Off-topic chat thread - Page 6 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2017, 11:12 PM   #51
Registered Member

Top Gear featured an interesting SUV last night, the Avtoros Shaman from Russia! Now when cars start getting this big, that's when you worry. And it can drive in deep water too.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:24 AM   #52
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewChewTrain View Post
Saw a Maserati SUV last week. A MASERATI SUV?!!!! That and the Porsche SUV means the end of the world is approaching. A high performance SUV is an oxymoron. What's next?! Porsche forklifts?

Sports car makers are drawn to designing/building SUVs because SUV sales are 1/2 the auto market. That's why Tesla was compelled to produce their SUV before their economy car.

Additionally, Sports cars are not selling well. This is bad news about their future. People are just not into a fun driving experience as generations past. Millennials aren't even buying cars and car companies are feeling it.
Don't worry about Maserati. They don't have their program together, and doesn't look like FCA is helping them out much so far. The Porsche SUVs to their credit, at least feel Porsche first, SUV second, so I cut them a bit of slack...notwithstanding that Porsche conflates with douchebaggery in my mind

Sports cars have never sold well. They define a brand and provide a lucky few with a neat experience, but counting on them for profits isn't a good idea. Porsche is a good example, they nearly died before the Boxster injected some volume sales and the Cayenne became their way to practically print currency.

Those millennials tho...I think "they" (in quotations because I'm sort of on the upper age of millennials) will most likely be choosing the autonomous Über pods when that's a thing, and wonder why us old crusty guys are still actually driving ourselves.

By which point I hope to have an old Chevy SS or CTS-V or something, plus a hot rod/Justin or to, so I can sit them down, strap them in, and edjumacate them on exactly why

Old 04-24-2017, 03:22 AM   #53
Registered Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Just call them station wagons, which is what they are since they are almost universally based on passenger car platforms, and they will disappear almost instantly.

Watched a Toyota ad for the Highlander if I remember right. They were bragging about it still having a full frame (truck based), which makes them very prone to rollovers. I remember a salvage auction where there were 3 rolled over Toyotas, the largest truck based SUV they sell in the USA, amazing when you think of the percentage in the salvage auction compared to the percentage of vehicles on the road, maybe 100 to 1 more likely to rollover.

They depend on our collective amnesia, but the arrogance of harping about a deadly characteristic of their very flawed designs seems, at least to me, to be rather stupid.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:07 AM   #54
Registered Member

Quote:
Saw a Maserati SUV last week. A MASERATI SUV?!!!! That and the Porsche SUV means the end of the world is approaching. A high performance SUV is an oxymoron. What's next?! Porsche forklifts?
Lamborghini still makes farm tractors. Though, the founder of both companies actually started with them.
Home - Lamborghini Trattori - Tractors
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:32 AM   #55
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Just call them station wagons, which is what they are since they are almost universally based on passenger car platforms, and they will disappear almost instantly.

Watched a Toyota ad for the Highlander if I remember right. They were bragging about it still having a full frame (truck based), which makes them very prone to rollovers. I remember a salvage auction where there were 3 rolled over Toyotas, the largest truck based SUV they sell in the USA, amazing when you think of the percentage in the salvage auction compared to the percentage of vehicles on the road, maybe 100 to 1 more likely to rollover.

They depend on our collective amnesia, but the arrogance of harping about a deadly characteristic of their very flawed designs seems, at least to me, to be rather stupid.
You must be thinking of the 4Runner or Land cruiser, but body-on-frame. The Highlander is unibody and based on the Camry's platform.

I really wish we had more actual wagons. That's what I'd really rather have. When I was car shopping, a lot of my top choices were wagon-y, like the Mazda6 wagon I kind of chased.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:47 AM   #56
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post
Lamborghini still makes farm tractors. Though, the founder of both companies actually started with them.
Home - Lamborghini Trattori - Tractors
I nearly mentioned the Lamborghini tractor link, someone I know in town has a silver one, and uses the "I drive a Lamborghini" line to chat up girls. Kind of works....

Old 04-24-2017, 08:55 AM   #57
Registered Member

Sports cars, people have come to realise that sacrificing comfort and practicality isn't worth it, unless you're rich and can afford another car too. In fact, many "hot hatches" are just as quick as their Sportier siblings now, look at the Audi RS3, it's quicker than a R8 V8, the TTRS is a seriously quick car too.

Now family cars like this:

are quicker on a track than stuff like this:

It's become a bit embarrassing...

Hot hatches are a very popular choice here as they offer everything from comfort to practicality, performance and reasonably low running costs too. I'm happy with my choice, unless fuel costs sky rocket in the next few years, I can't really think of a reason to change it in the future.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:12 AM   #58
Registered Member

Hot hatches are a neat segment. Fiesta ST would be high in my list for new cars, though I'd still rather have a proper, larger wagon, even if it's a bit more sedate. Passing on that Mazda6 wagon with V6 and stick is gonna sting for a while.

My SVT Focus wasn't a sizzling performer even if it did have a great chassis, but boy could it swallow that cargo.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:39 PM   #59
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcp385 View Post
Hot hatches are a neat segment. Fiesta ST would be high in my list for new cars, though I'd still rather have a proper, larger wagon, even if it's a bit more sedate. Passing on that Mazda6 wagon with V6 and stick is gonna sting for a while.

My SVT Focus wasn't a sizzling performer even if it did have a great chassis, but boy could it swallow that cargo.
I think the Fiesta is a pretty sharp car, too.

Paul, before your Renault, did you consider the Fiesta? If so, why the Renault?
ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:31 PM   #60
Registered Member

Quote:
I think the Fiesta is a pretty sharp car, too.

Paul, before your Renault, did you consider the Fiesta? If so, why the Renault?
Do you mean my Peugeot? Yes I considered the Fiesta, great handling little car, but very common here as there's a Ford dealer in my town, I like rare cars and I like to be different. There are only 390 registered examples of GTi's like mine on UK roads. I also like the extra practicality, Fiesta is 3 door only, and I have 70-90 BHP more than the ST too, even though it has the same size engine.