Skid Marks on my Silk Shorts - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2006, 03:51 PM   #1
Registered Member

Skid Marks on my Silk Shorts

Well, not really skidmarks, more like a giant 7 ft crease. As if spending the holiday weekend with my in laws didn't suck mightily, the other thing that happened made it even more memorable.

I had just pulled into my father-in-laws driveway from the 8 hour Raliegh-Pittsburgh drive at 2PM on Thursday. I had an uneasy feeling as I saw all of his Thanksgiving dinner guests gathered around the Prius (Silk Shorts) with mouths wide open. Evidently, my sister-in law was attempting to back out to the driveway in her brand new Honda Odyssey. In an awesome display of superior depth perception, she managed to rearrange the molecular structure of the Prius passenger side front door, fender and bumper cover, leaving a 7 foot long scar. The Odyssey suffered damage to the bumper cover and fender. The repair estimate, which also included a new trim ring and repainted wheel, came in at $2211. Since the family and household goods are moving this week, we won't be able to have the repairs made until we get things settled in Raliegh.

The good news is that our RAV 4 arrived at the dealership today. We will pick it up as soon as the wife and kids make it down. At least I still have the VX to drive until the Prius is ship shape. The VX is for sale on craigslist right now. A few nibbles but no bites. Someone is gonna get one heck of a FE machine.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:33 PM   #2
Registered Member

Aaahh, that happened to me! I once chose the wrong quadrant of a friend's driveway to park in for the day. Her sister managed to leave a crease along the driver's door, the rear door, and most of the rear quarter panel with her Taurus while we were out. How she didn't realize what was going on within the first three feet is a complete mystery. The repair bill was comparable to yours. At least it's a newer car so the paint match won't be too hard for the body shop.

You are going to have to let us know how that Rav does in the FE game.

Old 11-27-2006, 05:46 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brick

You are going to have to let us know how that Rav does in the FE game.
Yes.
The wife is getting a scanguage for Christmas!

Old 11-27-2006, 06:09 PM   #4
Tuggin at the surly bonds

Ouch! Sorry to hear about that. My Caddy magnet has been in the body shop since the 30th (yes, almost a month). Best of luck.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:20 PM   #5
Registered Member

Realy sorry to hear about your poor car, I know the feeling, but slightly differently. I did a very good job greasing my shorts this morning, but for a much different reason.

Last night, it rain/snowed for a long while creating a nice slick layer of ice all over the road. This isn't exactly new for anyone from minnesota, but always good for some unique car acrobatics. On my way to school I have to cross the river on a rather steep bridge leading to a hair pin corner. I decided to take it easy since bridges generally freeze up harder than surrounding pavement. (more surface area, cool faster) I approached the top of the bridge around 15 mph, as soon as I got all the way on it I realized this wasn't going to be good.

My front wheels quickly locked up, so I let off enough to gain some grip to keep me in my lane. By this point I look down to see 20 mph, NOT good. I then do some threshold braking, only to realize I'm still in fast idle, so the back tires are still pushing. Instead of shifting to neutral I apply some more pressure. Nothing, even with all 4 wheel's locked up, the excessively small contact patches, are not enough to slow down 4300 lbs of Detroits Finest. I realize there is no way to make this corner, so I'm faced with a few options,
1. Slide sideways and hope the curb is enough to slow the car from hitting the houses at the hills bottom. I would probobly roll, hit a house, or bend my rims if I did this though.
2. I thought maybe I could get close to the curb and ride the curb around the corner instead of smashing into it, or jumping over it. There is another road that leaves this road at the bottom, so I'd plow straight into a stopsign and curb if I tried this.
3. My last idea is to just go straight. Jump over the curb, cut across a lawn, heading towards the few trees between a narrow winding gravel road and the river. On the other side of the road is a few houses before a sharp corner under a railraod bridge with trees on the other side. Realizing this was one of the better choices, I let off the brakes, glance down to see the speedo rise back up to 40 mph, and jump the curb.

While I gracefully float a few inches off of the frozen blades of grass I momentarily glance left to see a few cars heading into the corner from the other direction, most likely pondering why there is a car flying over the neighbors lawn. I land smoothly with my front tires coming down on the icey nearly friction free grass. I grab a small amount of brake to attempt to loose some momentum for the quick switchbacks ahead, only to realize icey grass is more slippery than icey concrete. I slide over this onto the rough gravel road where I'm Extremely grateful to find the ice is not thick enough to cover up it's rough texture, which affords me enough friction to slow down for the corners. Needless to say, I will be taking the much longer, less steep road to school tommorow, and bring a spare pair of shorts.

I'll attach a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	today.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	57  
Old 11-28-2006, 06:40 PM   #6
Registered Member

theclencher,

hear the forcast for tommorow? more ice
Old 12-02-2006, 04:13 AM   #7
Registered Member

Dropped it off at the body shop yesterday. I should have her back by Friday.