Opinions on 99 Civic HX - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-10-2006, 01:56 AM   #1
Registered Member

Opinions on 99 Civic HX

I currently drive a 92 Civic Si and a 03 Civic Si. I'm looking to get a car that was designed for high mileage as a starting point for FE mods. What do people think about the 96-99 Civic HX as a potential hypermiler? I'm seen several of these for sale around $3-4k.

Thanks,
Sean

Old 08-10-2006, 02:49 AM   #2
Registered Member

I don't think you're going to see a whole lot of difference compared to your SI since you're already pulling ~45mpg with no mods, the exception being from lean burn if you do a lot of cruising since I don't think your SI has this. Otoh, googling indicates your SI has a lower Cd (.31) than the civic you had in mind (.34), so you may end up with a vehicle that only gets ~5-10mpg better than your current, if that, assuming you make the same mods to both. I'd look for something with a small engine, and minimal reference area, which pretty much leaves older imports. If you're mechanically apt, something like a first/second gen accord or civic would be a nice base and you could pull together something that gets ~60-70mpg for under a grand if you're thrifty.

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:13 AM   #3
Registered Member

My first choice was a 99-00 HX 5 speed. But it's hard to find one. So I went with my second choice a 99-00 DX 5 speed. I'm sure with just the aero mods alone the HX numbers can be attained.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:27 AM   #4
Registered Member

Of course I am biased and would recommend the 92-95 VX. At 2094 lbs and a Cd of 0.31, the VX has more built in FE. And as SVOboy mentioned to me once, the HX has more power than you really need in an FE car. But I do like the HX wheels.

Of course if you cant find a VX, a CX will do nicely, what with all of those 70 horses festering under the hood. Whatever you do, stay away from the automatic transmissions.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 01:10 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to keep shopping for a 92-95 VX and continue moding the Si in the meantime.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:34 PM   #6
*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
I'm sure with just the aero mods alone the HX numbers can be attained.
Unfortunately, you're wrong. At least according to dan's numbers which quote something like 22% just from DX to CX/VX tranny. SI to VX would be much greater, not to mention all the other things.

I'd go for the VX, with the CX as a back up and the HX as a final resort, but that's just me liking the older, lighter cars and the ability to do a full VX conversion.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:54 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Unfortunately, you're wrong. At least according to dan's numbers which quote something like 22% just from DX to CX/VX tranny. SI to VX would be much greater, not to mention all the other things.

I'd go for the VX, with the CX as a back up and the HX as a final resort, but that's just me liking the older, lighter cars and the ability to do a full VX conversion.
I'm comparing a 99hx to a 99 dx. The thread was about a 99hx in the beginning. I was saying if you have a dx you can get hx numbers with just the aero mods alone.

Old 08-10-2006, 07:02 PM   #8
*shrug*

I still disagree, but *shrug* I've never seen any stats on a fully aero modded civic coupe.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:02 PM   #9
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
I'm comparing a 99hx to a 99 dx. The thread was about a 99hx in the beginning. I was saying if you have a dx you can get hx numbers with just the aero mods alone.
I entirely agree with you, except I'd add LRR tires and proper driving style to the mix. Then I think that you could surpass a HX.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 10:16 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
I entirely agree with you, except I'd add LRR tires and proper driving style to the mix. Then I think that you could surpass a HX.
I got 37mpg mostly street driving and I barely know how to operate a clutch. After I learn the clutch and get some bugs fixed I'm sure I can easily beat the EPA of the HX. A 99 HX only has 39mpg mixed for EPA.

Aero and LRR tires will just push me at 45+mpg.

I haven't even done anything to the car except inflate only the front tires to max psi.

Don't underestimate the DX, the force is strong.