New Saturn hatchback - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2006, 04:15 PM   #1
Registered Member

New Saturn hatchback

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...024/LATESTNEWS

Looks like saturn is going to have a car to compete with the fit and yaris. I wonder what size engine they will use. The ones in europe have 1.4L to 1.8L engines.

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 04:55 PM   #2
Supporting Member

Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy!

If and/or when I get a new car, I can still get a Saturn. My goal is to hold out long enough to get a USA built Corsa. The 1.4/1.8 litre engine sounds great. I hated it when they upped the Ion to a 2.2 liter engine (they should have at least offered the 1.9 Ecotec as an economy version).

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 11:35 PM   #3
Driving on E

That looks nice

Maybe Saturn isn't out of the game after all.

BTW Carlos, starting next year all of the Fits in the USA are going to be made in the USA.

The last I checked, most of the US auto manufacturers make their cars out of the USA. Seems that Honda is more of an American car company than Ford is.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 12:41 AM   #4
Supporting Member

Matt -

I'm glad Honda will make the Fit in the USA. Honda was the first Japanese automaker to build a factory in the USA. They were considered in some ways to be the most "American" of the Japanese auto companies. They were kind of seen as a misfit car company in Japan. My 1990 (91?) CRX was the best car I ever drove, period. I wish Honda

I don't own a Saturn because it's the best in it's class. The Honda Civic (and others) has beaten it every year. It's not a great car. It's a good car that hasn't let me down yet (knock on wood). In the end I got Saturns because they were a "good faith" effort by an American car company to make an economical car with good UAW jobs (please insert soap-box here). I don't know what Saturn will become, but a version of an Opel Corsa is what I would love to see.

Of course, now I am hearing that it might be up to 5 years away, so maybe too little, too late.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 08:48 AM   #5
Registered Member

Don't bank on the 1.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83
Oh Boy...The 1.4/1.8 litre engine sounds great. I hated it when they upped the Ion to a 2.2 liter engine (they should have at least offered the 1.9 Ecotec as an economy version). CarloSW2
The Corsa has long-been one of the hottest selling cars in Europe. If Saturn brings this over and retains its Euro-looks, I say Bravo. BUT 2 concerns...

They very rarely go with the EDM/JDM engine choices -- "not enough power" for lead-footed Americans with automatics. Here's the breakdown for the UK: (known as the Vauxhall Corsa -- same thing as Opel)

UK:
1.0Litre: 43.1 Calculated USMPG combined cycle avg., 56hp, CO2 Emitted = 134 g/km (format as below, based on the 5-door "Club" trim level with A/C unless otherwise indicated)
1.2L, 41.6 FE, 79hp, 139 CO2
1.4L, 40.2 FE, 89hp, 142 CO2
Diesel options (same displacement, diff. hp ratings: 74hp standard and 90hp "SXI" sport model have same emissions/FE)
1.3L-D, 74/90 hp, 52.5FE, 124 CO2

Germany: 1.7L "Ecotec" Diesel at 125hp (too new for other stats)
Note: a 5- or 6-speed manual has been noted!

Data taken from WHATCAR? and Opel webistes.

The 1.8L currently hasn't been located worldwide in the Corsa, so I'm guessing they're taking it out of the Chevrolet Lacetti or Vauxhall Vectra. Since the Lacetti (1255 kg) is close in weight to the Corsa (1224 kg).

1.8L-Gasser (Lacetti -- I think it's based on the Cobalt platform):
City/Hwy/Combined USMPG calc: 24.4/40.9/32.6
120hp
CO2 = 183

Not very excited, truthfully. If the 1.4L is an option, then it would be worth it, but with Saturn going more toward the "Oldsmobile" of the line with upscale feature content, expect 1.8 and higher.

Edit: Second concern Opel reliability. Remember the Cadillac Catera? (Opel)

RH77
Old 10-07-2006, 10:25 AM   #6
Registered Member

Good work rick. I was tring to find out the specs for the car and couldn't find it.

I assume the 1.8 for america (or maybe higher). Because if it dosen't to 0-60 in under 10 seconds it is unfit for america

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 12:04 PM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickflipjr
Good work rick. I was tring to find out the specs for the car and couldn't find it.

I assume the 1.8 for america (or maybe higher). Because if it dosen't to 0-60 in under 10 seconds it is unfit for america
Thanks. Yeah, I wasn't going so say it but the 2.2L Ecotec is probably going in there as it pretty much is in every other small GM, including the Solstice.

RH77