Minimal Full Bathroom - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2009, 09:12 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
If resale value is a concern, there's no way such a tight bathroom will do. That will turn off most people, even if they're not portly. People like to have stuff in their bathroom, and space.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:18 AM   #12
Registered Member

This is the minimal bathroom design; I can expand it from here as required. I like to take layouts to their extremes as a design exercise. For some more background, I want a very small house, but that increases the surface area to volume ratio, so I'm considering two separate units so I can rent one perhaps. Or I may just beef up the walls on a single one.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:23 AM   #13
Registered Member

Make a 10ft wide 50ft long 2 story apartment between two nice large 40x50 places you can rent for a good sum... let them pay for heating and AC
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:26 AM   #14
Registered Member

As long as I sound proof it! I want to try and put bathrooms and closets between the units for some deadening value. I could modify this design to use an along the wall door as well (rest beside the toilet). I did that with a half bath I added to an old house at the top of some stairs (safety hazard otherwise).

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 08-25-2009, 09:35 AM   #15
Registered Member

Built in bookshelves will work pretty good too.... as long as you make them small enough not to stand a stereo on...
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:40 AM   #16
Registered Member

Hmmm...I've been thinking of noise from them, but what about my machine tools? Have to ponder that one.

co de pen den cy

Old 08-25-2009, 09:59 AM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
What about noise from the bathrooms?
Old 08-25-2009, 10:42 AM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
hahahahahahaha!

What about Insulated Concrete Foam walls? A local company, Rastra, makes whole buildings out of that stuff. I only know of them because we take the truckloads of foam that our insulators come in to them for recycling. Great product though and should more than block any noise.

Not sure how expensive it is now but when I was working construction back in Texas we found that having exterior walls made of that plywood laminated foam at 6 inches thick and 12" ceiling(they put 2x12 beams in them) came out to only a fraction more than typical building after labor is calculated in. It's stupidly fast too. Foundation poured and set and 2 days later the roof was being put on. Even had the window and door holes pre-cut so we started laying things on the foundation Monday and by Friday it only needed half the siding left to pass as a real house(if you didn't look inside). Mind you, this was a 5 guy team that only contracted out the siding work but unlike traditional building if you decided you wanted an extra window you were SOL.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:18 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Definitely second place to noise from bedrooms, IMO.

I do my own labor, so that changes things a bit. Some places ban those concrete forms for termite reasons (or so I've heard). Nifty tech, though. I'm researching sound proofing in general and it's pretty encouraging.

I was thinking that getting rid of my loud machines and putting the rent money towards paying to have parts made may be a smart way to go. It's not like I enjoy machining.

co de pen den cy

Old 08-26-2009, 11:37 AM   #20
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
What about brick? You can sheetrock over it like a normal wall but it'd be far from it and if it is the wall between bathrooms and closets you don't have to worry about people messing up the wall trying to stick a picture on it.