Red Light Cameras :( - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2008, 03:22 PM   #21
Registered Member

Just a brief update. I fought my red light ticket and I WON! The primary reason that the judge gave was that the yellow turn interval was set for a timing equivalent to a 25 mph speed, but it was a 40 mph speed limit and I referenced the timing intervals called out for yellow light intervals, in the CA Cal Trans Manual. I argued my ticket on multiple counts, but this was what the judge used in finding me not guilty. This ticket was $360 here in CA and it was just a city revenue machine, in my perspective. I did include that in my written arguments.

I fought my ticket by mail, since I could still have requested court, if they had denied my written contest of the ticket.

Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:10 AM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
this is a very sore subject for our family...

my wife was given a ticket for a burned out tail light(1 of 3 BTW), yet no ticket has EVER been given to the speeders and "bass boomers" in our neigborhood.

we and several others near us have called out the sheriff's dept on MANY(uncountable) occasions about the traffic and noise ordinance violations. nothing, nada, zilch, zero is ever done about it.

point being that our county could make a killing in revenue if they took the time to patrol our street. sorry 'bout the rant.

The sayign is true, they're never there when you need them.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:17 AM   #23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Palmer View Post
I fought my red light ticket and I WON!
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:31 AM   #24
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
The cameras here usually get you for speeding through an intersection but also running the light if you happen to do that. They have the cameras also catch red light runners but the fee is only $150 and the yellows are set correctly. Not like Houston, TX where they shorten the yellow to make more money if the intersection isn't producing enough.

I like these cameras. One thing I don't like is that the city was fighting against and lost that people can't get pulled over because they made a u-turn to avoid a DWI checkpoint. I HATE drunk drivers.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:06 AM   #25
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjones96 View Post
I HATE drunk drivers.
agreed. my view is: one strike and you're out, PERIOD!

go to jail and lose your liscence FOREVER!
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:53 PM   #26
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo View Post
I my xB the other problem I have is that the roof line is low so I can't see the lights as I get close to them.
Used to be a common problem in the '40's and '50's. You need one of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Appa...m160243483804&
'09 Harley Nightster - 48mpg and 1/4 miles in the 12's
jcp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 07:27 AM   #27
Registered Member

Could be that we are heading for a society like China, where there are NO traffic cops, only CAMERAS! Speed and get a ticket in the mail. Run a red light and get a ticket in the mail. Spit out your window and get a ticket in the mail.
Maybe we should get out the paintball markers and deliver some "blind justice"!
No Clickee, No Tickee!
gasjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:05 AM   #28

I am going to my windshield guy to have a mini moonroof put behind the driver's visor in my CRX so I can see the lights. In CA it's easy, almost all lights have one on the right LOW on the pole. In WV they have idiotic high lights, and a LOT of people stooped over from a lifetime of craning down to see the lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo View Post
I my xB the other problem I have is that the roof line is low so I can't see the lights as I get close to them.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:59 AM   #29
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Are they so high that you can't simply stop a few feet further back to see them?
Old 05-23-2008, 11:17 AM   #30
Registered Member

I see arrogant drivers flagrantly running through intersections all the time after the light turns. It is as if they don't have to follow the rules. But if they get hit is it their fault?

Remember the main issue is safety. We who are driving in a responsible manner to save fuel and the equipment (our cars) should appreciate the need to avoid anarchy. When speeders are blowing by us without a thought of speed limits many of us shake our heads. Isn't blowing through red lights even worse when you consider the accidents they might cause?

mjswan is offline   Reply With Quote