Masterful Presentation on the Current State and Future of Alternative Energies - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2017, 09:09 PM   #1
Registered Member

Masterful Presentation on the Current State and Future of Alternative Energies

Exponential Cost-Savings of Clean Energy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eOFokM3lUI

ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:28 PM   #2
Registered Member

Superb presentation.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:10 PM   #3
Registered Member

JockoT, do you think you'll ever give up car ownership when self-driving cars become wide spread taxis?
Old 08-02-2017, 06:48 PM   #4
Registered Member

Great video, thanks for sharing.

Just as a side note about the Tesla 3; the average new car price in the USA is around $36,000 but the average citizen cannot afford a car that high. I'm hoping that the car industry will not burst its bubble when the Tesla 3 is finally starting production. Originally the Model 3 was $30,000; but to get the extended range, auto pilot and have a color option; the Model 3 will be more like $58,000. That's almost double for a car that most people thought will come with these options as standard. Anyways, I'm glad the people who put a deposit down are taking a hit for the rest of us.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:41 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2spd View Post

Just as a side note about the Tesla 3; the average new car price in the USA is around $36,000 but the average citizen cannot afford a car that high. I'm hoping that the car industry will not burst its bubble when the Tesla 3 is finally starting production. Originally the Model 3 was $30,000; but to get the extended range, auto pilot and have a color option; the Model 3 will be more like $58,000. That's almost double for a car that most people thought will come with these options as standard. Anyways, I'm glad the people who put a deposit down are taking a hit for the rest of us.
Yep. I call that price creeping "nibbling". Tesla is taking a page out of the Porsche sales book. The base price doesn't seem so bad, but the extras is where they "get ya".

1/2 the cost of EVs is in the battery pack. As the price of batteries become cheaper AND the tech finds more ways to pack more energy density, the price of EVs will come down. VERY affordable cars are on the way.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:56 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewChewTrain View Post
JockoT, do you think you'll ever give up car ownership when self-driving cars become wide spread taxis?
I cannot see it happening, here in the UK, in my lifetime. Perhaps in big cities it may start to be introduced, but the UK has a lot of long distance commuting (I used to drive 80 miles to work, and the same home at the end of my shift).
What it would do, if it did take off here very soon, is free me from getting up at dark o'clock just to run my wife to her work.
I am afraid thought, it is not for me. I love driving. I look for excuses to go out and drive.
I even go out for a "run" just for the fun of it.
Next year, because of my age, I have to reapply for my licence. I intend to take a driver assessment to ensure I am still up to scratch, but the time will come, God willing, when the DVLA will rescind my licence, and then I will welcome driverless cars with open arms.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:11 AM   #7
Registered Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What a great answer!!!!!!!!
Me too.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:02 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2spd View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewChewTrain View Post
Yep. I call that price creeping "nibbling". Tesla is taking a page out of the Porsche sales book. The base price doesn't seem so bad, but the extras is where they "get ya".

1/2 the cost of EVs is in the battery pack. As the price of batteries become cheaper AND the tech finds more ways to pack more energy density, the price of EVs will come down. VERY affordable cars are on the way.
It isn't just a page from Porsche, but one from nearly every luxury/high end brand. Tesla is a luxury brand, and this is the pricing structure they have used for the Model S and X from the beginning. Years before they even started taking reservations for the Model 3, Tesla and Musk stated the car was going to be one in the same segment as the BMW 3 series. That model ranges from $33k to $50k on engine and drive train choice, before options start getting added. People shocked by the price of a fully specced out Model 3 weren't paying attention.

Now, I believe Tesla would have loved to offer the car for less, but they also have to make a profit to stay in business. As it is, the $35k base Model 3 is mostly likely a better buy than the Bolt. Its range is 20 to 30 miles less, but it doesn't cost extra to get the DC fast charging hardware on the car, and the Supercharger network is by far the widest and fastest fast charge one in the US.

Then while new plug ins can be too pricey for many, some great deals can be found on used ones.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:33 AM   #9
Registered Member

I regularly visit the web sites for luxury cars, and "configure" my dream car. You can regularly double the base price once you get your teeth into it!
Old 08-03-2017, 08:22 AM   #10
Registered Member

This Ferrari has a whopping £80,000 or $104,000 worth of "extras"

https://youtu.be/IUTrmIXQCcc

There are plenty of so called "mainstream" EV's now that, if you know how to car shop, you can get for the equivalent price of a similar sized petrol or diesel. The Zoe with 250 mile official range can be had for £12,500, the same as a mid spec Clio petrol/diesel. The VW Up EV can be had for a similar price to a high spec petrol version too. And as mentioned, used examples are even cheaper. People see the "official" price and have a heart attack, I very much doubt anyone pays the official price, I never have.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote