Problem with my 69 lincoln continental - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-26-2007, 04:20 PM   #1
Registered Member

Exclamation Problem with my 69 lincoln continental

i was driving down hwy 55 when the car went from 60-0 in almost 8 seconds flat. I put it in park and pu it in drive when i reved the car it maxed out the rpm's but went no where i put it back into park got out loked on the right rear side of the car and noticed the tire was jammed up into the wheel well. So i got under the car to see what had happened and noticed the suspension had fallen and slid slightly farther right. Upon looking at the axle and suspension itself nothing was twisted or broke i looked up at the leaf springs on the right side and noticed the binder had broke hlding the leaf spring nice and tight. When i jacked the car up about 1 foot the left tire rose off the ground but the right side was still touching the ground which makes sense if the leaf spring binder was broke, but i cannot figure out why the cars suspension shifted to the right when it did. Somone told me it could be the ball joint or u joint on the car + the leaf spring binder. I have no idea and really cannot afford to take it in to get it fixed. As i said the axle, suspension, and the frame did not get bent after this happened. If anyone can give me sum general info as to what it might be that would be great.
i can also take some pictures if needed.

od_satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:31 PM   #2
Registered Member

hmm so the leaf spring broke loose? did the front and rear mount break with it or did the bolt/pin that holds the leaft to the shackel break?

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:54 PM   #3
Registered Member

just the right side did in the rear the little shackel that holds the leaf spring pressure is what broke
Old 10-26-2007, 04:55 PM   #4
Registered Member

*rear passenger side
Old 10-26-2007, 05:07 PM   #5
Registered Member

well id repalce both sides. im sure u can get replacement ones
Old 10-26-2007, 05:12 PM   #6
Registered Member

but would just that cause the tire to shift more to the right and up to the wheel well?
Old 10-26-2007, 05:51 PM   #7
Registered Member

Yer talking about the little bracket that holds the different sized leaf springs together right? Won't the long spring deflect way more w/o the other ones bending with it if the bracket breaks?
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:47 PM   #8
Registered Member

im not sure if hes talking about those clamps or if hes talkign about the shackles that hold the leaf to the car frame.

either way thier worn out, just replace em.

could have broken a leaf too, that would cause the cars rear to sag like no other depending on what leaf
Old 10-26-2007, 10:04 PM   #9
Registered Member

I think either way the wheel could end up jammed in the wheel well, but I'm not sure...
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 07:27 AM   #10

Leaf Spring Stuff

In a leaf spring suspension, not only does the spring hold up the car, it positions the axle, side-to-side and front-to-back. The leaf springs are the only things holding the axle to the chassis. Typically the front leaf spring mount will be a simple pivot while the rear will have a link that allows the spring to "grow and shrink" lengthwise as it deflects.
So it's really only the simple pivot end of the leaf spring that positions the axle front-to-back and I suspect that that's what has failed.
If you live near a city of size, there might be a spring shop available and that would probably be your best bet in terms of getting it repaired for the least amount of money. Muffler shops probably would be your next-best bet.

[Edit] The stuff I said above is true but I reread your post and it does look like you're saying that the thing holding the spring leaves together is broken. Or that the u-bolts that clamp the spring to the axle broke. A spring or muffler shop is probably where you'll need to go. Otherwise, see what the salvage yards have to offer.

Good Luck.

css28 is offline   Reply With Quote