on peal off peak energy storage - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-05-2007, 09:14 PM   #1
Registered Member

on peak useage of off peak energy storage

Could I use an array of batteries in my home to store energy during off peak hours rated at .01cent per kwh and then use that stored energy during on peak hours to run my household. thus saving me .14cents a kwh?

I do not see that it would be that difficult. Have the main line coming in disconnected from the breaker panel, reconnect the main line to a new breaker panel to supply the feed to the battery charger. Use a timer to control the time you want power fed to the battery charger. Then send the battery bank to the old panel inverting the voltage where needed.

is it legal?

Thanks,
Rick

GasSavers_RickyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 09:23 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Possible, yes...
Legal, most likely...

Cost Effective... Probably not.
Efficient... Really depends on the grid load - but leaning towards not so much

-----
I did read an article somewhere, years ago, about a battery energy storage facility to temporarily provide relief during peak hours while new power plants were under construction.... I think it may have been in China or Japan... Very expensive, but I'll bet a blackout is more costly...

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 09:23 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to ajohnmeyer
yes it's legal. I don't know if it's economically fesable after you count the costs of batteries, inverter, wiring, timers, switches, upkeep, etc. It's essentially the same type of storage system that some home solar systems use. Most solar systems with storage aren't grid-tied, but I'm sure that some are.

Team OPEC Busters!
ajohnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 09:48 PM   #4
Registered Member

My old man works for exide as a forklift battery service tech. He repairs batteries and chargers. I will ask him about the costs and weather or not he can talk to customers about their used equipment. Or do you guys think forklift equipment would be a bad idea?

If I can keep those costs down it seems to me something worth looking in to. Thats a 90+ percent savings on energy.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:00 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to ajohnmeyer
yeah, I work in a lot of grocery stores with forklifts and lift trucks. Their batteries would work great, especially the smaller lift truck batteries. They are usually 12v AGM lead batteries (no maintenance) with integrated chargers. The chargers could be plugged in on a timer, charging in the off-peak hours. You'll just have to figure out how to get those batteries home. Even with the smaller lift-truck batts, they weigh about 350lbs. The bigger 48v forklift batts weigh over 1000lbs easy, no integrated charger though.

Team OPEC Busters!
ajohnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:01 PM   #6
Registered Member

Here is what we pay for electric

On Peak Period Energy Charge per kWh
June - September $0.150180
Other Months $0.119850

Off Peak Period Energy Charge per kWh
June - September $0.016040
Other Months $0.019560
Old 11-05-2007, 10:16 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
my approach is to attack the consumption side of it.

usage is fairly low; now i get pizzed that 95% of the cost of my bills are fees and taxes!
well yes they go hand in hand.. Most people gulp up the energy during on peak times storing off peak power will relieve cunsumption during those peak hours. Even though one household will not do much to the whole picture.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:50 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyD View Post
...If I can keep those costs down it seems to me something worth looking in to. Thats a 90+ percent savings on energy...
I think Trebs instincts are right on this one. Such a system would waste more energy than it would save as there are losses in charging up the batteries and again more losses upon discharging them, as opposed to using the energy when needed. Now if every house had a local energy storage strategy, the powerplants could possibly turn the throttle down as the peak load might be smaller...

The batteries would be a good fit for a non-grid tie solar or wind (or ???) system. (or grid tie with some circuitry)
Old 11-06-2007, 06:30 AM   #9
Registered Member

I know people that do this. But they charge their batteries with the utility at night at the cheaper night rate, and then sell their solar generated power during the day at the higher day rate, while using the stored power from the batteries during the day. If the cost differential is more than 2 or 3 times, it might be cost effective. I did do a calculation some years back and I forget just what the day/night/regular rate ratio needed to be to make it work.

About batteries: I use fork-lift type batteries, a 24 volt set (12 cells at 2 volts each) rated at about 1500 amp-hours. Each of the cells weighs about 200 pounds so the whole battery weighs over a ton. And they cost about $4000, some years ago. They should last 20 years, based on my past experience with similar batteries.
WisJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:56 AM   #10
Registered Member

Too much loss in the batteries, but an electric water heater or dishwasher with a timer are good options. There are heating systems that can store huge amounts of heat and then release them later. At a low enough electrical rate that becomes a good use of off peak power but the equipment is expensive and you'd want to be very certain that off peak rates would stay low.

Electrical companies would use batteries themselves if they could and many do. Some utilities use large pumps to fill reservoirs overnight from excess nuke capacity (they don't scale up and down to match load well) and then the reservoirs can generate hydro-electric during peak hours.