Michael Moore's new movie - Sicko - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2007, 05:56 PM   #1
Registered Member

Michael Moore's new movie - Sicko

Saw this movie last Sunday. It is definitely not a balanced look at the health care system fiasco we have in the US but it does show that we are behind several other countries with the level of care for all citizens. It's not entirely serious - it is funny in spots.

Worth the $4 I paid to watch it at the theatre in Flint, MI. (Michael Moore was born and raised there).

Check it out.

jadziasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:57 PM   #2
Registered Member

He toned his manner down a lot. I liked the the movie. Other countries aren't perfect, but there are things we could learn from them.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:33 AM   #3
Registered Member

Sorry, not from that jackass. Getting info from Michael Moore is like getting your info from Al Gore or Rush Limbaugh. What you get is heavily twisted with a political agenda, and finding the kernel of truth is like playing Where's Waldo on a matchbook with a magnifying glass. Wish all those political SOBs would drop of the face of the earth, both liberal and conservative. Except Ann Coulter, she's entertaining.
Telco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:44 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedgeo View Post
He toned his manner down a lot. I liked the the movie. Other countries aren't perfect, but there are things we could learn from them.
Yeah, like how to ruin a healthcare system by letting the government run it! Glad we are smart enough to have stayed away from that. I'll take the US healthcare system any day.

-Bob C.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:19 PM   #5
Registered Member

Oh, come on. Don't you want for our healthcare system to be more like the DMV? :-)
Old 07-11-2007, 07:33 PM   #6
Registered Member

haha the DMV is liek a POW camp...evil place that your trapped in for hours! least ive only had to go to one twice...
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:35 PM   #7
Registered Member

I don't see how the basic presumption, that for profit health care isn't exactly great for it's patients, can be flawed. While it is melodramatic, I'd rather have someone make a big deal out of something significant like our flawed health care system than out of something insignificant like gay marriage. And for the record I don't think homosexual couples should be married, but then again, I don't think any couples should be married in the eyes of the gubberment. Separation of church and state said what?
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 06:53 AM   #8
Registered Member

Regardless of what anybody thinks of Michael Moore, Al Gore, Rush Limbaugh, or Mr. Coulter etc., ignoring what they have to say would be perilous. There are people who believe every word they speak at face value and never bother to ask the more in depth questions about issues or attempt to verify their validity. It is up to the thinking folk of this nation to discover the truth as much as we can for ourselves and to correct the inaccuracies, falacies, and outright lies that are told.

Frankly, Bowling for Columbine turned me off to Michael Moore's style in a big way. That said, I have no problem handing over the money to see one of his movies because he is at least asking questions! You may not like what or how he's asking it, but many of the questions aren't getting asked on any public level anywhere else.

That fact is, most US citizens don't understand the depth of the greed and profit mongering employed by the health insurance industry. It's not our doctors or our legal system that is the problem, it's the fact that the CEO for United Healthcare somehow managed to make over 1 billion dollars last year for example. Who do you think he made that money off of? It wasn't low tax paying rich people. How do you think he made so much? Deny, deny, deny. If they never authorize a needed procedure, they never have to pay for it.

I would much rather deal with a system that is slow and sure than one that is setup to save money for the benefit of shareholders. Health care should not be a for profit industry no matter how you slice it, because privatized insurance exists for the sole purpose of making money which affects the people who can least afford it the most.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 08:10 AM   #9
Supporting Member

The healthcare industry is a crock. It tripple charges people who don't have insurance like myself and has become nothing more than huge prescription drug dispensery. The US healthcare system is not out to cure you its here to profit. Period! Then factor in the huge food industry that we have that sells diabetes/heart disease in box and you have a nice catch22 with the 2 industries leaning heavily on each other.

Why is that everytime someone I know gets "diagnosed" they don't get sent to a nutritionist?

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 08:27 AM   #10
Registered Member

I believe that we are approaching critical mass on this issue regardless. The number of people dumped or chinced out of health insurance coverage that is affordable continues to climb as well as the number of bankruptcies related to it. Still, as an employee of a company with what appears to be some of the best health insurance in the industry, it's amazing how few of my co-workers really get what's going on every time the company attempts to negotiate our benefits down. "Just keep voting republican" I tell them. "Rush Limbaugh would never lie to you." "Shaun Hannity isn't paid by a billionaire." "Bill O'Reilly isn't a pervert."

Oops, my sarcasm is showing. <zip>

Better now . .

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote