Paint Action - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2008, 02:11 PM   #1
Registered Member

Paint Action

My OEM green paint is getting pretty rough and I'm thinking of having it re-painted. Does anyone know of a quality reasonably priced auto body shop in Southern California? Someone who ideally does better work than One-A-Day or Maaco.

I realize that I'm asking for a bit of a miracle, but I think the good people of Gassavers will come through with a good suggestion!

Thanks!

Wandering Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:46 PM   #2
Registered Member

few questions:

What car is it?

How old is it?

How bad is it?

Any rust?

Any body damage?

Is it flaking off or just fading/few chips?

depending on how you answer those questions it may or may not be worth it. Could be anywhere from $2000+ for good whole car spray.

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:01 PM   #3
Registered Member

Good questions and comments.

The car is a '95 Civic VX with 135K miles. The body is fairly straight minus door dings and light push on the bumper/tailgate by a parking SUV. Nothing major and it is a CA so it 100% rust free. It mainly has fading, scratches, and portions where the clear is peeling.

Mechanically the car is in exceptional condition. Interior is in good shape as well.

VetteOwner, congrats on your 1,000th post!
Wandering Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:14 PM   #4
Registered Member

Heard about the "$50" paint job?
Here's a good run down on it...
http://www.rickwrench.com/index79mas...llarpaint.html

With all the prep supplies etc, "$50" is a little on the optimistic side, but it's certainly economical and gives great results when done properly. I've seen one up close and would say it's superior to practically any $500 "blow over" and beats a lot of factory orange peel specials.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:31 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
For paint that is simply faded I sand it lightly, then give it a coat of clear coat, it brings back the color and shine and blends in with the non faded parts of the car perfectly, it's also cheap, a $7 can of clear coat will do the hood and roof of a car with sun damage, another $5 for sand paper, a little time, and you are done.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:10 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Albatross View Post
My OEM green paint is getting pretty rough and I'm thinking of having it re-painted. Does anyone know of a quality reasonably priced auto body shop in Southern California? Someone who ideally does better work than One-A-Day or Maaco.

I realize that I'm asking for a bit of a miracle, but I think the good people of Gassavers will come through with a good suggestion!

Thanks!
I wrecked most of my cars...well all of them...LOL and I pretty much know where to go for a good paint job...

Try Greg's Collision in Bellflower, CA... it's about 5min from Long Beach..they did a spectacular job on my civic..

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:37 PM   #7
Registered Member

Look up Duplicolor's paint shop, that looks to have good results and easy and cheap