Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

View Poll Results: Do you smoke?
Yes, I smoke 5 9.09%
No, I do not smoke 45 81.82%
I used to smoke, but I quit 5 9.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2007, 05:36 PM   #11
Registered Member

Smoking leads to premature aging, death and suffering, and an empty(er) wallet. So, no, I no longer smoke. That wasn't an option though.

Erdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:43 PM   #12
Registered Member

As does life...

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:39 PM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Elf - Ok, edited the poll for you guys, I had totally forgot about that option, lol.

Thanks for all of your support as well. This has been the best forum on the intarweb EVAR!

Silveredwings - Yes, it was an internal decision. I made it, finally, and feel a great sense of sticking with it this time. the other times I tried to quit I did it more as a test and that attitude didn't work well for me.

UfoTofU - Chantix is taken for about three months then stopped, that's when it comes down to brass tacks and I get to keep on trucking with my will power. But if I feel that I might slip, I can take it again before i even start smoking and the cravings would be gone.

cfg83 - I've tried the patches and gums before...the problem was that there is nicotine in them. In my eyes, Chantix was the way to treat my addiction to it. They say it takes 2-3 days for the nicotine to leave your body. And once I hit day three I wanted only one or two cigarettes a day. Even then, I would only take a few drags, gag a little, then snuff the cigarette.

csrmel - My wife's smoking actually annoys me more than anything now. She doesn't smoke around me or our kid at all, but when she walks into the house after a smoke we can tell. We like to politely remind her that it stinks, lol.

In the past week my whole opinion on smoking has switched back to that of a person that has never smoked. I think it's disgusting, but the difference is, I know what it's like to be addicted to cigarettes. I don't go bashing people for smoking (you guys are great and supportive), but I do try to coerce them if They are a close friend or loved one, usually by telling them about the Chantix if they've tried other ways of quitting without success.

Nicotine addiction is the same as a heroine addiction, the only difference is that cigarettes are legal.

trebuchet03 - lol, Yeah, well it's rarely above 40°F around here now so the windows are always closed now, but if I did still smoke I would crack them just enough to evacuate the smoke. During summer I usually have the drivers side wide open because I have no A/C in my VX (not that I'd want anything that would rob my Vx of anymore power anyways, lol)

Thanks again so much for your words of encouragement and insight people!

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:04 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
So I had my last cigarette on the evening of October 22nd this year. It's been 18 days now of success. My sense of smell has returned (after about 8 days) and my energy levels are slowly rising.

This is the 6th time I've tried to quit smoking. I started smoking about 4 years ago and am 29 years old.

I am currently taking Chantix (a pill) to assist in my smoking cessation. It's helped immensely by eliminating cravings for me. In fact, only three days after starting to take Chantix I cut down from one pack (20 cigs) a day down to 3 to 5 cigarettes a day. When I was getting ready for bed on the 22nd and having my last cigarette, I only took two drags off o it and said "That's enough for me". Haven't had one since then.

So that took care of the chemical addiction side of smoking. For the physical habit side of it, I had a plastic looking cigarette called an ENDit stick. There is no nicotine it it but rather a small, porous packet inside the tube that contains white tea extract and pipe tobacco scent. The bad habit I had was every time I got into my car, I would grab a cigarette and light up (of course not when my child was in the car though). I have since stopped using even the ENDit stick since this Tuesday.

So I'm doing good and things are looking up. Now only if I could get my wife to quit smoking.

Please share your smoking/quitting experiences here as well.
good for you! i must admit ive tried cigaretes and cigars, but to me, i didnt see anyhting special about doing it...lol i cant even afford them!

in IL come jan 1st there is NO smoking in public places. theres currently no smoking on hopsital property or certian businesses. im glad somehtings beeing done, at my school catipilar people come for training there and id say 90% of em smoke, and of couse they go outside and right infront of the doors to the building. and the fresh air intake for the air system for th ebuildign is close to those doors. so all the damn cigarete smoke get sucked intot eh buildign and blasted in the classrooms....
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:37 AM   #15
Supporting Member

TomO -

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
[B]...

cfg83 - I've tried the patches and gums before...the problem was that there is nicotine in them. In my eyes, Chantix was the way to treat my addiction to it. They say it takes 2-3 days for the nicotine to leave your body. And once I hit day three I wanted only one or two cigarettes a day. Even then, I would only take a few drags, gag a little, then snuff the cigarette.

Ok, I see. Yeah, taking the nicotine out of the equation is the better way to go.

Quote:

csrmel - My wife's smoking actually annoys me more than anything now. She doesn't smoke around me or our kid at all, but when she walks into the house after a smoke we can tell. We like to politely remind her that it stinks, lol.

In the past week my whole opinion on smoking has switched back to that of a person that has never smoked. I think it's disgusting, but the difference is, I know what it's like to be addicted to cigarettes. I don't go bashing people for smoking (you guys are great and supportive), but I do try to coerce them if They are a close friend or loved one, usually by telling them about the Chantix if they've tried other ways of quitting without success.

My Dad used to smoke a pipe, so I never knock people for smoking. He doesn't smoke anymore. When I see a pipe shop, I have an urge to go in because tobacco was the "easy present" for Dad. Now I catch myself !

Quote:
Nicotine addiction is the same as a heroine addiction, the only difference is that cigarettes are legal.
It's funny you said that, because I was thinking of methadone in comparison to Chantix when I was reading your post.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:56 PM   #16
Registered Member

Cigarettes don't have to have nicotine in 'em...
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 03:30 PM   #17
Registered Member

I was looking for the "No, not since I was last on fire" option.

Actualy had a jacket catch on fire from a D-cell nicad glo starter.. Went something like... Hey, you smell smoke? Well yea, and its coming out your pocket!
Old 11-12-2007, 07:38 PM   #18
Registered Member

I may give the Chantix a try. Cant seem to get it whipped with will power, patchs, gum or other meds, natural or medical....

I made it 11 months once. Then freaked out....

OOO-well
psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:43 PM   #19
*shrug*

Smoking is for Krazy Kool Kidz.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:53 PM   #20
Registered Member

Perhaps that just makes us one tobacco to sugar cane plant closer to more sustainable ethanol production.

When people stop smoking it, they'll start growing real crops on the land - even if it turns out to be hemp.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote