politics and gassavers - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2009, 12:49 PM   #11
Registered Member

true, but i like Boortz's view on the right to vote.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:14 PM   #12
Registered Member

lol all politicians are corrupt find me one who isnt and ill find you a liar.....

do we have any canadians here? Whats it like up there? As close as we are we get more news of europe than u guys...

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:50 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
true, but i like Boortz's view on the right to vote.
I just read about "his belief about who should be allowed to vote". Sounds like he'd like to go back to just white, male landowners being allowed to vote. OK, I'd still be able to vote. That's not the world I want to go back to.

I wonder if that is his real, personal belief, or if that is just a radio persona, carefully crafted to appeal to his target audience?

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:04 AM   #14
Registered Member

no, i understand it to be based on welfare. those dependent on the govt would not be eligible to vote. i think he often jokes about an intelligence test as well.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:06 AM   #15

While it's our constitional right to vote, it's our responsibility to be an informed voter.

Just like there are people that shouldn't be given command of Wal-Mart shopping carts, automobiles, and children, there are people that we might not want to be in command of a vote. The sheer uninformed stupidity of some people should prevent them from being allowed into the polling place.

And that would be completely divorced from their political affiliation...
Mayhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #16
Registered Member

absolutely correct!

i always site the example of a corporation. i wouldn't want the janitor(or myself for that matter if i was uninformed) to vote in which direction my company would go if given a vote.

in the same token, it is his right(the janitor) to educate himself and work hard to the point of promotion. if time and skill allows, he could at some point make executive decisions from the top.

the entitlements argument is a weak one at best. entitlements can and do ruin nations--see Thomas Jefferson quotes. take me as an example...my IQ is very average, and i did not finish my formal education. i work hard at what i do, serving the best i can while trying to better myself and my company.

financial advisers site example after example of how individuals and families could actually live on what they make IF wiser decisions were made. perhaps our education/political system should focus less on sharing wealth, and more on wise spending and cutting waste.

oh, wait, federal and local govt can't even do that, so how could they teach it?! the sick thing is, those that REALLY need help can't get all they need as a result of "milkers" of the system. you know the morons that will continue to vote a certain way for certain continuation of entitlements?

WE NEED...voter reform, REAL creation of jobs, govt spending reform, tax cuts, welfare reform, healthcare reform withOUT govt interference. these are very tough political issues, but they are NOT being addressed properly. and that's my view on and problem with politics--and i will quote Mr. Incredible, "...completely divorced from their(any) political affiliation."

i don't think ANYONE in congress or the white house can bring this difficult yet necessary REAL change, so i recommend voting out ALL incumbents the next 2 elections, democrack or republicant! oh, BTW, if you're unhappy w/ your local politicians, vote them out as well.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:29 PM   #17

If that were to actually happen, would the cure be worse than the disease?

Our government would be in a weakened state of accumulated wisdom/knowledge/know-how and wind up at the mercy of both entrenched lobbyists and the lifetime government bureaucrats. There would be a time of vulnerability before strong government could overcome those vultures.

Could it survive that long? Could it come out the other side strong enough to beat back the forces of sloth and largesse?
Mayhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:05 PM   #18
Registered Member

don't get me wrong, govt is necessary, just not this growing form of it. the cure could be worse than the disease in the short term, at least for some.

what really sets me off is that most of the private sector is cutting costs and lowering/maintaining prices while the govt, at all levels is raising/creating taxes and/or increasing fees/rates.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:33 PM   #19
Registered Member

Jefferson feared career politicians and recommended cleaning house every 20 years.

We are about 200 years overdue.

I say can all the incumbents, it will put the newcomers on notice.

Will that produce a better or worse political environment?

I don't think it could get worse.

It may take a Constitutional Convention.

regards
Gary
Old 10-22-2009, 03:52 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post

what really sets me off is that most of the private sector is cutting costs and lowering/maintaining prices while the govt, at all levels is raising/creating taxes and/or increasing fees/rates.
agreed, IL just increased its license plate stickers AGAIN last year it was $78 (up from $68 the previous year) this year its a whopping 90 freakin bucks!

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote