Push mowers - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2005, 01:53 PM   #11
Registered Member

Pushing mower!

The only time I push <b>my</b> mower is when it runs out of gas. I routinely cut approximately 2 acres each time. I don't think I wanna push a mower around for too long!

Mebbe someone would like to come show me how it's done with their mower

Byrde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 02:54 PM   #12
Driving on E

Re: Pushing mower!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrde
The only time I push <b>my</b> mower is when it runs out of gas. I routinely cut approximately 2 acres each time. I don't think I wanna push a mower around for too long!

Mebbe someone would like to come show me how it's done with their mower
You have figured out where reel mowers are bad. For people like me (my house sits on a .2 acre lot) the push mower is great. The basic rule of thumb is if your lot is bigger than .25 acres you're probably better off with a gas or electric mower.

I was actually considering buying an battery powered electric mower (I think Black and Decker makes one, or is it Craftsman?). Some people have just hooked those up to an outlet that gets it's power from solar panels. That's a lot of work, but if energy independance is your goal it makes sense.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 11:10 AM   #13
westcoastbroke

Our solution is to let

Our solution is to let mother nature choose the landscape. If you don't fertilize, then you don't need to water, and if you do neither, then it grows very slowly. We mow once a year, just before the "grass" (local weeds, really) goes dormant.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:20 PM   #14
Registered Member

you need to get a riding

you need to get a riding mower.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:23 PM   #15
*shrug*

Quote:you need to get a

Quote:
you need to get a riding mower.
You are one crazy fellow. I would've put bigger wheels on the front to keep from sinking though, and just had them offset up.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 07:28 AM   #16
Registered Member

BIG polluters

Overall, gas-powered lawn mowers account for a HUGE amount of emissions in North America. No Catalytic converter or other emissions equipment x 1000's of users per day in the warmer months and you get a considerable amount of pollution. It sounds crazy, but it's a fact.

RH77
Old 06-13-2006, 08:21 PM   #17
Registered Member

i bought a honda lawnmower, man that thing sips gas. i might use 1 gallon a year, if that. yard size is .29 acres. if honda will make a motor less lawnmower i'd buy it
white90crxhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 09:33 PM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
electric mower

we have a sweet Toro 14" electric lawn mower, it's really nice for things like around the garden, and around trees, and other smaller areas, I don't think I would want to mow the whole lawn with it, but it's pretty light weight, has a lead acid battery about the size of the one in my honda (only a deep cycle) and a simple on/off switch, the only draw backs of it is, it hates having a dull blade, so hitting rocks and sticks is bad, and grass that is taller then a foot lugs it down a bit.
I tried cutting back on the size of the mowed lawn, but apparently grass clipings make great garden mulch, so the lawn got alot bigger.

GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote