Lyft co-founder says human drivers to be illegal in America - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2016, 10:17 AM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. View Post
Elon Musk is glad to sell you a car. Just fork over 100 grand and accept 10 grand a year in depreciation, if you're lucky.
You're too kind. I think the depreciation on ALL electric cars is steeper.

In the San Francisco Bay Area, you can buy a 2011 Leaf for USD5.9k and 2013 Tesla S for USD43k.

ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:52 AM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Elon Musk is glad to sell you a car. Just fork over 100 grand and accept 10 grand a year in depreciation, if you're lucky.
Depreciation of electric cars was discussed in another topic. It's steep at the minute as battery development is happening quick, so much like smart phones, what seems awesome today will soon be yesterday's news. If you look at what Renault did with the Zoe recently, they managed to increase the range to an official 250, pretty much double, without changing the size or shape. This kind of thing will continue, in another few years a 500 mile range will be average, and battery leasing will take away the initial expensive purchase and fear of replacement for most people in a few years down the line. This business model is popular here with the Zoe and Leaf, and as battery costs fall, so will leasing costs.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 11:02 AM   #23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
Depreciation of electric cars was discussed in another topic. It's steep at the minute as battery development is happening quick, so much like smart phones, what seems awesome today will soon be yesterday's news. If you look at what Renault did with the Zoe recently, they managed to increase the range to an official 250, pretty much double, without changing the size or shape. This kind of thing will continue, in another few years a 500 mile range will be average, and battery leasing will take away the initial expensive purchase and fear of replacement for most people in a few years down the line. This business model is popular here with the Zoe and Leaf, and as battery costs fall, so will leasing costs.
Hope they offer a battery purchase, as well as leasing option. Don't want to trade paying the petrol company to now having to pay the "battery company", so to speak.

Plus, while an old car battery may not be viable for the vehicle, it will still have enough utility to use for home energy storage, such as charging during off-peak pricing hours and discharging into the household during peak pricing hours.

The new battle cry is "You can have my old car battery when you can pry it off the wall of my home."
Old 12-19-2016, 11:05 AM   #24
Registered Member

Gee, Paul, I just noticed you're only getting 34.6 mpg with your Peugeot diesel. Are you not trying very hard?
Old 12-19-2016, 11:13 AM   #25
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewChewTrain View Post
Hope they offer a battery purchase, as well as leasing option. Don't want to trade paying the petrol company to now having to pay the "battery company", so to speak.

Plus, while an old car battery may not be viable for the vehicle, it will still have enough utility to use for home energy storage, such as charging during off-peak pricing hours and discharging into the household during peak pricing hours.

The new battle cry is "You can have my old car battery when you can pry it off the wall of my home."
Yes the option to buy instead of lease is there, but apparently leasing is more popular. If you buy it, then you are responsible for replacement, if you keep the car that long. Leasing will help depreciation, as some people are put off buying an older ev from fear of having to replace the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewChewTrain View Post
Gee, Paul, I just noticed you're only getting 34.6 mpg with your Peugeot diesel. Are you not trying very hard?
You didn't see my new thread? I've upgraded to a hot hatch GTI with 270 bhp, what a car this is!

Old 12-19-2016, 12:15 PM   #26
Registered Member

Quote:
This will happen, maybe quicker than expected, maybe longer, regardless of anyone's opinions, incredible changes are happening. I mean we didn't think someone racist who threatened to ban 1,600,000,000 people for no apparent reason other than their religious beliefs could ever be supported by a Nation and elected President, but hey, it's a strange World sometimes.
Appropriate post in a thread on automated vehicles?
Old 12-19-2016, 12:16 PM   #27
Registered Member

Quote:
And of the 55,147 incidents, 14,306 deaths, and 29,367 injuries in the US this year, think of all that money spent on funerals, life long medical treatment, medication etc etc. Murder is a very profitable business
Another appropriate post on an automated vehicle thread?
Old 12-19-2016, 01:58 PM   #28
Registered Member

Quote:
Appropriate post in a thread on automated vehicles?
Quote:
Another appropriate post on an automated vehicle thread?
More appropriate than talking about depreciation of electric vehicles lol.