the "going green" fad - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2009, 02:22 PM   #11
Registered Member

I think there's often too much emphasis on absolute efficiency gains utilizing systems that are too immature to see widespread deployment. We are generally so inefficient right now that just by taking simple measures with existing, well established methods we could realize a lot of the benefit. This would also allow time for new technologies to come of age.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:53 PM   #12
Registered Member

obviously there are ways to go green w/out buying new tech. this is what i do/have done personally...

installed efficient toilets and light bulbs
bought efficient appliances as needed(a/c and heat pump, clothes and dish washers to date)
made a canopy for my a/c unit w/ recycled lumber
shower w/ a bucket
traded my inefficient car for an efficient one
bought gasless yard maintenance equipment
and hypermiling techniques and mods of course

nothing new here, so i agree w/ maximilian. as previosly stated, i believe govt to be one of the greatest violators of waste. so, before passing industry destroying green legislation, our leaders should look in the mirror.

BTW, gotta mention that i estimate getting more than a year of shaves w/ a four pack of an expensive quad blade shaver(it was given to me). i clean AND dry the blades after each shave to extend the life significantly.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:09 PM   #13
Registered Member

My ex worked at the ski area in town and I knew the director of operations so I tried to get them to consider generating some of their own power for their snowmaking (takes a ton) and using the waste heat for their buildings since they were planning a renovation and expansion anyway. The engineering building at my school did this (only in winter, though since they had no cooling stacks). He said their parent company would never spring for the initial investment even if the numbers worked out. He was looking into possibly getting some standard generators just to avoid peak load electricity prices. They've gone independent since then so maybe I should drop him a line again. That family-owned parent company was bad news; proof that you should never mix nepotism and inbreeding.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:35 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecofarmer View Post
The wall mart they put up last year has skylights and when it?s sunny one out of every 4 lights will be one.

They also have a building attached to the side of the building that is an ice room. They say there?s a huge tank that they freeze solid at night and that they use to cool every thing in the store. They clamed it would be a 5 to 8 year pay off for the system and they use more power at night when the power is cheaper during the summer then they do during the day.

Working at WalMart for the past 11+ years I've seen the behind the scene transformations first hand. Use to be all we would recycle was cardboard, and tossed Styrofoam and plastics like no tomorrow. Now I see very little if any Styrofoam in transit shipping packaging. The protective plastic bags are recycled along with other plastics and paper. Empty bulk drug bottles, books, shredded paper, etc. The turn around has been incredible, and thats just behind the scenes.

The actual packaging the customer sees is now smaller, in a lot of packageing. What use to take one and a half trailers now just takes one. We use our fleet less.

WalMart has started working on creating goods with recycled materials. We can store all the wasted goods we want, but what good is said materials if they are not used.

Demanding that electronics we carry use less electricity. My entire TV wall will be Energy Star 3.0 compliant.

As to the blockhouse for ice. I believe an airport in TX (Dallas, Austin, Huston, or Fort Worth?) uses the same system. I think the big thing for WalMart is the retrofitting of the stores to recycle the waste heat from the coolers to heat the store during the winter months. Of course there is always the burning of spent motor oil and grease. (yawn)

Now if they can just install the lighting system at my store. (sigh)

Lets see, the ordering of local produce when available. The caring of organic food stuff if demanded. Working on only carrying organic cotton clothing.

Going Green, or Going Efficient? I prefer Going Green Myself.

Well, I'll get of my WalMart high horse. Just thought I would pass along what I know about my observations.

Its not that we use it, its how we use it.

OM

OokiiMamoru is offline   Reply With Quote