My Solar Revelation! - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2010, 08:16 AM   #11
Banned

or get black sheets, or carpet, theres alot of black carpet available, its kinda strange, but you could use that cheap black carpet stuff as a solar collector/radiator if you drilled some holes in it and hung it over a window

spotaneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:02 PM   #12
Registered Member

All you need is to open your sunblind during the day on sunny days. Free and cheap.

And ho! close them if you wanna keep cold air during hot days.

GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:09 AM   #13
Banned

yes but the black pigment/blue sheet ect adds extra wartmth by far vs the sun hitting white plastic of semi-gloss white paint get a surface tempurature scanner

go sit in a white car then go sit in a black car and tell me which one is warmer
Old 03-13-2010, 03:45 AM   #14
Site Team

We used grill/BBQ paint at work on some metal objects that we wanted to absorb heat. It would actually make some of our processes up to 3% more thermally efficient compared to bare aluminum.

(3% might not sound like much, but when you spend $1.5 million on a machine and you can increase productivity by 3% by purchasing a can of spray paint, that's a no brainer...)

-BC
Old 03-13-2010, 05:16 AM   #15
Banned

aluminum flashing gets extremely hot in the sun alone, I know from experience, it had a sorts of non reflective surface that is grey, with a dark element to it in a sense

grey on a computer is partly made of of black, same with paint, so you can see where im going with this..
Old 03-13-2010, 05:39 AM   #16
Site Team / Moderator

Yea, aluminum gets hot, but he's saying it gets hotter with the addition of some black spray paint.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:18 AM   #17
Banned

Exactly but I'm inferring that aluminum is a great heat conductor to begin with thats why the aluminum can(painted black) panels work well
http://www.alternative-heating-info....ow_heater.html

Then u have this too:
http://www.digtheheat.com/Solar/solar_furnace.html

I like the top one way better for home use, you can hook it up right out side a window.

What I'm doing is basically the same principle

Heres the video about it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRZvA...layer_embedded

I have a friend that built one of these.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:35 AM   #18
Banned

I had my window sills painted black and some other stuff at my last uninsulated place. I left it like that too the landlord is a lazy ***. He hasn't done any work to the house since he moved in 30 yrs ago so I was forced to do many improvements. no insulation, 100 year old windows drives you to these things.

Thats how I was getting to 75 degrees on sunny days in the middle of winter, black carpet, black sills, dark cloth, that houses' heating system wasn't capable of heating the house to that temp.

I was also using seal and peal.

During the month of January you get the best sun for this too, because the rays of the sun come further into your house than in Feb. So during the height of winter I was getting my best results, pretty paradoxical, huh?

That house is a tragedy and I should've never moved there in the first place cheap rent is appealing though.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:10 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIBI View Post
Ford's or GM's (cant remember) production building in Detroit have green roofs. On the long therme, its simply more efficient cause you dont have to change the roof cover every 15-20 year). Also, its offer a great protection in summer for the extreme heat. Also a major point is that big building aint a dead zone anymore, life can grow.
Yeah , It's the FORD plant. I saw a documentary about it a while back.
Stores water as well as adding thermal insulation and helping the air conditioning costs and heating costs as another benefit.

Good to see industry getting aware and acting on this.

Fly into any major city and the area of roofing over factories and warehouses is vast.

Peter.
GasSavers_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:53 AM   #20
Banned

I always loved those buildings with vines all over them, I hate when they cut them down... such a shame..