Post your morning commute! - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2007, 01:15 PM   #21
Registered Member

Well, here is my afternoon drive, the morning commute is the exact opposite, but with 2 more stop signs.

I start off at school where I pull a U turn, or go around the block. Stop at the stop signs (2 either way) From the second stop sign I have to merge onto the main street (only way to get across the river with out driving a LOT farther) I quickly accelerated to 30-38 mph, and stay at this speed Up till the kink in the road, from here it is a rather steep incline. I'd say a good 90? feet in elevation. It's just steep enough I can completely lift off the throttle in drive, and it will just misfire to keep speeds at about 30 mph while getting 30 mpg (on a warm day) Then there is the sharp corner and up the bridge I go (more steep) where I get about 12 mpg. At the top of the bridge I coast down into the turning lane. If i'm lucky there won't be oncoming, but usualy I have to wait a while in the turn lane. I cruise on the other street for 2 blocks, and make a blind right hand corner over a very unsmooth manhole cover (20 mph MAX) It's a few blocks before i coast down for my turn and into the driveway. Total distance is 1.3 miles.

This is the elevation of the trip, the thing this doesnt show, is at the lowest point, is the sharp corner :-(

Old 02-28-2007, 04:27 PM   #22
Registered Member

I'm too paranoid to post a map to my home.
However: My present commute is a mere 10 miles each way, or only nine if I have the snow tires on. The first 1/4 mile is uphill then it is down hill for the next 5 1/2 miles. The balance is level or downhill. The distance takes 20 minutes for an average of 30 with a maximum of 50 mph. The on board display indicates 50 mpg for the trip to work.
The return takes as long so the average speed is the same, but the mpg indicated is in the high 30's to low 40's.
I'm still working on adjusting the accuracy of the actual display numbers with this engine and computer, but the 25% reduction on the return trip mpg seems realistic.

Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:29 PM   #23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
I'm too paranoid to post a map to my home.
Yeah, i was about to post it to my actual house, but was like neaaahhh, we'll go with general area.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:34 PM   #24
Registered Member

ahh heck, by knowing my fathers name, I can find our house anyways.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:53 PM   #25
Registered Member

In a world full of YouTube blogs, closed circuit cameras, & video-cell phones, nobody's identity is safe anymore. Heck, when I was working as a delivery driver for a pizza place, the store's computer system needed each customer's address entered, even for pickup orders.

I had a few people phone in and refuse to order from us because they didn't want the pizza store to know where they live (yet they'd come and pick up their pizzas and I'd follow their car to their house when I take a delivery. I then spooked the same pick-up customer a few days later when I recited their address that I memorized and stored into the computer).

I think by the year 2020, nobody will have privacy anymore. We'll just have to deal with it.
Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 08:46 PM   #26
Registered Member

Here's a short video of me driving to school in mid-afternoon traffic. Only 1 minute and 49 seconds of the 8+ minute commute shown.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:40 AM   #27
Team GasMisers5!

Privacy : In the UK, on most motorways, you can often see 4-5 cameras watching you from various places. This country has turned into a surveillance state and it is rapidly getting worse. By 2012, they want to have a GPS device in every car, and record exactly when/where your car has been, and store the info indefinitely. Over the next 10 years, they will introduce biometric ID cards including digital data of your address/name/dob/health status/other info/Retina Scan (no joke), biometric facial analysis. These will need to be carried around by people whenever in public

Regarding routeslip - just save the elevation chart, host it elsewhere, and no privacy concerns will be present I'll just do that now - it works in the UK too

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:47 AM   #28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skewbe View Post
Just curious, have you ever walked or biked the three miles to school?
I walked home from school for the 1st time today. The smarter thing I should've done was to get the shuttle driver to drop me off at home instead of school so I could drive the truck. Anyways, the temperature was -4*C & 44km/h NW winds (-13*C with the windchill) so the 50 minute walk was pretty miserable:
Attachment 275
On the bright side, I said 'hi' to about 1/2 dozen other pedestrians, walked through my old neighbourhood, and even saw a nicely restored AMC Pacer wagon in someone's driveway
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2007, 01:42 PM   #29
Supporting Member

Current commute: 74 miles with 70 miles of it on freeways...

8.72 mile commute when I move in the next few weeks...

7.43 mile alternate route, avoiding the freeway...

I'll post my FE for both of these new-home routes when I can.
davidjh72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:27 AM   #30
Registered Member

New commute

I just scored a job at a mattress store as a sales representative. This will be my first job in sales (or anything above minimum hourly wage really) and I'm kind of nervous about what to expect. The owner that interviewed me seemed impressed and hired me on the spot. It looks like I'll have big shoes to fill.

Anyways, the store is very close to where I live and I feel kind of dumb driving when I could just bike or walk. Just need to check the weather forecasts though if I'm not taking the car:

Attachment 458
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mapimage.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	402