Nerdy guilty pleasures... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-17-2007, 07:57 AM   #1
Registered Member

Nerdy guilty pleasures...

There's an unnamed Mod on an unnamed board who is the biggest PITA imo, banned me and some other posters (The Toecutter knows who I talkin'bout) because we didn't agree with 'em. I just love popping in every few months and trolling. I also like installing and configuring computer stuff, troubleshooting, etc... I've switched cards, procs, and everything else in and out of different systems as needs have changed and hardware failed so many times I don't know what the specs of any particular system are unless I look.

What do you people enjoy that could be considered nerdy by most?

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 08:00 AM   #2
Registered Member

People have called me nerdy when I talk about Gassavers and what we try and do here.

Most people I mention it too aren't really all that interested and kind of glaze over if I talk about it.

UfoTofU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:26 AM   #3
ELF
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UfoTofU View Post
People have called me nerdy when I talk about Gassavers and what we try and do here.

Most people I mention it too aren't really all that interested and kind of glaze over if I talk about it.

Ya, same here. this is about the only nerdy thing I do. Although I don't consider it nerdy.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:58 AM   #4
Registered Member

I have no guilty pleasures.

I like to jack with my computers. Overclock the snot out of them and keep them 100% cpu loaded for Folding @ Home Team32. I enjoy my freshwater aquariums. Have 8 tanks running right now. I hope to be changing around my 120g and 75g show tanks in the living room this year. To a full planted 75g and the 120g to a reef. Will just have to see how the funds work out. I like to stay cool in the summer, warm in the winter.
psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:40 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyshack View Post
I have no guilty pleasures.

I like to jack with my computers. Overclock the snot out of them and keep them 100% cpu loaded for Folding @ Home Team32. I enjoy my freshwater aquariums. Have 8 tanks running right now. I hope to be changing around my 120g and 75g show tanks in the living room this year. To a full planted 75g and the 120g to a reef. Will just have to see how the funds work out. I like to stay cool in the summer, warm in the winter.
I've been running Folding @ Home for a few years now (just me / Team 0). Right now I have 6 machines running it. I guess the nerdy part is getting each one to its maximum potential and rebuilding laptops when they overheat from the processor. A lot of times, I'll just "take in" an old desktop and put it to use on the project. Trying to learn Fedora Linux so I don't have to use Windows and it's cumbersome limitations.

MS Flight Simulator can be considered "Dorky" to some.

FE seems to disinterest most people I talk to...

Same with storm spotting and the HAM radio operation associated with it.

My wife tells me I have too many hobbies

I say she doesn't have enough

RH77
Old 03-17-2007, 11:02 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:

I get the same thing too! when i switched to my smaller car and said cause of gas prices and that it'll get alot bettter mileage all i got was that i don't have a long drive to work.

the only thing i would consider nerdy is that i know enough about computers to help someone that doesn't know anything.

LxMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:18 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Same here. I'm still kind of a 'closeted' gassavers member (I try to hide my modifications from my parents. You should've heard my dad when he found out about my donut tires on my car!). That and simply driving a Geo Metro in the first place is kinda nerdy.
Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:42 AM   #8
Supporting Member

Hello -

Total nerd here, but since I am a computer programmer, I think that comes in handy, since I am a nerd among nerds. Actually, among them, I think I give off a coolish air, because I take on the skateboard-ish outfits.

Since some people are put off by being called nerd, I disarm them by embracing the word.

My great nerd victory last year was getting a grey market copy of XP pro installed on my wife's old Compaq PC (Windows Me was installed!!!). It was actually a copy that was meant to be bundled with a Dell, but I bought it fair and square from a website for $90 ($250 retail). After I found some super old web instructions by a good soul that told me how to extract the damn internal hard disk, I put the old 20 GB hard disk in an external USB box for data recovery, and installed a new 40 GB hard disk. It was weird getting it authorized, because I ended up making all these calls that must have led me to somewhere in India, where I got authorization code.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:46 AM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
One of mine while building a wind turbine was playing with the N42 grade 2" diameter 1/2" thick Ni-Cu-Ni plated NdFeB disk magnets that I ordered for it. They are rated at roughly 13,500 gauss, and if you get your fingers caught between two attracting magnets, the fingers will get broken and the magnets will strip the skin off of them or worse.

The only downside is that pulling them off of metal is a *****. We're talking 90 lbs of pulling force per 2" diameter magnet.

Anyway, I loved holding steel pipe about a foot above them and watching them jump up and *THWACK*. I'd also take a set of about 6 of them, let themselves adhere to a sheet of metal with all north poles facing outward, take a 2" diameter PVC pipe, shove a disk magnet down it with north facing the other magnets with a broom handle, drill a hole in the pipe above the magnet, shove in a carbide drill bit through both ends to hold the magnet in place, pull the broom handle out, aim, remove the carbide drill bit and *THWING* watch it shoot out 10-15 feet.

Throwing them up into mid air and watching them clack together from about 1.5-2 feet apart was pretty fun.

I did have to be a little careful though. They chip and crack easily, and two of them did have small 1mm chips on them. Nothing of consequence though; it was well worth it.

When I graduate college, I'm SO getting another hunting slingshot and a set of about 100 of these, only perhaps smaller in size. I'm just aching to do something risky and stupid with these things. They're so awesome.

Quote:
There's an unnamed Mod on an unnamed board who is the biggest PITA imo, banned me and some other posters (The Toecutter knows who I talkin'bout) because we didn't agree with 'em. I just love popping in every few months and trolling.
I made an objective comment about how a member of that site was unfairly treated by the whole of the site itself and how he was banned for an offense that others committed just the same. Some of the mods(especially the one you refer to in particular) automatically assumed that I was specifically accusing them of being biased. I know accusing the mods of bias is a violation of the COC there, but that is not what I did.

But, since they automatically assumed that is what I was doing, then I have no reason to conclude after the fact that they are extremely biased, even though I did not hold that conclusion at the start and even though I actually agree with these people on a lot of issues(as much as they don't seem to understand technology too well).

If they were to hypothetically ban me and I really wanted to, it wouldn't be too complicated a matter to admin myself on that site. So many security loopholes it ain't even funny. But I'm not an ******* like that, so the odds of me doing it are zero. I still respect many of the people there, including the douche that accused me of violating the COC.

Unlike you, I wasn't banned from there, but left on my own accord. I might post there again some day; perhaps when I finish that wind turibine I'll post a report on it, a description of how others could replicate it for cheap, circuit diagrams, testing results, and other things, and give a progress update on my GT6 electric conversion. When it's drivable, I'm definately going to post videos of hooligan antics committed in that car.
The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:42 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
I've been running Folding @ Home for a few years now (just me / Team 0). Right now I have 6 machines running it. I guess the nerdy part is getting each one to its maximum potential and rebuilding laptops when they overheat from the processor. A lot of times, I'll just "take in" an old desktop and put it to use on the project. Trying to learn Fedora Linux so I don't have to use Windows and it's cumbersome limitations.

MS Flight Simulator can be considered "Dorky" to some.

FE seems to disinterest most people I talk to...

Same with storm spotting and the HAM radio operation associated with it.

My wife tells me I have too many hobbies

I say she doesn't have enough

RH77
I would be honored if you would consider folding with team 32. Its a great bunch! We fold hard and have fun doing it. We are the number three team in the world. We put out more PPD than any of the major hitting teams per GHZ. We believe in the cause and like to have fun doing it. http://www.ocforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

We could sure use the GHZ. Beer and Cheezy Poofs are always on the house. OOOO if your running any Conroes or X2 get them SMP. The points are great.

Living in Oklahoma it seems most are Jr. Meteorologists. Have done more than my fare share of storm chasing. Have ran for more ditches in my life than I care to remember.

Im lucky. My wife accepts my hobby's. A happy hubby at home that works his butt off is a man that doesn't run around. She knows we can only be men so long. And loves the boy in our hearts.

psy

psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote