Steel Wheelbarrow Handles - $10.68 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-24-2009, 06:54 AM   #1
Registered Member

DIY Steel Wheelbarrow Handles - $10.68

I have an old rusty wheelbarrow and the handles were shot so I looked into new ones and the cheapest I could find around here would've been $27, which is rather a lot for a wheelbarrow that's seen better days. Instead I bought a 10' piece of 1.5" electrical conduit for $10.68. Handles are usually 60", so cutting it in half was perfect (if you ever do this, make sure to put the cut end away from the handles to avoid sharp edges and the need for grinding). I considered welding the fittings onto it but decided ease of removal was worth some drilling, especially since I already had all the bolts. Even if I'd gone with store bought handles I'd still have had to drill the holes, although drilling hardwood is arguably easier. The handles not being square didn't seem to matter very much to assembly. The tubing was a little large to be comfortable in my hands, so I flattened the handle area a bit with a large hammer, taking care to make the flat aligned vertically. Not the prettiest result, symmetry-wise, but perfectly functional.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:49 PM   #2
Registered Member

fatastic idea! i was thinking for $27, you could almost get a new one... http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/...sCompareItems=

i like TS as a substitute for home depot/lowes(when possible) because the pay lines are much shorter!

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:56 PM   #3
Registered Member

Good thinking.

I just got my first wheelbarrow the other week... $2 at a yard sale

As you might guess it needs paint.... but got given half a can of yellow tremclad... so sometime I'll have a shiny banana-barrow...
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:31 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I love Tractor Supply Company. I was very happy when they put one up near my house.

I have an old wheelbarrow in my yard that I never use, because I never need to wheelbarrow anything.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:08 PM   #5
Registered Member

I got mine for free, sort of; inherited it. I had made spruce replacement handles a few years ago, but after living outside for all that time and not being painted a half load of gravel broke one of them when I tried to keep it from tipping over on a slight hill (right at a bolt hole, like you'd expect). Besides, I was tired of always underfilling it because of the weak handles.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 05:10 PM   #6
Registered Member

HC,

if you go to the TS site and register your email, they're offering a 15% discount and free shipping(to the store) on purchases over $50.

that's requires the premise that you need something however. i'm not one to use a coupon just because.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote