Stupid drivers - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-15-2008, 06:54 AM   #11
Registered Member

Was it your car's driveshaft that came unplugged? Or the benz?

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:13 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
That's mine. She drove off no problem.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:47 PM   #13
Registered Member

one idea (be it an expensive one) is a honda element.

it is all wheel drive (on demand) with a 2.4 liter V-tech engine. it gives it 160hp which may depend on year but it is peppy for a 4 banger. it is the same engine they used to use in the civic SI. obviously it isn't anywhere near as fast as the civic because of the size and gearing but it gives you pretty good power and I have personally gotten 26 mpg in my wife's element.

and on top of all that, it is a honda. that is a big reason that I got it. hers is an '04 and has over 100K miles on it already. no issues so far other than some bulbs that are blown.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:19 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
[...] with a 2.4 liter V-tech engine. [...] it is the same engine they used to use in the civic SI.
V-tech, huh?

I didn't realize they had gotten into the automotive industry.

In all seriousness though, that 2.4 liter engine is a K24-series engine. The Civic Si uses a K20. Yes, they're the same engine family, but the K20 is a 2.0 liter engine, and puts out just shy of 200 hp. The Element's K24 is set up for torque, the Civic's K20 is set up for power.
GasSavers_bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 03:47 AM   #15
Registered Member

I was actually referring to my 2004 one that did have the same engine (at least the same output) the newer SIs have 197hp but the old ones had right around the 160 mark. they didn't start the 197hp versions until the SIs got heavy. now the SIs weigh over 3K lbs.

even so, the 160hp is more than adequate for that vehicle.

*edit* you are correct about the 2.0 liter vs the 2.4 and the fact that the element has more torque but they both had 160hp

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...11/208664.html

it got to me so I had to look it up. one of the big selling features of the element was the improved gas mileage because of the 4 banger vs a V6. I still wondered about the power until someone said that it had the same power as the SI (bought mine in '04 so it had the same) I test drove one and I must say it is nice. It won't win any races or stomp anything from a stoplight but it is peppy. I ended up buying the one I test drove.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:47 AM   #16
Registered Member

The '02-05 Si was regarded by many enthusiasts as a pig. Curb weight creep together with the switch to strut-based suspension made the handling less than sporty. The variety of VTEC they used in it's K20 variant is a slightly updated version of VTEC-E. The increase in displacement gave it a bigger, flatter torque curve, but since it made no more power than the '99-00 Si, and was a good 150 lbs heavier, it actually accelerates slower than the previous generation.
The late model Si has the same bore, stroke and block design as the '02-05, yet uses a different cylinder head with a performance-VTEC implementation, letting it make 40 more HP than it's predecessor.
As for curb weight, the '02-05 Si hatch checks in at 2,740 lbs, the '06+ Si comes in at 2,886 lbs for the coupe, and 2,945 lbs for the sedan. In spite of the increase in weight and similar suspension, newer Si's reduced height, wider and longer wheel base, increased power and 6-speed transmission brought it back more in line with the Si lineage.
GasSavers_bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:08 AM   #17
Registered Member

back to my point though.

the element, having 160hp and roughly that much torque, makes for a pretty descent SUV as far as the get-up-and-go aspect.

it isn't cheap and I think they hold their value pretty well to if you are thinking used.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:55 PM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Damage tallied up to 11k, cars totaled.

I didn't actually see it but they said the force that pushed back on the drive shaft when the engine rebounded wrecked the rear suspension of the car and the front-end is ruined.

Funny, the pictures don't really look that bad...

And I've gotta comment on one thing. The amount of snail mail spam I've been getting from chiropractic offices and attorneys is ridiculous.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:47 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjones96 View Post
Damage tallied up to 11k, cars totaled.

I didn't actually see it but they said the force that pushed back on the drive shaft when the engine rebounded wrecked the rear suspension of the car and the front-end is ruined.

Funny, the pictures don't really look that bad...

And I've gotta comment on one thing. The amount of snail mail spam I've been getting from chiropractic offices and attorneys is ridiculous.
An attorney is probably not a bad idea.

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote