MOVIES Movies movies - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-06-2010, 05:08 PM   #1
Registered Member

MOVIES Movies movies

Its been a while since I had the time to write, so here goes.

Planet 51: Is the perfect family movie in a theme that goes back to the atomic scare films of the 50's except we are the aliens and the aliens are us. It's beautiful, fun and safe, the whole family will love it, its the classic boy meets girl, boy meets alien, boy gets girl. There is a cute underlaying theme that aliens are o.k., but our governments are not. I see every digitally animated movie, each time it gets better and better, but, digitally animated movies are now formula, Disney will be happy, your grandmother will be happy, you'll watch the making of, and your kids will watch it again and again. With this amaizing creative force of the digitally animated movie, we need this genre to be takin seriously. Avatar is about the closest we've come, it has a theme, and a lesson, but this creative tool of digital animation has yet to be explored. That's just me, rent it, love it.

Food Inc. This is not for the faint of heart, it could have been much more hard to watch if they had really ramped up the amount of time you spend in the slaughterhouse, but they kept to the exploration of how we get food. It is a look of how the world as a whole feeds itself. Mega worldwide corporations that don't call cows livestock, but call anything we eat food. It has many green virtues, the food we eat today operates on polices that were established years ago and how in the future due to straight economics, our future food will be natual and healthier for you as a result of the economics what costs to process Food, the way we do now. These are the same people which produced Inconvenient Truth, so be prepared for political teeth gnashing.

The 4th Kind: Blair Witch with aliens, the movie starts out with the stars of the movie telling you this is a dramtic reinactment of true events. It has that slow moving story telling you would find in Mothman, the 6th Sense. This is about a town in Alaska that is ravaged by alien abductions in the early 2000's. There is original police footage that is intercut throughout the entire movie. At the end of the movie you think there is conclusive evidence we are not alone and what we are alone with is not too nice. It's spooky, don't watch it alone, at night, not for kids, it's for teenagers and adults. There is a review of the movie in Open Minds that rips it up and calls it fictionalized truth, the complete oposite of what the movie is saying.

The Men Who Stare At Goats: Now this is some sort of hippies of the 70's are recruited by the military to use their minds as weapons. It's got George Clooney in it and its funny, its a joyful psychodelic ride through the 70's. Now 60 minutes did a piece on it and it's 100% true, you have these ex SEAL's going on about how they fight with their minds. Believe it or not, it's not for kids, but for adults, they have hallucinations and the sort of partying you would see at a Greatful Dead concert.

Monsters vs. Aliens: Again a digitally animated movie that is beautiful and fun, has morals and a lesson. Your kids will love it, it's a safe date. It's about all the monsters of our past that have be laughed off as fake and something to be forgotten about when you get older. That is until we are invaded by aliens, then its up to the monsters to fight for planet Earth. It's a good time of a movie and if you have spent $2000 dollars on a new 3D HDTV, is the only Blue Ray movie that is available in 3D. Again a family movie your kids will love.

It's Complicated: Alec Baldwin, Meryl Streap, and Steve Martin make up the cast of people who create a very touching movie, almost a chick flic, but fun and another look at how divorce affects family and friends. The characters are fun and well written, all B charaters have thier own life and problems. It's like watching an episode of Celebrity Rehab. This ones for adults, give the kids some video games, teenagers will bail to their friends house, stuff like that. This movie keeps you in the grips of whats going on, not a dull moement here and when you think you have thought this movie through, at the end there is a tremendous rug pull. Without giving away the ending, you as a viewer are betrayed, this would have been a perfect movie for what it represented, then the sucky ending. I don't know who wrote this, nor do I care, but at the end the movie is soured.

2010: The summer block buster about the end of the world. It is the big mega action flick, every special effect times 1000. Look right off, see this movie for the special effects, it's 2 and a half hours. 2 hours is a great action flic, the last 30 minutes turns into needless toil, this movie could have been edited down and it would have been a great action flic stem to stern, but that last 30 minutes, makes you get up, go to the bathroom, get more popcorn, and fill your glass with soda. Now on to science, theres very little, but its about the planetary alignment and how Earth will shift and tear its continents apart. The only problem with this is that this alreay happend in 1984, no oceans ripped from their beds, no mega earthquakes, no mass extinction, it already happened and nothing happened. See this movie for the special effects, hang your brain on the coat rack.

Zombie Town: O.K. loved it, doesn't pretend to be anything other than a Zombie movie, it's a fun rollicking time avoiding being eaten by the dead. It's the dark comedy of Zombie flics, think of Shaun of the Dead. Woody Harrelson is funny, much like we would be if we had a bag of machine guns and a HUMV. What's it about, trying to survive in a world taken over by zombies. There are these cute littles rules that the main charater adheres to: 1 Cardio, make sure your in shape, zombies can't chase you for long. 2 Always have your car keys ready. 3 Always check the back seat. 4 Always wear your seatbelt. There are about 25 rules that pop out during the picture, it's all a great laugh. The end big zombie fight is a little long, but this a fun movie. Prerequiset: Dawn of the dead 1979, Night of the living dead 1968, Day of the Dead, Shaun of the dead, you get the idea.

The Crazies: Excellent big budget zombie movie, allot of money was spent on this, I don't have to worry about giving away the movie, it gives it away in the first 15 minutes. A plane with chemical weapons crashes in the lake for the towns water supply, people become zombies, government catches wind of whats going on, destroys the town, now our government is the enemy trying to kill us, zombies or soldiers coming at you, kind of an unpatriotic movie. The rest of the movie is survival, I liked Zombie Town better.

I hope this serves as a rental guide, course now I'm down to the Chipmonks Squeakwill, I'll have to wait for more movies to be released.

GasSavers_Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:19 PM   #2
Registered Member

this summer can't touch last summer(so far) in regard to new movies(not rentals). anyone seen clash of the titans or plan to see robin hood?

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:38 AM   #3
Registered Member

Few corrections...

It's 2012 (not 2010) and Zombieland (not Zombie Town). Just in case anyone wanted to watch the movies and could not find the names you mentioned.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
Registered Member

I have seen 2012 based on the "prophecy by the ancient Mayans" advertising which manages to get about 15 nanoseconds of screen time.

Yep it IS a mega action flick and about half an hour too long but not at all bad for what it is.

The science is a little thin and there are various "homages" to other movies. Really don't know why the directors bother with this sort of drivel.
I don't want to see a collection of remade clips and scenes from Hitchcock movies no matter how good they were.
If they can't come up with original material maybe they should try another job.

Peter.
GasSavers_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:19 PM   #5
Registered Member

Oops

I can't believe I zoned on the titles, I had already returned them to Blockbuster so I just kind of recalled their titles in the minds eye. Sorry.
GasSavers_Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
Registered Member

http://www.asylum.com/2010/05/03/robin-hood-legend/

robin hood trailor and historical write up. my favorite part of the write up...

Regardless of the origins of the Robin Hood myth, by the late 15th century, tales were being written about him and his exploits. In many, he's just a common hood (in the modern sense). It's only in later centuries that people begin to project the ideals of their own times onto the fugitive and his (ever-increasing) sidekicks, emphasizing his courage, his chivalry or his cleverness. In the 21st century, it looks like we're getting Robin Hood as the Gladiator of Sherwood Forest -- a medieval Tea Partier fighting against a crooked leader and marauding foreigners. Now, is he going to demand that King John cough up that birth certificate?
Old 08-02-2010, 12:58 PM   #7
Registered Member

Re: MOVIES Movies movies

recently watched Book of Eli...one of the best low budgets movies EVER!...imho.