The Ford Fiesta will be making a comeback! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-01-2008, 09:26 PM   #1
Registered Member

The Ford Fiesta will be making a comeback!

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/..._cars_car_news

I love the direction that Ford is going in. I'm not sure if they actually have any hybrid vehicles right now, but they are definitely getting more out of the cars they have. I would love to buy a Fiesta!

atomicradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:57 AM   #2
Registered Member

1978 Fiesta: Germany
1988 Festiva: Japan
1994 Aspire: Korea
2010 Fiesta: ?
I sense a pattern, and I don't like where it leads.

<edit> from the link to the 2008 Geneva auto show:
"Jim Farley, Ford’s head of marketing, said, “The good news is that Ford of Europe has figured out how to make premium small cars. It will be built in Valencia, Nanjing, Thailand, and Cologne."
With the Euro/Dollar rates as they are, and the Spanish and German plants already nearing capacity for the European market, I wonder where might the North American units be produced and if Ford of Asia will similarly "figure out" how to build quality cars???<end>

Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:10 AM   #3
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
1978 Fiesta: Germany
1988 Festiva: Japan
1994 Aspire: Korea
I sense a pattern, and I don't like where it leads.

<edit> from the link to the 2008 Geneva auto show:
"Jim Farley, Ford’s head of marketing, said, “The good news is that Ford of Europe has figured out how to make premium small cars. It will be built in Valencia, Nanjing, Thailand, and Cologne."
With the Euro/Dollar rates as they are, and the Spanish and German plants already nearing capacity for the European market, I wonder where might the North American units be produced and if Ford of Asia will similarly "figure out" how to build quality cars???<end>
Aren't automakers like Honda and Toyota already exporting US made cars to Europe? If not I thought they were...

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:56 AM   #4
Registered Member

I want the one that weighs under 2200lb with the 90HP 1.3L motor, not the one that weighs 3500 with a shoehorned in 2.2 170 HP motor kthx.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:15 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
China. If not, Singapore or India. Just my guesses.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:54 PM   #6
Registered Member

The way things are going...it could be built here. By non-union labor working under 1 year on, 3 month off contracts at a little over minimum wage.

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:55 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
I want the one that weighs under 2200lb with the 90HP 1.3L motor, not the one that weighs 3500 with a shoehorned in 2.2 170 HP motor kthx.
Sarcasm not needed. I don't think any of us here are unaware that newer model cars are not as fuel efficient as the 1980s econoboxes. Unfortunately these kinds of cars are becoming harder and harder to find. At least Ford is making an effort here to bring more efficient cars into our market.

I just so happens that I DO have a 1988 Festiva with a 90HP 1.3L motor & a 5 spd manual. Sadly it is not a reliable enough vehicle for me to drive to and from university. I also like not being laughed at if I can help it.

atomicradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:17 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicradish View Post
Sarcasm not needed. I don't think any of us here are unaware that newer model cars are not as fuel efficient as the 1980s econoboxes. Unfortunately these kinds of cars are becoming harder and harder to find. At least Ford is making an effort here to bring more efficient cars into our market.

I just so happens that I DO have a 1988 Festiva with a 90HP 1.3L motor & a 5 spd manual. Sadly it is not a reliable enough vehicle for me to drive to and from university. I also like not being laughed at if I can help it.
LOL.. i was laughed at when I bought my vx... look whos laughing now
garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:34 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicradish View Post
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/..._cars_car_news

I love the direction that Ford is going in. I'm not sure if they actually have any hybrid vehicles right now...!
Ford Escape, and the Mercury Mariner & Mazda Tribute, have been around for a few model years now.

I enjoyed this quote about small cars...

"They all had one thing in common: they provided dispassionate but affordable basic transportation." Dispassionate...

I want diesel cars, personally.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:40 AM   #10
Registered Member

One thing small cars have in spades though is "fun" handling, BUT, you can very rarely take advantage of that in North America, with very few areas of "twisties" and meandering country roads. In Europe, it's like that all over the place, no grid system, roads followed contours or ancient "mule trails" or geographical features, or wound their way between fields, spread out in star formation from towns and villages, etc etc, the last people to have an organised road network in Europe were the Romans. Find any long straight bits on European roads and it was either done in the last 10 years, by fiat and siezure of lands, or it's on top of an ancient Roman road*.

Well understanding that you see that small cars with "gokart" handling are much more "fun" in Europe than they will ever be in the US, apart from pure city driving, and even then, in busy cities where you have to wait for pedestrians at intersections etc, and have to assume every other driver is drunk, stoned, deaf and blind, good handling isn't as much fun as it might be, you only get any driving satisfaction from being able to park easily. Add to that that big city streets are 50% potholes and 50% in use or abandoned tramlines and you kinda tend to want something with suspension that feels like it's not shaking the car apart when you go over them...

So, small cars have allll that against them in North America, and gas prices are gonna have to be double before many people will take those compromises without the "rewards" that Europeans get...

For example, back in the day in the UK, I had a car about Omni/Horizon/Golf/Rabbit sized. It had all of about 65HP and a 4 speed box, it was quite light, and came from the same "wheel at every corner, transverse engine" philosophy as the original Mini, it had the "big" version of the mini engine, 1275cc A series, well an A+, it was improved a touch. On two occasions driving it was particularly delightful, one was a long winding minor A road, 12-15 miles of short straights and tight corners, I got a "press on" driver behind me in a V8 Rover, now it's all double lines up the middle of the road, no overtaking for the whole way, and I know the road pretty well, so I decide to have some fun with him. I was cornering it at 50mph double footing it into the corners, and accelerating out as hard as I could, every time I went into a corner the rover was right on my ***, but coming out of every set of twisties, he was nowhere to be seen... then about halfway down the straight I'd see him come out, and the nose would go up as he floored it, and he'd catch right up and bury the nose again as I went into the corners far harder than he could....

Another time, I was in the Yorkshire dales, had to go up the side of a moor, road was very twisty and uphill about 1 in 4 in places, think of a section of pikes peak hillclimb, similar stuff. Had an SE6B, Reliant Scimitar behind me, considered a "real" sports car, had 2.5X my power for the same weight, I decide to "go for it" and start screaming up the hill in 2nd and 3rd, and he joins the game and is staying fairly close, but after 5 or 10 minutes of this his passenger is white faced, and he drops back... we pull over on top to read a monument... and have got out the car, walked over, read it, and are just getting back in when the Scimitar passes, the driver shakes his head and grins at us...

Those are the fun times in having a small car...

And this one time, at band camp, I came down the side of a mountain with the front brakes on fire, handbraking it round the hairpins, but that's a story for another time Just mentioning it for the point that some bigger cars would have killed me that day.

(*By the way, that makes for much better quality road surfaces, in some places the road bed is near 10ft deep, no subsidance to worry about, potholes only generally break through the "last layer" and they're cheaply "reskinned" with another inch of asphalt. Actually they seem to prepare new road beds a lot deeper over there too, going down 2 or 3 feet instead of 1.)

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote