My personal best! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-02-2007, 04:23 PM   #1
Registered Member

My personal best!

Just wanted to share and brag a little.

before I joined this site my highest MPG was 28.7 (Up from the 20.1 it was getting when my dad handed the keys to me).

A lot of work has gone into this thing.

Since I have been on this site I have lowered my top speed from 65-70 to 55-60. Also, I have been putting on my seatbelt before I start the engine instead of afterward and letting it run for 30 seconds doing nothing while I adjusted everything (waste of gas).

Guess what? My MPG has jumped to 30.23!!!!

I don't think it has ever gotten that in the past? Just changing those two bad habits showed a nice gain (not sure the persentage? Someone care to do the math for me?).

Here is what I have done this past weekend for my next tank.

I bought a timing light. My timing was at 3 degrees. Suppose to be 8. turned the distributor up but would not go past 5 degrees. Figured the idle was too low (don't have a tach). The idle screw was at 1/2 turn from fully close! twisted the idle up to 2.5 turns out and was able to get the 8 degrees needed with the distributor at the halfway mark. Runs much better.

Found the engine to be 3 quarts low!!! Added oil and changed the rear axle fluid with the recommended 75w80.

Last but not least I bought a roll of white duct tape and masked off the grill edges, gap between the bumper and grill and the grill inlets itself. I left the 2 horizontal openings below the bumper open for now.

Anyhow, I'll see what happens on my next tank!

Old 01-03-2007, 06:07 AM   #2

good work, Post some pics

MrEvolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 10:40 AM   #3
Registered Member

That's awesome - congratulations.

30.23/28.7 = 1.053, so 5.3% above your previous best. (50.4% better than 20.1)

5.3% is nothing to sneeze at.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 10:41 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Evolution
Post some pics
Yeah, both of you stick some pics in your garage. Let's see these puppies.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:12 PM   #5
Registered Member

yeah I'll need to use my sister's camera this weekend. Loaned mine out and haven't seen it since!!!!

Anyhow, thanks for figuring the math out. I'm horrible at it.

I don't have a scan gauge and since it's a 92 it wouldn't work anyways. I don't think the scanMID (?) would either. I only have 1 fuel injector. So all figures are from fill and clock. It isn't that accuart per se but I feel gives me better REAL world numbers. Achieving 35MPG only during 1 section of driving is great but does nothing for my wallet when the average is only 28 or so.

Can't wait till Saturday. I brought home a couple of black 5 gallon buckets from work and I'll try making a good set of wheel well liners from them. The driver front is missing, the left is cracked in half and the rears never came with them. I hope this will further help my truck in the FE department.

Oh nearly forgot. I'm planning to use a set of weatherstrip from a trunk of an old car and seal the edges of my hood with it. My grill is blocked but there is still air getting through the hood.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:19 PM   #6
Registered Member

Wanted to add another personnal note. I have been driving the past 4 days with the grill taped off and have noticed that after 100 miles my fuel gauge is reading 3/4 full. Normally it's at just about 1/2 tank. This despite the rain, high winds and having to driving into New Orleans to pick up my contact lens. That's a couple of things that I normally don't content with on every tank.

Now....my gauge is not accurate but it is consistent.

Good sign.

Can't wait to fill her back up and check the FE!!!!!