Stretching the shrinking dollar - Page 6 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-18-2008, 02:30 PM   #51
Registered Member

maybe minor, but for a movie junkie like myself it was awesome. We canceled our cable completely, in favor of a netflix subscription. $70 + on cable vs. $18 for netflix, plus free shipping and we've got a steady flow of eyecandy around that we *want* to watch, rather than 300 channels of crap and advertisements.

also, gardening has helped. We're vegetarians, and growing our own food is tastier, cheaper and a heck of a lot more satisfying. Compost all our kitchen goodies = less trash.

Old 05-18-2008, 03:25 PM   #52
Registered Member

I discoverd one other way for me to save a little bit at least through the warmer part of the year: I just shaved my head.

This is not the first time I have shaved my head, and in fact, it's the first time I've gone 6 months in the last 5 years where I have not shaved it. At any rate, in my air conditioned house of 72F on a 92F day, I was still sweating my butt off after a long day out working in the heat and sun, so I decided it was time to do something about it. The end result is that I almost instantly went from uncomfortably warm with long mop of hair to completely comfortable. I could feel a significant temperature difference on my scalp and was able to reject the urge to reach for the thermostat.

Bonus: No more shampoo and shorter showers. In our house we go through at least $20 worth of shampoo a month, and me shaving my head will knock down about a 1/4 of that. Plus I literally spend a good 1-2 minutes less in the shower because a complete simple handsoaping of the scalp and rinsing takes less than 30 seconds.

It's not much really, but I'm happier for it and saving at least $5/month for the change. I would have thrown in the cost reduction for haircuts, but the truth is that I haven't had one until yesterday, since the last time I shaved my head 7 months ago.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:48 PM   #53
Registered Member

Snax,

i think you under estimate yourself. besides, even if it were only $5, imagine saving that much for every change made.

also, with higher gas prices affecting the cost of goods and services, eliminating any consumer spending is an added bonus!
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:38 AM   #54
Registered Member

I'm having trouble convincing the rest of the family to shave their heads too.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:26 AM   #55
Registered Member

Shaving your head is a great way to save some dough. I started shaving mine with a razor about 7 years ago, but the excessive wear my hard head brought on upon those expensive triple blade razors made it a little cost prohibitive after a few months. I chose to let it grow out a little more and just buzzed it off with some clippers instead. Not a bad deal, I spend $15 on a pair of clippers versus the same on one haircut and just do myself once a month. An average bottle of shampoo can last me several months with as little hair as I have.

I've gone through 4 sets of clippers now due to wear and my lack of proper maintenance but I'm still in the good compated to having to spend $15 a month on a haircut over the years.

I've also switched to the generic 3-blade disposables for shaving now, do just as good of a job and for a lot less. I tend to use them until it hurts or the little lubrication strip falls off.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:44 AM   #56
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Okay, so shaving...Mach3 cartridges last forever on my uncommonly tough beard + sensitive skin combination. When they're worn they feel and shave like a brand new cheap razor, so I don't change them unless I have some reason to be ridiculously smooth.

Once a week, as a luxury, I shave with a straight razor. Mine has replacable blades, but the old-fashioned kind that you have to strop is certainly a great deal -- it never needs the blade replaced.

These days, I mostly shave with a Braun PocketGo electric. It costs $16 and comes with two AA batteries, which power it for many weeks (of course, I use Ni-Mh rechargables, which also last seemingly forever in it). It has a built-in cover that flips closed to protect the foil, and a little brush stored in it that I never use because I just blow or rinse it. It's totally waterproof. I've been shaving with it on weekdays for at least 6 months and have not had it wear down at all, unlike a $200 Braun rechargable self-cleaning unit I have that needs a new $35 head/foil every six months. Most importantly, it can handle my beard, leaving me smoother than the expensive one. It's the "miracle 100mpg carburetor" of shavers, except it really exists, really works, and is available in your local drug store.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:57 PM   #57
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelPanic View Post
I've also switched to the generic 3-blade disposables for shaving now, do just as good of a job and for a lot less. I tend to use them until it hurts or the little lubrication strip falls off.
i use slim twin. if you clean and dry, even a disposable, it will last for many extra shaves.

got that tip from a Clark Howard listener.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:10 PM   #58
Registered Member

I actually don't 'shave' my head with a blade, but just go as short as my $15 clippers allow. I use the same clippers for my beard 90% of the time.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:28 PM   #59
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post
I actually don't 'shave' my head with a blade, but just go as short as my $15 clippers allow. I use the same clippers for my beard 90% of the time.
the beard is a good point. I grew one for the first time this past year as a New Years's resolution ..I hate shaving anyway, and with the beard I went a good 4 months without needing razors. It got a bit too warm come the spring so I shaved it off, but I think I'm gonna grow a winter beard every year from now on.

Plus, it makes my l'il daughter giggle when I tickle her feet with it. Added bonus
Old 06-04-2008, 02:40 PM   #60
Registered Member

just found out my youngest child has been "hypermiling" in the shower by using shampoo and conditioner together.

the middle one, some time ago, put a grill block on her Bratz doll car.

and my oldest is doing a paper on fuel efficient cars.

with three girls, some might consider me a breeder, but at least my litter is conservation aware!