Saw an idiot today - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2010, 10:36 PM   #11

The slow lane on I-15 between Baker and Primm is separated by a solid white line from the other two lanes of traffic and is clearly marked for trucks and slow traffic only. It's illegal to cross a solid white line in California.

FrugalFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:43 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
what happens when a slow person is in the far left lane? then noone can pass?
It's illegal for the slowpoke to hog the left lane and illegal to pass him on the right. Neither offense has probably ever been enforced in the history of mankind. I hate laws like that...if it doesn't need to be enforced, it doesn't need to be a law - and if it does need to be a law, then it damn well needs to be enforced. Speed limits are the same way. Raise them to the maximum allowable speed, then enforce them strictly. We'd all be better off.

I pass on the right plenty.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:22 AM   #13
Site Team / Moderator

AFAIK its illegal to cross a solid (lane marking) line of any color. In the rare occasion that I am trying to pass a vehicle that is going slow in the left lane (I'm usually in the far right lane being passed) I will flash my lights first, and give them an opportunity to move over before I pass on the right. A good rule of thumb is to look to your right, if anyone is passing, or has passed you, then you need to move over at least one lane.

Jay2TheRescue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:13 AM   #14

I've seen state troopers pull over fast and middle lane slow traffic, in Arizona and California. In each case, the troopers tailed the slowpoke, signaled right to indicate an intended pass, and when the road hog failed to respond, they turned on their red lights and pulled him over.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:42 AM   #15
Site Team

I know that in England, they take "undertaking" (like overtaking, but done in the wrong lane) very seriously. The first time I did it with an English friend in the car, he reacted as if I blew a stop sign at full speed.

BTW I believe in Vermont, a double-yellow line only signifies that they advise against passing there- but it is still legal to do so. That might have changed.

-BC
Old 02-18-2010, 08:39 AM   #16
Registered Member

oh i didnt know the slow lane was a designated solid white lane, yea thats illegal. im used to IL where we get a very rare hill haha.

in IL when its double solid yellow its illegal to pass no matter what (well within reason, if you can see ahead and need to get around a tractor then yea you can)
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:42 PM   #17
Registered Member

All of the climbing lanes I've seen on the east coast have just been a third lane (separated by a dashed line like the others) that shows up on the right at the bottom of a hill and merges back in at the top, accompanied by "slow traffic keep right" and/or "climbing lane" signs.
The only lanes I've seen with a solid separator have been bike, HOV and bus lanes.
GasSavers_bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:45 PM   #18

I drove in the slow lane to keep my 39.5 mpg trip average with my SE-R. The irony is I did the same trip in November with my wife's AT Hyundai Elantra and got 41 mpg.

Here's a link to photos of I-15. The opening photo shows the solid-striped truck lane at Halloran Summit. Search for "Halloran Springs Road overpass" on the webpage, and click on the associated photo to see the signage.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:14 AM   #19

I see stupid people
Philip1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:22 AM   #20
Registered Member

"Saw an idiot today "

Only one?
Dam that would be a GREAT day for me!

Jim

Ignorance is lack of knowing; stupidity is false logic
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote