Play a game, power the world - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-07-2007, 09:03 AM   #1
Registered Member

Play a game, power the world

This story has a link to a Chevron site where you are invited to power a city of 4 million through 2030. You are able to choose various means to accomplish the task, including clean or dirty energy, and conservation. I've not had a chance to give it a shot.

Telco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 02:06 PM   #2
Registered Member

awesome link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telco View Post
This story has a link to a Chevron site where you are invited to power a city of 4 million through 2030. You are able to choose various means to accomplish the task, including clean or dirty energy, and conservation. I've not had a chance to give it a shot.
awesome link Telco! doesn't suprise me that 5 hours(as of this post) since placing this thread, you have no other responses. shows how much interest there is on the forum in relation to interactive enviro solutions/ramifications. super idea none the less!

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 02:12 PM   #3
Registered Member

You have to run an activex control to play (and follow multiple links). Consider the alternative point of view...

(besides it is a fictional game)

(and it is fiction provided by Chevron)
Old 09-07-2007, 11:47 PM   #4
Registered Member

Great... Just what I need is ****ing Chevron lecturing me on the environment. Notice how they intentionally made it impossible to go with green solutions because of 'economic' impacts and 'unexpected events?' How about how they kept cars as the primary source of transportation?
repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:57 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete86 View Post
Great... Just what I need is ****ing Chevron lecturing me on the environment. Notice how they intentionally made it impossible to go with green solutions because of 'economic' impacts and 'unexpected events?' How about how they kept cars as the primary source of transportation?
Don't blow off the views of Chevron. Yes, their simulation will be biased, but look at it with open eyes. Economic and environmental concerns are very real issues that must be dealt with if we are going to go green. Recognizing that these issues must be dealt with and can't just be ignored is the only way to proceed along the greener road. Sometimes, looking at what the opposition sees is the only way to see these issues, because people can be clouded to issues by their own ideals.
Telco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 10:08 AM   #6
*shrug*

fuel economy forum
vegan recipes
green home improvement
honda gas mileage
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 10:21 AM   #7
*shrug*

fuel economy forum
vegan recipes
green home improvement
honda gas mileage
Old 09-08-2007, 10:51 AM   #8
Registered Member

I agree. The other one that was put up a few weeks ago was better in which you control Europe for 100 years before being run out of office.
repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 10:57 AM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
I scored in the top 15% of players and had 30%ish impacts across the board, but I didn't feel the game had much depth.
Their target audience wouldn't finish the game then... And then they would loose a data source... I wonder if they are going to collect and use that data for anything... Something like "Oh, 80% support petroleum" or something stupid like that

I just played a few times, and the algorithm is predictable. Use a little of any resource and you'll get a benefit. Use a lot of any resource, you'll get a terrorist attack or other bad thing happen.

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:04 AM   #10
*shrug*

fuel economy forum
vegan recipes
green home improvement
honda gas mileage