MSNBC article: Hummer owner gets angry message - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-18-2007, 10:36 PM   #11
Registered Member

Some great thoughts on this article are coming through. That is why I like this site so much. Many varied opinions on things, and most people are well-natured good people.

I still can't make up my own mind though...

Erdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:42 PM   #12
*shrug*

Silly vandalism! People let their anger turn into the worst things.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:43 PM   #13
Supporting Member

88HF -

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88HF View Post
How does a radio DJ afford a hummer? Most likely he will get some shop to sponsor putting his hummer back on the road for free because of the high profile nature of his story.
He's not a DJ, he sells commercials :

Quote:
Groves, who grew up in the District and works in marketing for a local radio station, said he wanted the car in part because he is starting a company, Washington Sports Marketing, that is "image-based."
I'm gonna keep watching this one. My suspicious nature wonders if this is a marketing ploy.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:28 AM   #14
Supporting Member

88HF -

(I posted my suspicion post before reading this post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88HF View Post
cfg83 what do you think?
I keep flip-flopping. I have written alot of posts and then deleted them.

I have the visceral "he deserved it" feeling, but I don't think this serves "the greater good". For example, I have less of a problem with what the Pseudo Earth Firsters did to the Hummer sales lot in LA because it's an attack on the "pusher" so to speak (Here is some background information : http://www.earthfirstjournal.org/article.php?id=21).

Simply by purchasing a Hummer, the fellow is on my "don't need to know" list, but I wouldn't vandalize his car. He would know where I stand by my GasSavers decal, so we wouldn't have much to talk about. If he was a polite driver, I would even let him merge (and maybe draft his monstrosity ).

Then again, if they had committed creative vandalism, say covering the Hummer in information showing how much damage the vehicle was causing to the environment, or pointing out how much the owner is compensating for low self esteem or other small protuberances, then I would probably be applauding their actions :

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised a bit if he had one of those latex scrotums dangling from the back bumper
theclencher, if you look at the car anatomically, those danglers are probably in correct proportion to the owner of the car.

Erdrick's post says something ugly about the whole thing. If we really have the true story, then the "liberal" white community isn't behaving much better than the mindset that lends itself to the Ku-Klux Clan. If they are truly an "enlightened" community, then they wouldn't have committed the vandalism. It's not racism, but it is hate. We all feel it, but do we act on it?

For me, at the end of the day, "you are what you do". When I put myself in the shoes of the liberal neighbors, the Hummer guy would disgust me, but I can't say he is doing something *directly* to me. It's that whole "don't become your enemy" argument. It's a cliche, but it holds true. I mean, using baseball bats on the Hummer is something I would expect from a ... Hummer owner.

PS - I don't have a problem with living with one's parents. I lived with my parents until I was 35 and was never itching to leave. Giving them my money instead of a blood-sucking LA landlord always made me feel good. Multi-generational households are normal in many non-Western countries, and save a lot on resources. Sheesh, I used to live 5 minutes from work back then!!!!

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:17 AM   #15
Registered Member

That was just plain wrong to ruin that mans ride. I hope the ones that did it get caught.
psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:37 AM   #16
Supporting Member

Sweet, I'm going to get a hummer and hypermile it for tv. I bet I get on the national news. I'll be offsetting everyone here. I'll have to upgrade my garage for clearance.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	firestation3lg.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	626  

my favorite thread
88HF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 05:13 AM   #17
Registered Member

i agree they shouldn't have done that, they could have made a more subtle statement. because this sort of actions makes emviromentaly mided people seem like a bunsh of intollerant car wreckers. that said i remember a few years ago when the suv craze slowly started to catch on over here, there was an action group that would deflate the tires of all suv and offroad vehicles they came across at night. interestingly the police could not press charges for vandalism because they had not done any phisical damage to the vehicles...just moved some air.

lunarhighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:06 AM   #18
Registered Member

What's so voilent about destroying a thing? It's an object, not an organism. He got what he deserved.

I think that it's funny though that this one gets media attention while the ELF attack a few months ago in which a bunch of ELFers went after every SUV in a neighborhood slashing tires and spraypainting pro-environment slogans on the gas guzzlers got no notice. That attack did more damage.
repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:15 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete86 View Post
What's so voilent about destroying a thing? It's an object, not an organism. He got what he deserved.

I think that it's funny though that this one gets media attention while the ELF attack a few months ago in which a bunch of ELFers went after every SUV in a neighborhood slashing tires and spraypainting pro-environment slogans on the gas guzzlers got no notice. That attack did more damage.

I hope he finds out who did that and hurts there organism real bad.

I honestly dont see how you can justify destroying somebody else's property. You do realize that supporting such actions could very well get you hurt very bad.
psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:42 AM   #20
Registered Member

Never try to teach a pig to sing. I'm sure CO_ZX2 can finish the quote...