Modern Interpretations of Car Classics - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-24-2017, 08:37 AM   #1
Registered Member

Modern Interpretations of Car Classics

I think Ford has done a good job with the modern redesign of the Mustang.

But, most reinterpretations are a failure.

The original Dodge Challenger had a much wider stance to height ratio. The new version looks like a fat woman trying to shove her foot into a small shoe.

The ORIGINAL Mini Cooper is like your high school / college sweetheart; not very sophisticated, but still lots of fun.

The NEW Mini Cooper is like seeing your sweetheart at a 50 year, college reunion. While she's more sophisticated, she's also grown much fatter. She's wearing "a lot of makeup and now wears a cute dress".

Would you take her back?

ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:17 PM   #2
Registered Member

I've never understood this retro thing when the real deal exists, but that's just me...I'm not that keen on modern cars to begin with.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:33 PM   #3
Registered Member

The new MINI is a contradiction in terms. And pug ugly to boot.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:15 AM   #4
LDB
Registered Member

I like the Mustang/Challenger/Camaro reincarnations in that order but the Mustang significantly more than the other two. I like the Mini ok but liked it more about a decade ago before especially the rear lights became so ungainly. I'd take any of the 4 that someone gave me, probably even with a caveat that it must be my car for the duration. I probably wouldn't go buy one but if I did it would be the Mustang or maybe the Mini to join in with some of their fun events like crossing the Mackinac etc..

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:39 AM   #5
Registered Member

I also don't get the retro thing or nostalgia. The first MINI reboot was pretty okay, but it has since wandered from its namesake and morphed into something else. Mustang? I feel some incarnations have been faithful to the original, but for the most part, not so much.

For the most part, "Modern Interpretations of Car Classics" come across as more of a parody of the original rather than paying homage to the original... similar to drag-queens doing celebrities.

One notable example of it done right is the Porsche 911. The 911 is a 54-year-old design, which has evolved over 7 distinct generations, with some minor face-lifts in between. Today's 911 (the 991.2 body style) is clearly a 911, but it does not pretend to be an old car revived, or a parody of a classic. It stands very well on its own, even if you don't know its heritage. In my view, today's 911 is one of the most beautiful cars around, as well as being a "contemporary classic," expressed purely, without gimmicks, trendiness, or marketing hype. I think this is what's missing in the "Modern Interpretations of Car Classics", for the most part.

2015 Audi Q5 "Progressiv" + S-Line + Scuba Blue, 3.0L V6 TDI
(Highest fuel economy for all Audi Q5s on Fuelly!)

SteveMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:14 PM   #6
Registered Member

Still miss my little fiat 500 Abarth, huge compared to the original, but still a small car, so they managed to retain its character, and didn't overstyle it either. Made you feel like a supercar owner everyday!

Too many manufacturers take it too seriously, like the Mini, retro reincarnations are not supposed to serious, they're supposed to be fun, like tribute bands are
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020907lr.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	2392  

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:35 PM   #7
Registered Member

I don't like the look of the modern Mustang and Camaro, the Challenger is ok. I truly believe that the new Camaro with the V-6 or V-8 is the best value out there, BUT I can't get past its moronic looks and the claustrophobic interior; the outward visibility is like driving a tank, you can't see most of the things around you. I also don't like the look of the Mini, Fiat 500 or the VW Beetle.

This is what happened to Mini, which is sad

Regarding the Porsche 911, I'm with Jeremy Clarkson with regards to that car. As a car enthusiast I should like that car, but I cannot like a car that's flawed from design. A sports car should never have the engine mounted in the back, that's the least efficient way going around corners. I know that Porsche spent a lot of years perfecting it and it's better than most sports cars, but imagine how much better it would be with the engine in the middle. Maybe by having the engine in the back gives it more character and that's why people like it. Having the engine in the back has two benefits, when it accelerates all the weight goes to the back wheel where you want it, and when you brake in a straight line it has a 50-50 weight distribution, so you can have the same size disc brakes front and rear. But the drawbacks greatly outweigh these two advantages. I know sometimes people say "well put a bigger rear disc brake on a front engine car"; you could do that but what's the point when 70% of the weight transfers to the front during braking. A Porsche 911 will be always better under braking than any other engine configuration.

I always compared the 911 to the Corvette. The Porsche is better built, but they tend to be at least $20,000 more than the Corvette, and oil changes are $380 while the Corvette's $38. I believe that eventually both the Corvette and the 911 will become mid-engined.

This is the Porsche 911 that ran in the 24h LeMans race this year, the engine was relocated to the middle:

The latest Corvette is classified as a front engine rear wheel drive car, but it actually is mid-engined. The engine is located behind the front axle. There have been rumors for 2 years now regarding the next Corvette to be mid-engined.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:56 PM   #8
Registered Member

This has to be the worst Mini, what a visual mess, why even still call it a "Mini"

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:34 PM   #9
Registered Member

The reincarnation of the American Muscle cars is.... well... fun. That's all. I like em.
Do have to admit. One of the few people I've heard about who bought one. A Camaro. He hated it. Said it has spent more time in the shop...couldn't believe it. Said he should have bought a japanese sedan instead.

I've heard that Mini Cooper is fun to drive.

The Fiat's we have here. They do look cute to me. I like them.

I blew way too much money on cars when I was young. I'll keep what I have. I'm happy. More than happy. I don't need no car for entertainment anymore. Or for my ego. That one is really stupid.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:15 PM   #10
LDB
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2spd View Post
This is what happened to Mini, which is sad
If we consider the original Mini a 5 on the 1-5 scale then these go 2, 3, 4 and 5 sequentially. I'd like to have the current drivetrain and safety features in the #4 car.

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote