Needy Veteran - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-25-2011, 07:49 AM   #1
Registered Member

Needy Veteran

saw a craigslist ad for "veteran needs a car." http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/2768277983.html

since i've had no serious inquiries for my honda civic, i thought i might look into such a sale. i've always accepted cash in full, so i don't know what to expect. thoughts?

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:22 AM   #2
Registered Member

Re: Needy Veteran

maybe but have him proove hes a veteren and not some low life scammer.

get a written (typed) letter drawn up sayign

I (your name) have sold a (insert car year color and vin# here) to (insert buyers name here) for a down payment of (insert whatever they want down) and we have both agreed that (buyers name) will make a monthly/weekly payment of (insert agreed payment here) for (insert# of weeks here) or untill the car is payed off for an agreed upon total including the down payment of (insert full selling price).

If the buyer fails to pay the total i (insert your name) can and will reposess the car untill it is paid for.

The vehicle is being sold AS IS.

buyer signature date
address
phone#

seller signature date
address
phone#

that way you are covered in the event he tries to sue you or run off with the car. oh and if you decide to do this deal bring a buddy or two, dont go alone!

watch any judge show and they will tell you exactly what i just said, get everything in writing EVERYTHING! have 2 copies of the essentially bill of sale i wrote one for you one for him. if you write a note on one write it on the other copy too. i dont know how your state works but i believe you can put a lean on the title so he doesnt actually get it untill its paid in full. that way you can legally reposess it if need be.

these deals are almost always some kinda scam or the people are shady. you can find decent cars for 1200 if you look around, and a monthly payment of 250 or less from a dealer even...

personally i think its a low life trying to pull the im a "veteran" feel bad for me around the holidays card. (dont get me wrong i dont mean any disrespect or anything to true veterans - every year tho i see some news story about some low life claiming he is one so he can get a handout. And yes i understand there are alot of veterans out there that dont have much but thats where i donate directly to places that can help them)

he should have some kinda military ID or papers or somehting, ask to see his DL too somehting with a picture ID, ask to see his school ID too. i can introduce myself as john doe and sign john doe's signature but that doesnt make me who i really am.

treat this as a business transaction dont let emotions get in. if ANYTHING sounds fishy walk away (hence bring a buddy or two to just stand around incase something does happen, less likely anything would the more people there are.

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:34 AM   #3
Registered Member

thanks, sounds prudent. i was wondering why i person "needing" a car would have an android phone as well.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:48 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

I'm wondering why a veteran with a dependable monthly income, in school, is unable to get a normal car loan.
Old 12-25-2011, 04:01 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
i was wondering why i person "needing" a car would have an android phone as well.
Reminds me of my time out in California... I saw the "bums" working the streetcorners yapping away on cell phones... I didn't even have one. Guess how much I donated...

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

theclencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 04:49 PM   #6
Registered Member

yea i noticed that too from the android phone... and yes if he is getting free school and a monthly income he should have enough to buy a car. like i said 1200 is a nice down payment and i see all sorts of cars with low miles that can be had for less than 250 /mo

i still say scam - run far away.... also noticed he interested in BMW's and acuras... go reliability my butt sounds like someone just wants to show off.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:25 AM   #7
Registered Member

Give him (or her) a fair deal (low end of blue book), otherwise they might just flip it.

Putting a lien on the title seems reasonable.

I really admire our veterans and what they did for us, but they are much like the rest of us= lots of good apples and a few bad ones. In my experience, the bad ones are more likely to try to use their service for a handout.
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:46 PM   #8
Registered Member

here's another...single mom...could go for it tho...http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/2769639522.html
Old 12-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #9
Registered Member

I say no, clearly dropped out of school if they cant spell from and etc...

I smell the smelly smell of something that smells smelly...
Old 12-27-2011, 01:09 PM   #10
Registered Member

No doubt. Bowtie seems to want to lift someone downtrodden though. I don't know why vets and single moms are more deserving than anyone else.

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

theclencher is offline   Reply With Quote