! Never really done more than 1000 miles in a week, the UK is pretty small!
I typically loose patients on big trips, not fussed over saving fuel. I'd rather just get to my destination as quickly and safely as possible and then relax. The highway stints usually yield good figures for any car anyway, so even without much effort, you can still save a lot of fuel.
While I have not done it I have friends who have driven up to 2300 KM in a 24 hour period with no stops. Of course they can not move around for a few days LOL (Winnipeg to Vancouver)

Longest trip I ever had by time was 12 hours and that was because a flood had closed the Trans Canada Highway just before the mountains and I had to travel North to go to the next highway. Usually drive a maximum of 8 hours a day and that includes stops for food and rest breaks. With stops for photo ops sometimes the time in the car is very short.
BlueRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:12 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMak View Post
Draigflag: Try measuring your fuel economy at a steady 50 MPH for several hours. You have a very respectable lifetime number on your Chloe, but you'll get a "mind blown" pure-highway economy-mode number in pure highway driving :-) If you ever try it, please email me to let me know what you got. I suggest (1) fill-up near a highway, (2) drive at 50 MPH for at least 3 hours, (3) fill-up near a highway, just to reduce or eliminate the effects of non-highway driving.
I'd love to Steve, but the geographic nature of the UK makes that impossible. I live in Wales, a tiny country to the left of England, covered in steep hills, valleys and more twists and turns than a full series of Game of Thrones! We don't have any highways nearby, I'm assuming my nearest one is well over an hour away, but even over the boarder in England it would be difficult to find a stretch of road long and flat enough to do any experimenting. The closest I got was a fairly long stint heading North at a constant 70 MPH where I yielded about 74 MPG roughly.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:28 AM   #10
Registered Member

I used to get 80 mpg at a constant 56 mph in an old citroen diesel, and 86 mpg in my last car, the i20. Not had a chance to take the Prius on a 2-300 highway eco marathon yet...