Power Increase: 9/22, 9/23 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2006, 08:49 AM   #1
Registered Member

Power Increase: 9/22, 9/23

Just a remark...

I noticed driving yesterday that the Integra is pulling hills with relative ease lately. The data confirms it -- on hills before where I would scrub 10 mph at constant throttle, at the same input, the car only loses around 2 mph.

The intake air is the same (120F) and the FE has increased

The outside temps are much cooler, but I haven't been using the A/C for a while. The only thing I can think of is a recent oil change, but I've had a few trips since then without this kind of power. The humidity is up which could aid in the combustion dynamics, but otherwise, I'm stumped.

RH77

Old 09-23-2006, 10:25 AM   #2
Registered Member

My car had a loss of power. I need to do a lot of maintenance on mine.

It's most likely your transmission. Automatics are weird. One day it will lag, other days it hauls ***.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 07:19 AM   #3
*shrug*

My auto never did that, and I don't really see any basis to say that a set of gears and such physical components would operate differently at different times.

Perhaps it's just one of those things. I had something like this happen after my wire tuck, Iono why though,
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:54 PM   #4
Registered Member

Probably the E10.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 04:16 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to tomauto Send a message via MSN to tomauto Send a message via Yahoo to tomauto
GT4 experience

On Gran Turismo 4, when you bought a used car, it had a nice old oil in it, and if you would check the horsepower before and after...you would notice a 3-8 hp increase when you changed the oil. It very well could be that depending on how old the oil was.
Beater: 1988 Honda Civic DX Hatback - Stripped - 30mpg

RIP: 1996 Honda Civic LX 42mpg - you will be missed

https://tomauto.smugmug.com/Cars
tomauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 04:29 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
If you're running synthetic oil this time, more power is probably reaching your wheels than running regular oil.
The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 05:14 PM   #7
Registered Member

No Exxon/Mobil

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toecutter
If you're running synthetic oil this time, more power is probably reaching your wheels than running regular oil.
I've been boycotting Exxon/Mobil for a year or more due to their unethical business practices (as well as Wal-Mart).

This leaves Mobil 1 out of the question, which was the exclusive oil in all of my cars. I just changed to Castrol GTX dino oil and left it at that.

RH77
Old 09-24-2006, 06:38 PM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Castrol has been my oil of choice for many many years and is what the manufacturer of my Moto Morini motorcycles recommends because of its misting properties for lubricating the valves. The Syntec Blend is very good as is the full Synthetic . . . of course now I use Synlube . . . told a guy with a big old porche today and he will put it in the tranny first and maybe the engine once he finds the oil leaks . . . engine takes about 9 quarts and has been using Mobile1
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 06:57 PM   #9
Registered Member

Dino - Synth - Dino/Synth - Dino - Synth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo
Castrol has been my oil of choice for many many years and is what the manufacturer of my Moto Morini motorcycles recommends because of its misting properties for lubricating the valves. The Syntec Blend is very good as is the full Synthetic . . . of course now I use Synlube . . . told a guy with a big old porche today and he will put it in the tranny first and maybe the engine once he finds the oil leaks . . . engine takes about 9 quarts and has been using Mobile1
Since I change the oil myself, it could be feasible to run the Syntec or full Synth -- but I've gone around and around between Dino and Synth, so I just go with what's cheap and recommended. I chose Castrol because of the same reason -- a good friend raced motorcycles and it was almost required. I may try Syntec next time depending on the price. I used the Mobil 1 back in the autocross days for added protection -- unfortunately, the molecules are smaller, and tend to go bye-bye. Synlube is too expensive for my applications, sorry.

RH77
Old 09-24-2006, 07:16 PM   #10
Registered Member

you're only hurting yourself.

I plan to switch to Mobil 1 synthetic for my next oil change. I never get Mobil/Exxon gas anyway.

Shell or Chevron for me.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote