My hard drive just crashed - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2006, 11:12 PM   #21
Registered Member

more patience is required,

more patience is required, you guys must have fast speeds to download the insane amounts of data.

Old 05-05-2006, 06:28 AM   #22
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
WD

You guys are really pushing your luck with WD drives - I have seen a lot of them fail and not be able to recover anything on them once they do fail. They also have some short factory warrentees - Seagate also had some failures but have 3 and 5 year warrentees now and the bigger drives are very cheep - I get 300gigs for about $110 so you really can't beat that. Have seen a lot of Toshiba laptop drives fail after a couple of years of daily use and a few OLD 100meg Maxstor drives that just don't die but who needs 100megs of drive space nowadays. Samsung has some nice quiet cool running drives but I can't seem to get them from my Vendor anymore.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:43 AM   #23

Re: WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo
I get 300gigs for about $110
Can you get me a 300GB for $110?
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:48 AM   #24
Registered Member

Try putting it in the

Try putting it in the refridrator overnight then see it will boot if it will but you don't have time to pull data off while running OS setup OS on another drive and put failed drive on secondary again put in cooler and try again. most hard drives fail when they get the hottest and cooling them down will allow you to get your data off till it warms up again or you can simply rig it up and leave the drive hooked up in the refrigerator till you get your data off. Also if arm is stuck you can try tapping or dropping it ever so softly. I had so many drives fail a few months ago. One of my users and while I was working on hers my own failed in my workstation both of them I was able to cool them off and get the data off but was unable to do a ghost on either one but that was ok. My grandfathers failed a few weeks later but he had a drive that put the firmware on the disk and it became corrupt and the computer could not even recognize it as a drive anymore. I have had really good luck with western digital but its heat that kills them. These dells they fail in are not built for air circulation and the drives get horribly hot.
mikefxu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 10:33 AM   #25
Registered Member

Drives

They also mount them vertically which is not recommended by the manufacturer and never has been recommended.

That price of $110 is wholesale before shipping charges and varys from day to day sometimes. Unfortunately some but not this product can be sold rite 2 U via my on line store provided to me by D&H.

400gigs is about $210.00

www.System-One.rite2u.com
Old 05-05-2006, 11:31 AM   #26
Registered Member

200GB Maxtor Internal $49

200GB Maxtor Internal $49 easy rebate B&M
mikefxu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 11:47 AM   #27

Re: 200GB Maxtor Internal $49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefxu
Maybe I should have specified that I need an external hard drive...my computer is a laptop.
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 01:34 PM   #28
Registered Member

USB 2.0

USB 2.0 inclosure for about $40 (prices vary) that will take any size drive - you should consider if you need fan cooling in the external enclosure or not because some run hot with heavy continuous use.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:05 PM   #29
Registered Member

I don't think i need all

I don't think i need all that space. My 60gig seems like more then enough. It's not like am a professional video editor or anything.

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 10:05 PM   #30
Driving on E

Re: I don't think i need all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickflipjr
I don't think i need all that space. My 60gig seems like more then enough. It's not like am a professional video editor or anything.
I've actually made a few videos for a class project. you can easily do it with a 60 gig drive.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote