Screw the new civic and the fit, this baby is just right... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2006, 04:01 PM   #1
Registered Member

Screw the new civic and the fit, this baby is just right...

The 2007 toyota yaris
http://www.toyota.com/yaris/index.html

5 speed manual is 2,288 lbs and gets 34mpg city and 40mpg freeway. While the honda fit gets 33 for city and 38 for hwy, pathetic.

not to mention the 4 door yaris looks cool. The sides are corollish and the front and back is camrish.

Put some lightweight rims on it, take out the spare and inflate the tires and I'm sure it will do 40mpg city and 45mpg freeway.

it costs $11,825 for the 4 door. Not a bad deal.

I'm not saying I'm buying it because it's cheaper to drive my reliable gas guzzling heavy car but when it dies it would be a good idea to buy this yaris. I think my car will last me another 6-7 years so I might get a second gen yaris or a 3rd gen prius.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 04:04 PM   #2
*shrug*

I think your mpg goals for

I think your mpg goals for it are a little optimistic based on those mods...

Anyway, the yaris is a replacement for the echo, which I believe got better mileage, so I think "boo toyota."

EDIT: Echo got 35/42, so yeah.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 04:13 PM   #3
Registered Member

They are not optimistic at

They are not optimistic at all. I increased 4mpg on my gas guzzler by just inflating the tires and the 2 trays.

my oem wheels are 20 pounds each. If you install lighter wheels the car will receive better mpg. Also if you add taller tires even better mpg.

Not to mention i'm not your average american. I don't have a gut around my knees. My weight is below 130lbs fully dressed. So that is some more weight reduction.

Old 03-20-2006, 04:17 PM   #4
*shrug*

Quote:They are not

Quote:
They are not optimistic at all. I increased 4mpg on my gas guzzler by just inflating the tires and the 2 trays.
I increased my MPG none by adding 15 pounds to all my tires.

Quote:
my oem wheels are 20 pounds each. If you install lighter wheels the car will receive better mpg. Also if you add taller tires even better mpg.
Your wheels are not yaris wheels.

Quote:
Not to mention i'm not your average american. I don't have a gut around my knees. My weight is below 130lbs fully dressed. So that is some more weight reduction.
50-100 pounds will net .5-1% increase, which is .15-.3 mpg approximately.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:25 PM   #5
Driving on E

Re: They are not optimistic at

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
You only weigh 130lbs? Why in the world are you driving that boat then?

Get yourself a canoe, or a kiyak.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 04:35 PM   #6
Registered Member

Re: They are not optimistic at

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
You only weigh 130lbs? Why in the world are you driving that boat then?

Get yourself a canoe, or a kiyak.
I want a canoe and will probably get one too. I don't drive a boat, more like a cargo ship. My Iron engine weighs more than a v6 motor.

Old 03-21-2006, 10:29 AM   #7
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
does anybody else think its

does anybody else think its strange that the yaris hatch weighs 2# more than the sedan?? and its also 2.5in taller??

anyway, it does look a lot better than the fit, but its still 5 feet tall too much for such a narrow car. havent they ever heard of the golden ratio???
Old 03-21-2006, 10:47 AM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
heavier

Hey glass is really heavy so if it has a slightly larger rear window or a side window then that is more weight - man that hatchback is small. Bet you have a hard time fitting stuff in the back from the way the sides of the roof taper inwards - been there seen that in a 3 year old Volvo wagon and wacked my head good in the driver seat - no freeking room to move either. Now I know where all the ViewPoint crap is coming from on my client computers - damn 3D viewing software. You would think they could get the MPG up a little more - I just did the Ocean Drive run but had to detour as they are digging up the roads for new water pipes - still got 46.3 MPG with two red lights . . . damn I drive good!
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:33 PM   #9
*shrug*

Quote:does anybody else

Quote:
does anybody else think its strange that the yaris hatch weighs 2# more than the sedan?? and its also 2.5in taller??

anyway, it does look a lot better than the fit, but its still 5 feet tall too much for such a narrow car. havent they ever heard of the golden ratio???
The echo, yaris, and new corolla are all tall and narrow, I dunno why. Makes me puke though.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:50 PM   #10
Registered Member

lol just because the fit

lol just because the fit lagged behind a few numbers doesn't make it horrible. I still think fit is the better car because of standard safety features (toyota canada totally boched us, while the fit here in canada has a high msrp) and if I had to guess, is probably the better FF car if both of them were to race each other.

What also makes it exceptional is the cargo storage, compared to the yaris, the fit can "fit" anything you ask for.

Now... if yall only like hatches like we do however i'm more excited about the fit hybrid than any of the eco cars coming out right now since 1) they are all overpriced imo... its almost like car companies can charge a premium for efficent cars. Efficent no longer means cheap unless you go for a corolla or even a 7th gen civic if you can find a low mileage one.

and 2) the cars themselfs... are smaller than their economy counterparts (civic corolla, any car in that category) yet more expensive than their larger cousins. Sure honda fit is smaller but for the same price, you can get a fully loaded mazda 3.

but you'll deal with the gas prices, and car companies got you on that one!

From a Canadian point of view ^^