Low Disc Space - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-19-2011, 01:02 AM   #1
Registered Member

Low Disc Space

Low disc space.
That flag is popping-up constantly.
My hard drive is divided and 2/3 of it is unused.
How do I move the partition?

623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:00 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vxdude
Re: Low Disc Space

If you are running Xp you need to google for G-parted, its a great tool for expanding your drive. If you have Windows 7 there is a tool embeded on the OS

vxdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
Registered Member

that and youve probably accumulated alot of crap. cant hurt to spend some time to go thru old programs, files, dump internet cookies etc

I recomend C cleaner for doing junk cleanup (like empty folders or files that belong to nothing)
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:00 PM   #4
Registered Member

I'm with VetteOwner running a disc cleaner and defragging the hard drive usually does wonders.
#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:10 PM   #5
Site Team / Moderator

You can right click the drive, click properties, and do disk cleanup. Its not prefect, but its a good start.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:49 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

CCleaner is great. I highly recommend it for everyone. It's small, simple, effective, and free. It's not going to solve all your problems but it's well worth the small effort.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #7
Registered Member

Right after I asked for help on the 19th, I was in the process of downloading software to move the partition when everything locked-up.
I held the mouse icon over the Carbonite icon and it was backing up files, which can suck up memory, and I didn't want to wait and, since nothing would work, to stop Carbonite I unplugged the modem....and ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE!

BLUE SCREEN

Well, I eventually got the Blue Screen to calm down to where I could get to 'safe mode' in blue screen, but.....it was caught in an endless loop.

So, I inserted my Windows XP installation disc, figuring I'd start over and....the endless loop said Windows XP was not installed on this computer.

Caught in a loop that always took me back to where I was, I did what any clever computer user would do....took it to my computer guy.

Next day I was told that the hard drive failed.

So, I had them upgrade to a 500 gig IDE hard drive. And they did their computer-guy thing of; clean/reloading the operating system, install and configuring the hardware drivers, Adobe Reader, Flash and Java and Carbonite.

Cost: $198.33.

They were happy to use Carbonite to replace all the lost stuff that was on the dead drive, maybe because there would be less work for them to do.
Because I am at a loss when it comes to folders and such, the Monday after, the 24th, I handed control to the computer guy, on line, and he straightened things out and deleted a bunch of junk.
I Haven't found the Firefox bookmarks, but we have the Internet Explorer Favorites. So, things are pretty much the way they were.

The moral of the story? Back-up is good.
623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:15 PM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatto View Post
The moral of the story? Back-up is good.
This cannot be said enough. Backup your data or expect to lose it. Recovering data from a drive with a physical failure is VERY expensive (thousands of dollars).
Old 01-29-2011, 04:31 PM   #9

When you can buy terabyte hard drives for $49, it's hard to justify not having a backup of everything you value.

FrugalFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote