misc tv info: monster garage EV; fifth gear - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-10-2006, 11:50 AM   #1
Registered Member

misc tv info: monster garage EV; fifth gear

fyi...

- monster garage is doing an EV in tonight's episode. i think it's a 60's chevy with lithium batts. dragster style.

- also, for you fans of u.k. motoring shows, fifth gear's new season starts today. warm up your favourite bittorrent client...

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 05:28 PM   #2
Registered Member

watched the show and

watched the show and recorded it. The car was able to pull off a 14.53 in the 1/4. With some slicks I'm sure he'll pull high 13's. Not bad at all.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 05:36 PM   #3
Registered Member

cool. as it turns out, the

cool. as it turns out, the EV show didn't air here tonight (discovery channel canada). they're still doing old episodes. and i don't see this ep in the schedule for the next 2 weeks either

did you record it digitally?

i'm hoping someone on the EV list did and will post the file for those of us in television backwoods hinterland.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:46 PM   #4
Registered Member

Re: cool. as it turns out, the

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
cool. as it turns out, the EV show didn't air here tonight (discovery channel canada). they're still doing old episodes. and i don't see this ep in the schedule for the next 2 weeks either

did you record it digitally?

i'm hoping someone on the EV list did and will post the file for those of us in television backwoods hinterland.
No, I recorded on the VCR

they used about 400 cordless batteries for drills and made 3 1/4 mile runs. The last one was the best because they tuned the system for max.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:10 PM   #5
Driving on E

Re: cool. as it turns out, the

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
If someone did please let me know. I'd love to watch it.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:21 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
If you liked that show, read

If you liked that show, read this topic and view the videos/images present for a ****load of high performance EVs and documentation on them:

http://www.gassavers.org/forum_topic...onopolies.html

The Monster Garage show was a bit misleading. Rich Rudman frequently posts on the EV list, and had pointed out many flaws. Those I remember(they may be off some, and I'm not quoting Rich directly):

First of all, traction wasn't the only problem that car had. It was rusted to hell whenn it was brought in, and the throttle had to be babied to ekep the car from ripping itself in half. With proper traction, it may have gotten high 12s, low 13s.

Second, Jessie apparently didn't know what the hell he was doing, and made things very difficult for the build team.

Third, the build cost was inaccurate. These batteries are not produced in volume to keep prices that low! In reality, this was a $250,000 build.

Fourth, charging this thing was a *****. Each battery had to be taken out individually and charged. This took hours due to the danger involved. If I remember correctly, Rich was developing a charging scheme for them so this wouldn't need to be done, but NOT during the course of the show since time was so lacking.

Fifth, I don't know if the show mentioned this as I was alerted it was on 20 minutes in, but Rich named the car "Bella the Red". I think you should know that.

Apparently, the car gets about 60 miles range and requires a massive 500 Wh/mile. It is an unaerodynamic brick after all, with alignment problems, old tires, no traction, and about 4,500 pounds weight. That same battery pack in a modern car like say, a Toyota Prius, would take it 150-200 miles. Further, my guess is that with alignment correction, new tires, shaved weight from the battery boxes(Bringing the car to around 4,000 pounds), synthetic transmission oil, ands other basic improvemetns, the car could eek out 80-100 miles range and 300-375 wh/mile efficiency.
The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:34 PM   #7
Driving on E

I just watched the show, and

I just watched the show, and I really enjoyed it. IT's the first time I've seen monster garage before.

I do think using the tool batteries was a bit stupid, especially considering the danger involved in removing them for recharge.

This did make me want to build an EV though... maybe next year
Old 04-19-2006, 11:23 AM   #8
Registered Member

for anyone who missed the

for anyone who missed the show, it's out as a torrent now if you want to see it. program i'm getting now is called : Monster.Garage.xvid.5x05.77.avi
Old 04-19-2006, 11:33 AM   #9
Driving on E

on sunday they made a 9

on sunday they made a 9 second vw bug... it was hotness