Official worst job for FE????? I think I have found it...... - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2007, 12:04 AM   #11
Registered Member

I used to throw newspapers in the mornings. Once I got good I would drive a constant 20 to 30 MPH. Since I was the only one driving around at 3:30 in the morning, I don't have to worry about traffic. I could drive on the wrong side of the streets, and drive on the sidewalk! Because you can see other car's headlights, I can blow through all the stop signs at 20MPH! I Could do a 1.5 square miles of residential area in 1 to 1.5 hours. FE would be only slightly worse than normal driving. The wear and tear on my car depends on how you treat it. Constant 25 MPH is less wear and tear than "normal" Except front tires last only 10,000 miles, because of all the turning.

A car with the smallest engine possible would be best. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_LLV about 100 hp in this

Old 05-25-2007, 07:47 PM   #12
Registered Member

Worst jobs for FE:

Newspaper delivery
Pizza Delivery
Urban taxi driver

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 10:59 PM   #13
Registered Member

i saw somehitng strange today! a guy who delivers mail on a different route than my houses has a jeep livberty but he has a steerign wheel on the passenger side! along with the standard drivers side! i would seriously look into stuff liek that. theyve got to have all sorts of stuff for mail carriers.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 02:59 AM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Drivers Ed cars have right side and left side controls - big thing is the window height - the xB is high up - had to get mail out of my friend mailbox one time and it had a wasps nest in it that I couldn''t see in the top of the box - sucker stings really fast!

Look at a Matrix or xA - another thing to consider is the width of the vehicle and how veritical the sides are - too much wheel and fender sticking out and you will be chewing up tires and fenders or worse knocking down boxes . . . Probably a great application for a Hybrid! Also get something that is light since starts and stops are the norm and consider rear impact protection.

One thing about the xB is that it is very square and has a lot of vertical surface front and back for blinking lights and visability, side are very vertical, mirrors fold forward and backwards if you hit something and the windows don't open up to the sky so if it is raining you don't have rain coming in - there are also window treatments that add a top lip to keep rain out. Base price is low and small engine runs cheep at idle. You could probably put a slippery board on the seats and slide across pretty easy. Got to wonder about the seatbelt law in this case.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 09:23 PM   #15
Registered Member

Our mail carrier drives a Honda CR-V, and I would definetly consider our route a rural one.

atomicradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 05:43 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
i saw somehitng strange today! a guy who delivers mail on a different route than my houses has a jeep livberty but he has a steerign wheel on the passenger side! along with the standard drivers side! i would seriously look into stuff liek that. theyve got to have all sorts of stuff for mail carriers.
Since Jeep sells RHD versions to the UK, lots of them are probably manufactured in their main plant in Toledo, OH -- these are probably available for Domestic mail delivery (possibly exempt from the LHD/import rule). I noticed a Grand yesterday with RHD, so all the true Jeeps might have that availability (not the Patriot/Compass).

RH77
Old 05-27-2007, 05:16 PM   #17
Registered Member

yea this was a liberty tho. he had the regular steering wheel but had a black one on the pass side. it almost looked like one of those PC racing wheels.

and again, new car=bad idea for mail. if you want a newer car get a used one at least

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote