Paint issues - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2011, 08:10 AM   #1
Registered Member

Paint issues

I took my Si to a local paint shop for some touch-ups. The front bumper was scuffed and some nicks and scratches were evident when I bought the car about 2 months ago. Also, the front bumper had been curbed, and needed to be reshaped slightly.

The shop told me that if I dropped off the car on Friday afternoon, it should be ready on Saturday by 12:00 (when they close). The price quote was $325.

It was not ready on Saturday. They called and said that they needed to do additional blend work, and it would raise the price, but not much.

It was not ready on Monday at lunch. The shop called me and told me I'd be really happy with the results. They told me they'd give me a ride to pick up the car at 4:30 when I got off work. I waited, but no one called. Finally, my wife came and picked me up at 4:30 and drove me to the shop.

The front bumper re-shaping went well, but the paint looked like it was applied with a sponge. I had seen the work done at this shop a few years ago, and it was immaculate. I received no such treatment yesterday.

On my car, the paint chips were not completely filled in, but the paint was still spilled over the edge onto the surrounding bodywork. It did not completely fill the chips. Still, the paint was still high on the edge surrounding the chips, much higher than the rest of the paint on the panel.

The paint on the front bumper looked like it was applied with a brush. It had lines in it, and there was one spot where they painted OVER a dealer sticker.

The spot on the passenger door shows significant orange peel, nothing like the rest of the factory paint. It was there that they told me they wanted to melt the clearcoat down with a buffer and smooth it all out because the chips were noticable. It looks much worse now than it did when I brought it in.

They detailed my interior without my asking them to. I had just cleaned it all 2 weeks ago. They sprayed something all over the inside windows that I cannot get off. I can barely see to drive at night.

There were several items (pens, pencils, notepads, umbrella, gum, etc.) that were missing from the car when I picked it up. They called down to the other shop where they worked on the car, and brought the stuff to the office. Still, there were several pens and cheap items missing.

And, even after taking $50 off for my troubles, and taking the detail off my bill, they changed me $510, which is 62% more than the estimate. I'm taking the car back in 2 weeks after the paint cures to have it re-done. If it is still poorly done, I am having the car re-painted at a dealership, and sending them the bill.

I may even take it in there for an estimate before I go back to the paint shop in 2 weeks.

IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
Registered Member

Re: Paint issues

I don't see how they could raise their initial quote of $325. If it was a written quote, then I'd try to make them redo the paint AND give the difference back.

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
Registered Member

They told me over the phone that they needed to buff out the clearcoat to melt it and that it would be an extra $150 or so... but it honestly looks terrible.

If you walk down the side of my car, you can see how the reflectiveness of the paint differs sharply from one place to the next. Plus, you can see every place where the car was touched up.

Since it is a metallic gray car, you could not see the chips and scratches from more than 5 feet away before the car was worked on. Now, I can see them from at least 20 feet, and I have bad eyes.
IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #4
Registered Member

next time, I would rock the duplicolor and be done with it (~$10 from auto store)

sucks that you tried to do it the "right" way and still got burned. I hope it all works out for you.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:39 PM   #5
Registered Member

my father was a paint and body guy most of his life. he painted many cars at home in a compromising self built wooden garage, and had only one complaint his entire career...it was ridiculously unfounded.

with a paint room and modern tech/equipment this is unacceptable. i'm very cheap...but that said, i believe you SHOULD be refunded everything but the $325, be given a free rental while they make the car right, and an apology is in order!
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:53 PM   #6
Registered Member

Its not a big issue but I'll try to make them redo the paint and give the difference back.

sherlyB is offline   Reply With Quote