Possible Bus Route Cuts - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-02-2008, 05:35 AM   #1
Registered Member

Possible Bus Route Cuts

i know some of you all support mass transit to help reduce fuel consumption. and others of us do not have that option.

here is a local story of interest, that i hope does not become a national trend...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,2408969.story

if i could, i would most certainly take the bus to work, but it's not a viable option for me(and many others in O-town).

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:18 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
I've read about this either happening already or going to happen in a few major cities. I think LA was the first one to say they needed to do it.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:58 AM   #3

It is happening here in Jacksonville. The routs themselves haven't been changed, but they are only running ever half hour instead of every 15 minutes. This has been in effect for about a month. Come to think of it, it happened right after they extended the bus routs to the beach. According to the sign at the bus stop, they plan more cutbacks and a rate increase in the near future... good thing i have a year pass...
Ratman667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:41 AM   #4
Registered Member

well, besides not being able to catch the bus as i start work before they run in my area, consider...

i would have to ride 2 or 3 different buses, and it would take ~1.5 hours to get to work(takes me 20-25 min in my car).

and cost $2 to ride. it only costs me ~$1.75 in gas (granted there are other costs involved) at the current price.

edit: my wife is led to believe it actually takes more like 2 hours to ride.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:06 PM   #5
Registered Member

It's pretty sad how our nation funds mass transit. I alternately road the bus or my bike for 6 months straight 2 years ago and it worked very well for me. In fact it worked so well that I wish bus service went to my new work location. That said, the bus was always crowded. The afternoon trip home always had me wondering whether I would even get to sit down at all. Yet despite the utilization of the line I rode, it was still only every 30 minutes, and was really only convenient by chance of where I chose to buy a house.

So many other locations in my town involve up to a 10 minute walk just to get to the nearest stop - only to wait for up to half an hour at a time. It's amazing so many people ride the bus at all here given those obstacles.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote