possible redirection with my n600 - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2006, 06:36 AM   #11
Tuggin at the surly bonds

So, tell us more

So, tell us more. Why do you want the n600? As a driver? As a cool ecclectic car? As a restored and pristine example of Honda's early days? As an education or hobby?

Old 05-09-2006, 08:41 AM   #12
Driving on E

Re: So, tell us more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveredwings
So, tell us more. Why do you want the n600? As a driver? As a cool ecclectic car? As a restored and pristine example of Honda's early days? As an education or hobby?
I like the n600 because:

It's unique

It's a part of Honda history

It will be way fun to drive around

education AND hobby (but then again i also have that with my sedan)

the owner of this car is notorious for not replying to emails, so I might not even hear back from him.

The biggest selling point to me is that this green car has a rebuilt engine, new suspension, etc. The cheapest engine rebuild I can find will be well over $2000, and I doubt that has a NOS crankshaft with it like this engine does.

This car is essentially just like those CRX guys who spend thousands finding every possible available option for the CRX and putting it on their car. This car has the Hawaiian head (rare), Mag wheels, optional center console, European tail lights, fog lights, etc. etc.

Assuming he replies to my query and assuming the price is right, I still might do it.

On the plus side, I think I found a rebuild cylinder head really cheap. Maybe I should slowly build my own engine for the sedan. That would be super sweet.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
The cheapest engine rebuild I can find will be well over $2000, and I doubt that has a NOS crankshaft with it like this engine does.
Please forgive my ignorance. I don't doubt the engine is rare and that you are not exaggerating, I just don't understand why what appears to be a 2-cylinder air-cooled honda motorcycle engine should be that expensive to rebuild. Can a bike engine rebuild shop handle such a job if you brought it to them? Are the parts made of unobtanium? Maybe I just don't know what these things cost.

Just curious.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveredwings
Please forgive my ignorance. I don't doubt the engine is rare and that you are not exaggerating, I just don't understand why what appears to be a 2-cylinder air-cooled honda motorcycle engine should be that expensive to rebuild. Can a bike engine rebuild shop handle such a job if you brought it to them? Are the parts made of unobtanium? Maybe I just don't know what these things cost.

Just curious.
OE Honda N/Z/S components are next to impossible to find. For a head rebuild (for instance) you pretty much have to either have your valves reground or you buy custom new ones. This goes for the cam as well as everything else. These little cars do have a following so there are suppliers for these parts and services, but the following is small therefore you can't run down to NOPI and buy a new cam for your Z600.
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:55 AM   #15
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX
OE Honda N/Z/S components are next to impossible to find. For a head rebuild (for instance) you pretty much have to either have your valves reground or you buy custom new ones. This goes for the cam as well as everything else. These little cars do have a following so there are suppliers for these parts and services, but the following is small therefore you can't run down to NOPI and buy a new cam for your Z600.
This is exactly the problem. Honda seems to have broken the mold after this making this engine. They didn't make a 600cc engine for a motorcycle until around 10 years later. I'm positive the parts won't match.

There is a guy who sells NOS crankshafts for around $1000. He's also selling the green car. I have no idea HOW he managed to get all of these old crankshafts. I can only guess he worked for Honda or something in the past and snatched them all up on the way out.

I did find a website in Taiwan that claims to sell new pistons and camshafts for the n600. I emailed them and had no response. It kinda pisses me off too because I spent all night finding that site.

the guy who sells the crankshafts also sells pistons 1mm over bore for rebuilds for around $600. When you add it all up suddenly $2k-$3k for a rebuild starts to make a lot of sense.

I might end up doing this eventually, assuming my engine craps out on me.

The other option is to try to get a d15z1 in there, or maybe an engine from a CRX HF. That woudl require lots of custom work and I'm honestly not really qualified to do that much work.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:43 AM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
Instead of restoring it, why

Instead of restoring it, why not convert it? It would make an excellent electric, and the unique factor would be even higher.
The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:49 AM   #17
Driving on E

Re: Instead of restoring it, why

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toecutter
Instead of restoring it, why not convert it? It would make an excellent electric, and the unique factor would be even higher.
I may go this route in the future, but for now it's going to be a gas driver.

to convert this I'd have to outsource a new transmission, make a custom shift linkage, and have custom axles made. This engine/tranny combo is not really versatile.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:01 PM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
another engine idea

for a new engine, how about a honda cb400f v-tec engine? you would have to find one and have it shiped from japan, but they are 400cc dohc water cooled 4 cylender v-tec's that operate in either 8 or 16 valve modes, it would be smaller, lighter, and I'm pretty sure more powerful then your stock engine.
by the way, I've been told that the n600 has a chain drive, is it front or rear wheel drive?
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 03:42 PM   #19
Driving on E

Re: another engine idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland
for a new engine, how about a honda cb400f v-tec engine? you would have to find one and have it shiped from japan, but they are 400cc dohc water cooled 4 cylender v-tec's that operate in either 8 or 16 valve modes, it would be smaller, lighter, and I'm pretty sure more powerful then your stock engine.
by the way, I've been told that the n600 has a chain drive, is it front or rear wheel drive?
n600 is not a chain drive. You're thinking of the s600. My car is front drive. the s600 is rear I believe.

I'm going to look at the cb400f v-tec... do you have any links about it? physical size, etc?
Old 05-09-2006, 07:33 PM   #20

Re: another engine idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland
n600 is not a chain drive. You're thinking of the s600. My car is front drive. the s600 is rear I believe.

I'm going to look at the cb400f v-tec... do you have any links about it? physical size, etc?
Besides the single-row overhead cam drive chain (between the cylinders), the <a href="http://www.honda600coupe.com/Honda_600_Sedan_Shop_Manual.html">shop manual</a> shows two single-row chains that connect the left-hand end of the crank shaft to the clutch/transmission main shaft. From there it looks like gears that eventually drive a normal-looking differential with CV joints to the shafts. It's a pretty neat setup.