Tests - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-11-2010, 10:03 AM   #21
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Good point. Lots of teachers do buy a lot of supplies with their own money, which I'll never understand...they complain that education funding gets cut, but then they cover it up. If little Johnny comes home and says they couldn't use the chalkboard today because there was no chalk, parents will want something to change.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:10 PM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I disagree that many people would switch to home schooling. Most would not want to, and are not equipped to do so.
perhaps you haven't heard of virtual school. EVERYTHING is online and there is teacher support. in fact, teacher/student contact is mandatory.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:15 PM   #23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBob View Post
If you can live on 32k/year (especially if you are married and the only income in the family) then my hat's off to you!
i meant that in the context of living alone w/ no dependents(in or out of home).
Old 05-11-2010, 04:32 PM   #24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
Originally Posted by JoeBob
If you can live on 32k/year (especially if you are married and the only income in the family) then my hat's off to you!

i meant that in the context of living alone w/ no dependents(in or out of home).
If I lived by myself, I probably could, also. And have savings. Ahhh....those were the days...(smiles and sighs wistfully...)

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:52 PM   #25
Registered Member

If teachers were paid like athletes and entertainers were paid....
what do you suppose they would earn?
623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:08 PM   #26
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatto View Post
I suppose the only way to pay teachers the same way athletes and entertainers are paid would be on some sort of commission basis...give them a small cut directly from their students paychecks. The more earning power their students ultimately achieve, the higher their teacher's pay. It would require a lot of record keeping, but in this day and age, that would be doable. I think it would be quite an incentive for teachers to prepare their students for success...

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:20 PM   #27
Registered Member

Quote:
Good point. Lots of teachers do buy a lot of supplies with their own money, which I'll never understand...they complain that education funding gets cut, but then they cover it up. If little Johnny comes home and says they couldn't use the chalkboard today because there was no chalk, parents will want something to change.
yea but those same parents are against tax hikes especially those without kids in the school system

trust me ive been in classrooms where dry erase markers disappear and chalk didnt exist.

lol at my COLLEGE they were putting a limit on paper
yes regular ol photocopier paper

good ol f***ed up state of IL hasn't paid the school in a long while. pretty bad when an industrial electronics class cant afford wire so the teacher has to "procure" it through other means.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:49 AM   #28
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
yea but those same parents are against tax hikes especially those without kids in the school system
That was exactly my point. The parents are against paying more because they haven't suffered. If they see that there are real consequences when the school is underfunded, they might change their tune. Of course, it will only matter to the parents who give a damn, but there are enough around to make a difference. Those are also the ones who vote!

Those without kids in school will always be against paying more for school budgets.

Quote:
lol at my COLLEGE they were putting a limit on paper
yes regular ol photocopier paper
I work in IT at a college. Copiers and printers are part of my job. Believe me, there are very legitimate reasons for that. Students print with zero concern for paper usage, worse than they save fuel when they're driving with someone else paying for their fuel. They print whole books because they need one page and are too lazy to ask how to print a single page. They print multiple copies of things, walk to the printer, and throw most of it in the trash without even looking at it. Etc.

A hard limit that cuts them off with no option would be bad, but something to make them at least think about what they're printing might be good, and better would be if they pay for their printouts.

However, it's not just for the cost of paper. There are outside influences that seek to limit our use of paper for environmental reasons. Additionally, as a college in today's world, it's important to make sure students are capable of using electronic resources instead of having everything on paper. When I attend classes and watch students use the computer to present a Powerpoint, I become very worried about the future of the world.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:50 PM   #29
Registered Member

Quote:
That was exactly my point. The parents are against paying more because they haven't suffered. If they see that there are real consequences when the school is underfunded, they might change their tune. Of course, it will only matter to the parents who give a damn, but there are enough around to make a difference. Those are also the ones who vote!

Those without kids in school will always be against paying more for school budgets.

I work in IT at a college. Copiers and printers are part of my job. Believe me, there are very legitimate reasons for that. Students print with zero concern for paper usage, worse than they save fuel when they're driving with someone else paying for their fuel. They print whole books because they need one page and are too lazy to ask how to print a single page. They print multiple copies of things, walk to the printer, and throw most of it in the trash without even looking at it. Etc.

A hard limit that cuts them off with no option would be bad, but something to make them at least think about what they're printing might be good, and better would be if they pay for their printouts.

However, it's not just for the cost of paper. There are outside influences that seek to limit our use of paper for environmental reasons. Additionally, as a college in today's world, it's important to make sure students are capable of using electronic resources instead of having everything on paper. When I attend classes and watch students use the computer to present a Powerpoint, I become very worried about the future of the world.

oops i should have been more specific: they are limiting it to TEACHERS, students don't have access to those printers. Pretty bad when teachers cant even print out tests or informational sheets

the printers the students do have access to its 10 cents a page for B&W 15 for color. we have our student ID/school account on a card that we swipe and if there is no money in the account it doesn't print. so the ones who dont know how to consolidate get charged more, i for one always bring a flashdrive with me and save whatever i need on that and bring it up on any computer
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:52 PM   #30
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatto View Post
this brings up a good point about pay and EARNings. pro athletes often sign huge contracts and don't perform accordingly or as expected. some are "mis-scouted", while others simply don't have the work ethic needed to excel at the pro level.

point being that many times it really matters not what someone earns, but rather their work practices. i believe many corp and govt issues would work themselves out if the employees that made $30k/yr worked as hard as the ones making $300k.

don't throw rocks, i'm well aware of the elite earners that do not really earn their astronomical salaries, but the point cannot be denied--some individuals simply do not want to perform at a high level and subsequently succeed.

i can't tell you of how many guys that have complained to me over the years about pay and lack of promotion that PURPOSELY worked in a sub-par manner. i've met w/ teachers that gave me the same feeling. my dad always told me "you agreed to the pay and the job, right? well, do it the best you can or find something else!"