Self Health Poll - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: How do you approach your own healthcare?
i fully depend on traditional healthcare including prescription drugs, MDs, and govt regulation. 3 23.08%
i believe drugs, govt, and MDs serve a purpose, but natural remedies should be used as well. 8 61.54%
i couldn't care less...i'll drink, smoke, and eat twinkies until i die. 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2009, 06:51 AM   #1
Registered Member

Self Health Poll

My self help health care thread got me thinking...i wonder how we at GS as a community take care of ourselves in regard to health. many of you no doubt would like to stay out of a discussion or debate of this nature, but if you will, please simply let me know where you stand just by voting. comments are of course welcome in you so choose. your vote will not be visible to others.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:24 AM   #2
Registered Member

For the purposes of taking your poll I assumed that by "natural remedies" you meant "claimed remedies not conclusively supported by scientific evidence".

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:25 AM   #3
Registered Member

in case you missed the other thread, natural remedies are including, but not limited to...
chiro care
supplements to replace drugs of non-life threatening issues(blood pressure,cholesterol, heartburn, pain,etc)
even exercise and meditation to get off drugs
drinking more water
Old 09-06-2009, 07:26 AM   #4
Registered Member

There's no way I can view grouping exercise, supplements, and the full range of what can be called chiropractic treatments into a single answer as reasonable. You need more options; your biases are absurdly evident.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:32 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilian View Post
For the purposes of taking your poll I assumed that by "natural remedies" you meant "claimed remedies not conclusively supported by scientific evidence".
no, i'm saying, for example...

if you have high blood pressure, instead of taking medication, use meditation.
if you have pain, try an herbal pain rub or accupressure, instead of aspirin.
if you have high cholesterol, try exercise and nutritional changes, instead of plavix.

scientific evidence means nothing, when you treat the symptom, yet leave the cause unaddressed AND affect the kidneys and liver when taking a drug. it is ABSOLUTELY impossible to research what lobbyists do to affect studies and the FDA.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:33 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Voted second one merely because of the exercise being included in natural remedies. They can drug you all they want but if you weigh 400 pounds, eat crap food all day, and do absolutely nothing but lay around or go around town on your wheelchair you're gonna die.

Protonix worked for my acid reflux but I noticed that when I went to the gym regularly that I only needed something for heartburn once every few weeks instead of a couple of times a week so that's been my motivation to keep it up. I've read from some gastrointerologists that taking an acid supplement is supposed to help with acid reflux but I haven't tried it yet.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:37 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
There's no way I can view grouping exercise, supplements, and the full range of what can be called chiropractic treatments into a single answer as reasonable. You need more options; your biases are absurdly evident.
what i'm asking is do you depend on the current system of FDA regulations, drugs, and MDs ALONE? or do you also incorporate supplemental methods in your health care strategy?

the argument can be made that both traditional and non-traditional medicine has quacks and/or shortfalls, so it's really a moot point.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:45 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
your biases are absurdly evident.
if you AND a family member were injured by a vaccination, you would be too. i've seen enough to know that political conspiracies are not the only legit ones.

i know soooo many people that have opened their eyes to this subject. and i have helped many people as well. of course, i have hard-core associates that believe no drug is a good drug. even that view could be applied for certain individuals i suppose, it's just not my view.

if bias means educating the public, i'm guilty as charged!
Old 09-06-2009, 07:49 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjones96 View Post
Voted second one merely because of the exercise being included in natural remedies. They can drug you all they want but if you weigh 400 pounds, eat crap food all day, and do absolutely nothing but lay around or go around town on your wheelchair you're gonna die.

Protonix worked for my acid reflux but I noticed that when I went to the gym regularly that I only needed something for heartburn once every few weeks instead of a couple of times a week so that's been my motivation to keep it up. I've read from some gastrointerologists that taking an acid supplement is supposed to help with acid reflux but I haven't tried it yet.
i know that poll choice is vague, but i agree that we should move away from drug independence as much as possible, not abandon them entirely. but thank you for getting my point.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:56 AM   #10
Registered Member

Max, i was watching Meet the Press today at the gym. the was a gentleman talking about the internet in regard to healthcare. he basically said that the net is a sewer of info and must be sifted thru by the surfer/reader.

i fully under stand that MANY supplements are garbage at best. i simply do not trust the feds and manipulation of lobbyists. i could site some real life stories about drug companies, doctors, and lobbyists getting fined/arrested that you'd never see in the mainstream media.

but, who knows, because the feds were involved, maybe said individuals/groups were really innocent. i generally get a lot of info from national med journals. when the MDs question their own practices, i pay attention!