The Veg*n Poll - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Vegan, Vegetarian, Former, Omni?
Lacto-ovo Vegetarian 2 5.88%
Vegan 3 8.82%
Former Lacto-ovo 0 0%
Former Vegan 0 0%
Omnivore 29 85.29%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2007, 02:38 PM   #11
Supporting Member

SVOboy -

Standard issue Attachment 990VORE here.

CarloSW2
Attached Images

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:46 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
For you meat-eating people, MY nutritionist says that there are many good sources of protein, many of which are healthier than meats.
Your nutritionist and bowtie's nutritionist should duke it out

My Girlfriend's nutritionist says.... she has a B12 efficiency, eat more meat After later testing, it turns out she's missing the intrinsic factor and very little B12 actually passes from food to blood -- discovering and treating (I-M B12 injections) this resolved her dizziness/headaches 95% - +1 for the quality of life in my apartment

In any case.... One reason I eat meat/animal products.... high caloric density Not so great when you're trying to lose weight, but I'm 135lbs and just shy of 6' and do a lot of cardio... I can't exactly afford to lose weight

The irony of that statement above.... I'm actually making stir fry tonight, with tofu (and red/green peppers, zucchini, mushroom, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, baby corn...)

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:51 PM   #13
*shrug*

The interesting thing about b12 is that it's often cited as a reason for vegans to die, but it's very hard to find people who get B12 deficiencies due to a vegan diet.

Another interesting thing about meat is that the calories are also very different than other calories. Some huge study I read once discussed how chinese people have higher calorie diets, weigh less, but also eat less meat,
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:16 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:

Another interesting thing about meat is that the calories are also very different than other calories.
A calorie is a stand unit of energy... Like a mile is a standard unit of distance - well you could argue nautical mile versus mile (really, why take earth's curvature into consideration - it's flat! o.0)

Quote:
Some huge study I read once discussed how chinese people have higher calorie diets, weigh less, but also eat less meat
They also don't eat much in the way of Cheese - unlike the French that eat a lot of cheese (comparatively) and have a generally fattier diet + meat (and more types) and weigh less. But really, compare Americans as a whole to non Americans and the result is the non American is healthier

The biggest difference can be seen in the ingredients list... We eat chemicals. Convenience > Content. It's taken a bad bill of health to kick the "organic" movement forward with plenty of organizations ready to cash in

Quote:
but it's very hard to find people who get B12 deficiencies due to a vegan diet.
It's generally hard to find people with B12 deficiencies in general - most don't even realize it (my girlfriend is a perfect example, she had problems since she was 12 - she's now 22). They can have enough to stay alive, but not enough to be at "normal" levels - it doesn't help diagnosis that the body is very good at recycling B12. In any case, I remember a baby that died to this weird *** diet her mother put her on in S. Florida - it was mostly fruits, coconut milk and such... The poor kid died within a few months and the mother was charged with neglect. Truly not a representative sample of the population, but the mother produces milk after birth for a reason...

11/12
Old 10-17-2007, 04:08 PM   #15
Registered Member

let me carify: animal meat is the only way to get ALL amino acids. this is vital in repairing cells. thought the nutritionist say, a good animal protein for the last meal of the day is best for those who want to lose weight(no sugars or carbs before retiring the day). at least go light on the veggies there.

very interesting that gorillas are many times stronger than most men, yet they eat only veg protein. used to be into body building, and know that animal protein is a staple for them.

Treb, you'll have no trouble putting on weight as you get older. i've worked very hard at the gym to slim down and then build back up to a semi-lean 5'6" and 170lb. i need to be this size to handle my physical job. point being...
animal protein has helped A LOT.

SVOboy, good poll. different means(foods) for different ends.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:20 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
let me carify: animal meat is the only way to get ALL amino acids.
Quinoa has all 6 (or was it 8 - can't remember) essential amino acids

11/12
Old 10-17-2007, 04:41 PM   #17
*shrug*

I'll have to get off my butt and find the chinese study, because it's very interesting...while "calorie" may be generic, from what I remember, the researcher had found that the difference in food source allowed the Chinese in the study to consume more calories because of the way their bodies processed these calories...I forget though.

In any case, this is a poll, if anyone wants to argue about which is healthier I would gladly wait until the weekend rolls around and then break out some of my books on the subject...
Old 10-17-2007, 04:44 PM   #18
Registered Member

Omni

Whatever I can get on the road, fast. I usually have some almonds for lunch, if I can. Otherwise, it's traditional meat n' potatoes here.

I admire those who can alter their diets for the betterment of not only themselves, but for the environment in-general. It can't be easy...

RH77
Old 10-17-2007, 04:46 PM   #19
*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
I admire those who can alter their diets for the betterment of not only themselves, but for the environment in-general. It can't be easy...

RH77
Oh, but it is, . Surprisingly so, to be honest.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:54 PM   #20

Quote:
For you meat-eating people, MY nutritionist says that there are many good sources of protein, many of which are healthier than meats.
I concur, Sir!

MnFocus is offline   Reply With Quote