Saturn Owners (or anyone else) - advice? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-21-2007, 03:39 PM   #1
Registered Member

Saturn Owners (or anyone else) - advice?

Other than telling me to swap in a SOHC and 5-speed, I'm looking to hear all the tricks to getting the best FE out of my '96 SL2 auto.

Here's what I have planned or have already done, please chime in with advice and other mods I should plan to do....

Already Done:
Plugs/wires are new within the last 5k mi.
engine coolant temp senor and connector new
EGR cleaned and functioning well
195* themostat replaced
PCV valve replaced
Changed driving style to very slow in city, easy on throttle from redlights and I now don't do any more than 60 mph on the interstate.

Interested in/Planning to try:
catch-can beween PCV valve and intake
Adding a 2nd intake air temp (IAT) sensor in parallel to OEM one
relocate these to the top of the air box, after the filter
Add hot-air intake to airbox via heat from exhaust manifold/dryer ducting
Block off some of the front radiator inlet to help insulate under the hood
3 oz. acetone per fill up for 3 or 4 tanks (mostly to help clean, as I've read it doesn't change much)

Possible aero mods:
slight belly pan under front end - still have no ideas on materials
some kind of rear diffuser or "pan" to keep air from going up inside rear bumper
removal of OEM spoiler

Anyone and everyone, please feel free to give advice!

I'm looking to take my average of 27mpg and get up to 30+

Thanks,

John

'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 03:47 PM   #2
Registered Member

Yah, aero is your best bet with an automatic and minimize driving in stop and go, try and keep the converter locked and the car moving. taller front tires might help (reduce windshield rake and increase the gear ratio 3% maybe.

I just thought racer might be up for a trans swap is why I mentioned it.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:36 AM   #3
Registered Member

I'd swap the trans if I could find one that was already out of the car. I'd rather not go pull a trans, then pull mine, then add the 5-speed. That's more effort than I'm willing to perform while my auto is still working fine.

I'm leaving for a few days this weekend and wont need to fill up on gas until Wed/Thur. but when I do, I'll learn the benefits of my new driving techniques!! I'm very excited.

I've got 255 miles on this tank so far and I'm not at E yet, which is generally 9.5 gallons to fill up at E. So I'm thinking I'm probably around 29 MPG right now which would be a 7% gain!

Next fill up I'm testing acetone in 3 oz per tank, tires to 45psi, and no more warming the car up in the morning... just drive it nice and easy.
'01 KTM Duke 2
Old 12-22-2007, 04:00 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
remember to try different mixtures of acetone. different cars respond differently to certain amounts. some do best at 1oz/10 gallons, some do best with 3oz/10 gallons. BTW add it per gallon, not per tank. it's more accurate
mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 10:15 PM   #5
Registered Member

hehe thats the exact same year make model as my sisters car that blew a piston at 140K(or somehting majorly let go, zero compression on #3 cyl, top end looked fine from under the valve cover) still ran on 3 cyl, not well and a HUGE cloud of blue smoke... if i rememebr right those cars were pretty well aero freindly. long slanted hood to a point, windshiled about the same angle, except the backend just kinda cut off sharply.

how do the vaccum lines look? can you rub your hand down them and your hand doesnt turn colors?(shouldnt, replace if they do)
Cleanall the engien grounds and any other grounds you can, almost 12 years is a long time for corrosion to build up.
check the spare tire for proper PSI (should be 60)

what i would do is take it to a reputable tire shop and have them do a free alignment check, stuff wears out/breaks in over time. easy to gain back some tire life/handling/suspention component life/ and possiby a mpg.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 08:19 AM   #6
Registered Member

I would do the WAI mod and look into the pans.

I should be out right now working on my rear pan...
psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:10 AM   #7
Registered Member

if you look up members you'll find "lovemysan" who owns an SL1 with a full underbody pan. It's amazing and very inspirational... although, i'd want to make mine where it could very easily be taken apart for service.

So for acetone, we're talking 1 oz per gallon for 10 gallons... or possibly 3 oz. per gallon for 10 gallons? This sounds much better than 3 oz. per 10 gallons.

I'm going to construct that WAI soon too... very soon!

I have new tires (Kumho 732 Touring Plus) with a new alignment done 5k mi. ago as well.

I easily average 27 which I enjoy, but I think more and more of selling the SL2 w/ the DOHC for an SL1 SOHC w/ 5-speed. Its a commuter car, I don't care what it looks like or how it performs. If it'll move from point A to point B, I'm happy.

Any other suggestions?
'01 KTM Duke 2
Old 12-28-2007, 02:31 PM   #8
Supporting Member

Work on the HAI first. Also block the grill for the trip. In the winter you'll need a well sorted HAI to get you into the highly effecient 170f's. I run a 3x14" grill opening for temps under 25f. For temps higher I use 3x6 up to 3x14" opening year round. Its also nessacary to seal the areas between the grill and radiator. You don't want high pressure air going out the bottom of the bumper and not through the radiator. The front belly prevents this.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote