possible redirection with my n600 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2006, 02:29 PM   #1
Driving on E

possible redirection with my n600

I'm unsure if this is still an option or not, but I'm considering it.

A guy in North Carolina is selling his n600. It's restored and customized. Engine is rebuilt, NOS parts galore. It has lots of difficult to find pieces AND is pretty cool looking to boot. It's not a "factory" restore, but it is very unique.

I asked him a few months ago how much he wanted for it and he said $6k. I couldn't afford it. He put it on ebay and hte highest bid was $4500. It didn't meet his reserve. I emailed him today asking what his price is.

Here's the thought:

The car itself will be all new componenets (shocks, suspension, seats, carpet, engine-crankshaft, rods, pistons, etc.). Carburator is rebuilt, master cylinder is rebuilt. It has all new stainless steel fuel lines, the works. It also has the hard to find lightweight mag wheels which usually cost $1000 for the set.

My car has very few "new" parts, and the engine is not rebuilt.

I imagine I could sell my n600 for around $2k considering the work I have put into it. This means I could be looking at around $3k to $4k for the car, plus shipping costs (around $600 or so).

What would YOU do? Is it better to continue with my car and MAYBE be at this stage in a few years, or to just bite the bullet and get one that is already done so I can enjoy it now?

BTW, here are some pictures of the car in question:

Like I said, I'm unsure if he still has it or not, or even if it's something I should do, but I'm seriously considering it just to get a working, dependable n600 now. I would also be getting a GREAT deal at this price.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 03:23 PM   #2
*shrug*

Me would enjoy the

Me would enjoy the experience of building my own car, but offer to buy the rims.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 04:06 PM   #3
Registered Member

i'd keep going on yours

i'd keep going on yours matt. what a great learning experience.

those rims are nice, yup.

and that stripe. never seen that approach before, but it works on that car.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 04:12 PM   #4
Registered Member

Does the direction of the

Does the direction of the racing stripe indicate the direction of travel? That would be interesting to watch.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 04:42 PM   #5
Tuggin at the surly bonds

Re: possible redirection with my n600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
What would YOU do? Is it better to continue with my car and MAYBE be at this stage in a few years, or to just bite the bullet and get one that is already done so I can enjoy it now?
I've seen it said more than once that it's almost always cheaper (not to mention a heck of a lot easier) to buy a car already restored than to do it yourself. You have to ask yourself what you want: an end to a means, or a means to an end.

If you just want to have the car finished and then hope to sell it at break-even or better, then the odds are against you. Dump it now. Get the car you want and be happy with it.

If you thoroughly enjoy the process you're currently immersed in then continue to enjoy it for what it is, while it lasts. Some people just like working on cars as a labor of love.

If you want a driver but don't have the money to pay someone else to fix it, then keep up the good work.

If you want a really nicely restored car and would rather pay less <strong>now</strong> than to pay <strong>more</strong> and skin fewer knuckles in the long run, then buy a car restored car the way you like it.

IMHO, every education costs something. If you enjoy learning, then it's a noble and practical hobby. If you'd rather drive it than build it, then cut your losses as soon as you can afford to and buy the car you want. Life has a way of providing all the lessons you ever need.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:56 PM   #6
Registered Member

nicely said,

nicely said, silveredwings.

reminded me of a similar boating nugget: if you want to build a boat, build a boat. if you want to go boating, buy a boat.

ps - that healy is gorgeous.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:41 PM   #7
Driving on E

As awesome as this new car

As awesome as this new car is, I probably shouldn't be spending this much money when I have student loan to pay off. besides, it WILL be cool to say I restored a car.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:13 AM   #8
Registered Member

good thing you choosed the

good thing you choosed the more rewarding route

shame on you for adding debt :P
Old 05-09-2006, 01:29 AM   #9
Driving on E

Re: good thing you choosed the

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmcneal
good thing you choosed the more rewarding route

shame on you for adding debt :P
The sad thing is that doing it this way will probably cost me more in the long run.

Then again, I'm kind of sick of spending money. I'd like to make some for a change.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:44 AM   #10

My useless opinion is... Get

My useless opinion is...

Get the one already restored.

I have personally restored a classic car before, and it takes TONS of time, money, and energy. Getting my 1973 Porsche 914 to the point it was at was WAY expensive. Don't get me wrong...when you fully restore a car, you know EVERYTHING about it...you know that everything is done right (that is, if you have made sure to do everything right). That's the only downside I can see to buying a car that someone else has restored - you don't know if they have cut any corners until you look at it.

My 914 rebuild was $12K+ in the making and over 3 years of time was invested. I ended up selling the car for only $7500.

GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote